C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift solenoid gone bad in my Automatic??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
04 Torch Red Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift solenoid gone bad in my Automatic??

My 98 Vette's automatic transmission gear selector quit working. Wont engage in any gear and just feels like a toy when trying to shift in any of the selections. Car wont start in Parking at all. Did something break in the gear box? Plz help, thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Shift cable broken most likely, plenty of threads on it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 AM
04 Torch Red Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
GoBallsDeep!
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, happened to me. You can visually check to see if it's at the tranny by getting the rear up and looking before taking the console/shifter out to inspect. I made a thread on it. I've had both break
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 AM
romeorn
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 Torch Red Vert
My 98 Vette's automatic transmission gear selector quit working. Wont engage in any gear and just feels like a toy when trying to shift in any of the selections. Car wont start in Parking at all. Did something break in the gear box? Plz help, thanks.
Were you able to figure out what went wrong with your car? I had a similar occurrence, I turned on my car and reversed but I lost stopping ability and when I attempted to put it in Drive or Park... it just kept rolling back. If parked on a slope the car would roll on Park and I would need to place the hand-brake on to keep it from rolling. I just had it towed to the dealer and won't find out until tomorrow what is wrong with it. As for the selector, it just slipped from R to N and from N to D rather easily. And if on, D2 would slide easily to N. I've got a 2004 automatic 4 speed.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like a busted shift cable. I replaced mine about two years ago. Not too hard of a job but still a pita. Have to remove the h-pipe and tunnel cover. Other then that the cable just snaps into place. First check the trans under the car and also under the center console in case an end just popped outta place, it happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Shift solenoid gone bad in my Automatic??

Quick Reply: Shift solenoid gone bad in my Automatic??