C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rockers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 PM
rttmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about on a stock motor? I want to do this instead of the trunion upgrade. 1.7 or 1.8? Cam is in the future for my car. Just not yet? 1.7's are stock correct?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBLUECHEVE LLE
^^^did you have any clearing issues with valve covers alternator as stated above?
No issue stock covers fit without spacers, its close you will need to check
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBLUECHEVELLE
I guess Yella terra rockers it is I don't want any issues do it once and done. Is there clearing issues with these and afr's with valve covers?
If your installer sets them up correctly, there will likely be a clearance issue. I removed the baffles and clearanced the insides of my stock valve covers. Other option is a 1/2" spacer. I could never get the stock rockers to provide as narrow and centered of a wipe pattern as easily achieved with the Yella Terra rockers. The stock rockers are a great design but I don't want to use them on my bronze guides.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

I didnt have an issue with clearance, dont really know of anyone who complained about it either...vettenuts is the first I heard of it
Old 03-31-2012, 11:42 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
I didnt have an issue with clearance, dont really know of anyone who complained about it either...vettenuts is the first I heard of it
With my AFR heads, I needed a 0.125" shim to get a correct geometry. This required additional clearance in the valve covers. My point is if the shop takes the time to set them up (and not simply bolt them in) and any shimming is required then they will need some additional clearance.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
racetchr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I would replace the lifters & pushrods also.

IMO roller rockers are great.

However, I prefer the adjustable, but on a Vette, if you have to shim the valve cover, the alternator gets in the way.

This is what is preventing me from installing a set of Comp Cams #1500 rockers on my Z.

I may just do a coil re-locate and be done with it.
I'm running Jessels with valve cover spacer, all that was needed was cutting the corner off the coil bracket behind alternator no issues!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by racetchr
I'm running Jessels with valve cover spacer, all that was needed was cutting the corner off the coil bracket behind alternator no issues!
On my "Z" with a 1/2" spacer, the coil hits the alternator.

Quick Reply: Roller rockers worth it?