C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is technology killing the early C5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Is technology killing the early C5?

I've been searching for an early C5 FRC and I've noticed 2 posts so far which are making me take a moment of pause buying one.

I've noted 3 posts regarding the difficulty obtaining parts for the active handling system, the EBCM and now the Steering Wheel Position Sensor.

I'm only posting what I've read regarding GM no longer supporting these components and there appears to be no aftermarket to fill the void.

So, where do we go from here? Will this problem soon become a problem for the 2001-2004 C5s?

My posting comes from these 3 posts so I suggest you read what they have posted.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...on-sensor.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-removed.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...cm-repair.html

Last edited by azmusclecar; 03-25-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added 1 other post
Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by azmusclecar

I'm only posting what I've read regarding GM no longer supporting these components and there appears to be no aftermarket to fill the void.

Sounds like a business oppurtunity, too bad i dont know much about electronics.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE
Sounds like a business oppurtunity, too bad i dont know much about electronics.
I will bet someone will come up with a way to by-pass, adapt the newer sensor, or fabricate a replacement. There are just too many C5's still on the road to ignore the potential market. Or at least I hope so.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I will bet someone will come up with a way to by-pass, adapt the newer sensor, or fabricate a replacement. There are just too many C5's still on the road to ignore the potential market. Or at least I hope so.
Yeah, me too!! I don't rack up the miles, and plan on keeping my '01 for at least another 5-6 years....unless the ancient Mayans are correct. More importantly, on a serious note, what would you do with, or how would you sell, a car with a major electrical component failure??
Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The 97-98 models are "ugly ducklings" as far as the electronics go.

There probably just isnt enough market going around to keep those parts in production. The later model years probably have a better chance not being discontinued...Just IMO.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Yeah, me too!! I don't rack up the miles, and plan on keeping my '01 for at least another 5-6 years....unless the ancient Mayans are correct. More importantly, on a serious note, what would you do with, or how would you sell, a car with a major electrical component failure??
Dont know. We may have start "de-evolving" our C5's back to vaccum hoses, distributors and points! just out of curiosity I went online to Autozone to see if they had a Steering Wheel Position Sensor for my 2000. They listed one as a "special order" for the bargin price of $268. Hope mine last longer than me.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Dont know. We may have start "de-evolving" our C5's back to vaccum hoses, distributors and points! just out of curiosity I went online to Autozone to see if they had a Steering Wheel Position Sensor for my 2000. They listed one as a "special order" for the bargin price of $268. Hope mine last longer than me.
I understand what you're saying. If some of these "soon-to-be-discontinued" parts were $30-40 a piece, yeah, I'd buy one of each and set them on the shelf, in case I ever needed them. But at $268, that's too big a gamble for me....
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

My SWPS just went out too. Mine is an '00, so hopefully no issues.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody makes these components for any C5, not just the early ones. Once these parts are sold out then there will be alot of C5s being parted out or collecting dust.
Not sure if any company will make a bypass for these features. These are safety features. If a company produces a bypass then they would be liable in the event of an accident.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Catnip
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1986coupe
Nobody makes these components for any C5, not just the early ones. Once these parts are sold out then there will be alot of C5s being parted out or collecting dust.
Not sure if any company will make a bypass for these features. These are safety features. If a company produces a bypass then they would be liable in the event of an accident.
If these are safety issues, how does GM justify not offering new/replacement parts? There has to be some sort of federal regulation requiring replacement parts. Where is the liability here?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Catnip
If these are safety issues, how does GM justify not offering new/replacement parts? There has to be some sort of federal regulation requiring replacement parts. Where is the liability here?
Seven years is the norm to supply parts.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

If a car is unsafe for the road then it is up to the individual to remove it from operating on public roads.

As I suggested, products created to bypass safety features in a vehicle in which they are required to operate on the vehicle would put that aftermarket company in a very bad legal position.

I am sure that one reason for the lack of parts has to do with the fact that Old GM isn't making anything and New GM is interested in selling C6's and soon C7's.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Just think, an electrical part going out can total your car just because you can't find a replacement part
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
Just think, an electrical part going out can total your car just because you can't find a replacement part

An electrical part won't total a car...the driver can though. While active handling and traction control may be considered safety items, they are also options. Not all cars come with it and not all C5s have active handling. I've rebuilt several Pontiac Grand Prixs. Some have ABS/TC and some don't. Depends on the option package. So it would be hard to argue the car is inherently unsafe because an optional system is broke.

My friend has a 69 427 tri power he got as a graduation present from his father. It has none of these electronic devices and yet survived 43 years without so much as a cracked fender.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
I'm going to be seriously pissed if that's the case.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Try to find a part for a TV, even a fairly new one. As these cars age, this problem will be a larger issue for sure. The OEM's of these parts (GM was not the maker of many of these modules) do NOT publish specs or even PART NUMBERS on the chips inside these modules. Reverse engineering them is almost impossible for the amount of return there might be. I'm guessing that what will happen is what GM does today with generic ECM's for the LSx engines in other cars. You will remove/bypass or disconnect much of the factory elecctic/electronic systems and use a generic ECM to run things. Even this will cost more than the car is worth to refit.

It's easier to find parts for a C3.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
I've been searching for an early C5 FRC and I've noticed 2 posts so far which are making me take a moment of pause buying one.

I've noted 3 posts regarding the difficulty obtaining parts for the active handling system, the EBCM and now the Steering Wheel Position Sensor.

So, where do we go from here? Will this problem soon become a problem for the 2001-2004 C5s?

My posting comes from these 3 posts so I suggest you read what they have posted.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...on-sensor.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-removed.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...cm-repair.html
Very thought provoking Rob. Don't you wish you had that Acura back now?

Get notified of new replies

To Is technology killing the early C5?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Very thought provoking Rob. Don't you wish you had that Acura back now?
Actually.......I'm frustrated now since I have no idea what to buy or do. Funny how once you start down the rabbit hole with technology, how it leads deeper and deeper....and before you know it......you are too far in to back out......and that's what seems to be inevitable with all this C5 technology.

We can always hope the aftermarket picks up the pieces but like what was posted before..........liability with sue happy lawyers will make the aftermarket think twice about filling our voids.

So do the 97's and 98's without active handling now become more attractive??????? Or do we just turn the Active Handling off and go back to old school and use our talents to drive these cars knowing we can run out of skills a lot faster thanks to their increased performance but without all the "***-saving" technology to back us up?

I wonder what kind of issues the insurance companies will raise once they find out the "safety features" of the C5 may someday be inactive.

Once again...down the rabbit hole we go. We always assume someone will be there to help us with our problems. Now......with this....will they??????? AND WHEN?

That's a rhetorical question there boys and girls........
Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Default EBCM Questions for 2000 coupe

Ive had my 2000 coupe for less than a month and while taking a nice sunday drive, I got the "check ABS/TRACTION CONTROL warning and ive had the car @ the dealer for over a week- they changed out the bad wheel bearing but still getting a C1232 code which got me wondering if my EBCM could be going with a C1232 code rather than the classic C1214 code that many have reported??? also have any forum members had good luck with some of these rebuild services like...Automotive Scientific Inc or Auto ECU ?? please let me know Thanx
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

So perhaps not having Active Handling in my 98 isn't such a terrible thing after all.

Quick Reply: Is technology killing the early C5?