C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
SIMM1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rene p evangelista
SIMM1 what is the status of your car? Symptomd? exa:are you able to make turns without the brakes sometimes grabbing you? if you turn off active handling does it still give you a problem?
I have given up for the time being trying to get this part. No symptoms have occured as of yet on the steering or brakes. I am leary of keeping the car any longer. It's in winter storage right now and I have to make a big decision when I bring it out whether to put new tires on it or put it up for sale. It's too bad, because she's a beauty.

Last edited by SIMM1; 11-27-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM
rene p evangelista
Intermediate

FYI

My car is comming back from JOHNS CORVETTE SERVICES in NH. He took care of my issue. Call him at 603-524-1791 & tell him Rene told you about him.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
SIMM1
Cruising

I will. Can you give me a quick answer and tell me what he did? Did he replace the sensor?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM
rene p evangelista
Intermediate

He did a deeper analysis & found out the yaw sensor was causing it. The steering wheel position sensor was fine. He also did other analysis as well. John is good he knows his stuff as he ahs been fixing these issues from other vettes in other states on this matter. If he needs to replace the sensor he has the used parts to do it
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM
SIMM1
Cruising

He did a deeper analysis & found out the yaw sensor was causing it. The steering wheel position sensor was fine. He also did other analysis as well. John is good he knows his stuff as he ahs been fixing these issues from other vettes in other states on this matter. If he needs to replace the sensor he has the used parts to do it
Just emailed you. Thankx Rene. I'll call him.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

wow I didn't realize this sensor was out of production. WTH No wonder GM is bankrupt
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
xomega
Racer

old post, but seems 97-98 sensor shares p/n with a 97 Cadillac 26055808
them columns might be cheaper to buy for the sensor
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by xomega
old post, but seems 97-98 sensor shares p/n with a 97 Cadillac 26055808
them columns might be cheaper to buy for the sensor
Its the 99 and 2000 that is discontinued.... anyone having an issue with this should contact Chevrolet customer service support teamand log a complaint

cac@chevrolet.com

or call Karren at the Chevrolet support team
866-790-5600 FREE , extension 12952
Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Complaint Lodged. Thanks ET.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Ironman433
Instructor

FYI

My car is comming back from JOHNS CORVETTE SERVICES in NH. He took care of my issue. Call him at 603-524-1791 & tell him Rene told you about him.
UPDATE:
I just got off of the phone with John at John's Corvette Services in Laconia, New Hampshire. He told me that he CAN GET THESE... BUT...
He does not sell them out the door - he will only sell them if he's doing the repair. He said usually it ISN'T the sensor that's bad and if you want to bring him your car... IT WILL LEAVE FIXED!!

He seemed like a very knowledgeable guy with over 40 years in the business. If I didn't live 2000 miles away - my car would already be at his shop! If you live nearby, I'd call him. Very cool guy!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM
MarkGbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Your car is 13 years old,sorry but they do not make parts for cars forever.Have you tried any of the Corvette specialty wrecking yards?
yeah... this is totally not true. Check out parts for a BMW. You can get anything down to crazy things like OEM/Genuine BMW bolts for wheel wells.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkGbe
yeah... this is totally not true. Check out parts for a BMW. You can get anything down to crazy things like OEM/Genuine BMW bolts for wheel wells.
Anything for a fee...
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anything for a fee. NOT!

I think I'll chime in here, having owned six different BMWs, and having posted earlier on this thread. While BMW parts are expensive, the Corporation itself has pride in its heritage, and because of that SUPPORTS the older cars. It's called BMW Mobile Tradition and you can source parts all the way back to the 2002 model (not year) and earlier. IIRC Mercedes has a similar program called Heritage. These Corporations realize that supporting the older restored cars is virtually as important as selling you their latest $100K+ vehicle. GM is planned obsolescence, and combined with their near bankruptcy, could pretty much care less about older versions of their halo car the Corvette. Want to be the first one on your block with a new C7 at $10k over MSRP-NO PROBLEM!

Last edited by PhilsFRC; 08-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
MarkGbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
I think I'll chime in here, having owned six different BMWs, and having posted earlier on this thread. While BMW parts are expensive, the Corporation itself has pride in its heritage, and because of that SUPPORTS the older cars. It's called BMW Mobile Tradition and you can source parts all the way back to the 2002 model (not year) and earlier. IIRC Mercedes has a similar program called Heritage. These Corporations realize that supporting the older restored cars is virtually as important as selling you their latest $100K+ vehicle. GM is planned obsolescence, and combined with their near bankruptcy, could virtually care less about older versions of their halo car the Corvette. Want to be the first one on your block with a new C7 at $10k over MSRP-NO PROBLEM!
this is right on. Buying parts for my BMWs, past and present is actually enjoyable.

I do love driving my z06, but not buying parts. Just the nature i guess.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM
MarkGbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by hklvette
Anything for a fee...
id rather have the option to pay a fee for something i need than to not have the option to source something to begin with. Especially when we're talking specialized parts for companies flagship vehicle.

Last edited by MarkGbe; 08-20-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
GM is planned obsolescence
Thank Alfred P. Sloan for introducing this concept to GM.

Last edited by DooDooBear1999; 08-20-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Ironman433
Instructor

I can't remember what the requirement is for stocking parts - I believe it's only 5 years that a manufacture is REQUIRED to do that... For some reason, you can buy the sensor at Auto Zone for $65 for a 1997 or 1998 - it's JUST the 1999 and 2000 models that are out of production by GM and no aftermarket company has picked up where they left off. Even when they made them they were $350 from the dealer. It sucks that this ONE PART is unavailable but you can still hit DISENGAGE and drive til the wheels fall off so...??

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGbe
this is right on. Buying parts for my BMWs, past and present is actually enjoyable.

I do love driving my z06, but not buying parts. Just the nature i guess.
Guess you never bought parts for a BMW motorcycle.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I will keep my vette, and everything works. If the sensor or EBCM goes out, I will still drive it with no fear. I turn off all the nanny stuff when I drive anyway. I don't want the car telling me how to drive.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:28 PM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman433
I can't remember what the requirement is for stocking parts - I believe it's only 5 years that a manufacture is REQUIRED to do that...
I used to believe something similar; I had thought 10 years. Hard to say what is the "truth" when you're considering piles of law and regulation that are always changing, but based on the sources I could find last time I looked, my conclusion is that this is a fiction; in fact, there is no requirement placed on vehicle manufacturers to make replacement parts for any period of time (somebody please correct me if you have a definitive source). This is one of those situations where I reckon the informed consumer is supposed to regulate with his dollars; GM should be guided by the "invisible hand." A carmaker establishes reputation by standing behind their product and providing parts, and reputation earns sales.

At the end of the day, this thread is probably the most communication about this issue that there is. Is anyone turning away from GM because of it? Not in any huge numbers. I guarantee most of us in this thread would happily buy another Corvette. This problem just isn't driving buyers away, and isn't impacting profits, long or short term. So, at the end of the day, I understand their decision.

I also think the reason for the change from one sensor, to another, and back again is pretty clear -- the 1999-2000 sensor design was a failure in some way. Perhaps the more expensive design didn't deliver meaningful improvements & return on investment, or failure rates were higher, I dunno. But they only would have rolled it back if it turned out to be a mistake.

At this point it seems like the best thing to do if this happens to you and you want to restore the car 100% is pick up some combination of electronics from a 97-98/2001+ wreck and convert over. I'm not sure exactly what that combination is, or if that really can work...at this point I'm resigned to worry about it when it actually happens (mine is still working).

Quick Reply: Seriously?! Steering Wheel Position Sensor - DISCONTINUED!!