C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioner kit installed and unable to get freon in

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:34 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Air conditioner kit installed and unable to get freon in

I have a 98 coupe with 180K city miles, very hard miles. I've been adding Freon for for years when it was not cooling like it should and this has worked for years. Just the other day it was not blowing cold at all. I tried to add freon and the system would not suck it in. I forgot to look at the clutch and see if it was engaged at that point. Thinking all was lost, pushed down on the schrader valves, both high and low and there was just a little pressure that came out of the high side. I ordered the compressor kit from the Zone. Replaced the compressor, accumulator and the orifice tube. There were no debris in the compressor or the orifice tube. There was no oil in the old compressor to speak of, so added 4 oz in the compressor and 2 in the accumulator. Sucked the system down and it did not leak. Fired it up and the AC button in the cab will light when pushed, but then turns off. I don't think the compressor ever kicks in when this button is pressed. So it does not suck freon in. I think the suction from the vacuum pump that is still on the system should suck enough for the sensor to let the compressor kick in, but, don't think anything is going in. There are no codes in the HVAC. Don't think the C5 has the compressor switch and pressure switch coded in as possible error code?

Not sure where to go from here. Help please. Thanks

Last edited by jammerjamesharmon; 12-10-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:50 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Do I need to jumper the pressure switch to get the compressor going to get the freon in?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:54 PM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

This is from the legion Bill Curlee:

"It will take the GAS (can right side up, placed in a pale of hot water) and once it has enough system pressure to trip the low pressure cut out, the clutch will cycle on and off until there enough pressure to prevent the low pressure (suction side) from going low."

Get notified of new replies

To Air conditioner kit installed and unable to get freon in

Quick Reply: Air conditioner kit installed and unable to get freon in