C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 10:06 PM
C5Hud
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help...

I am a first time vette owner and the my 98 C-5 was scraping my driveway as I pulled in. I had it raised back up. Unfortunately now that it has been raised and handles like my 78 Monte Carlo did. I tis overstering in a BAD way and feels way loose. In other words, when you go into a turn and turn the steering wheel the car turns and then it feels like it over turns and you have to
correct the wheel a bit - i.e. let off of the turn and and even turn it back
a little bit. It almost feels liek it might spin out. Another way of
describing this is to say it seems like it takes a while for the rear of the
car to catch up with the front of the car. It is pretty scary at speed. I
checked to make sure that the rear sway bar was attached and tight and it is.

My mechanic raised the front 1 3/4 inches and the rear 1 inch. They now sit
at 28 1/2 and 29 1/4 respectively. He then did a 4 wheel allignment. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get this car to handle correctly? One other thing the car no longer has the ride control system. It has Bilsteins installed.

Regards,
Chad Hudson

[Modified by C5Hud, 5:35 AM 5/15/2002]
Old 05-14-2002, 11:21 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (C5Hud)

U need a new 4 wheel alignment after adjusting the suspension.

I'd let it scrape. The A&A mods will help the scraping.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (C5Hud)

You probably need a wheel alignment but you also need to check that the car is balanced properly. Why was the front raised more than the rear? Proper ride height isn't determined by measuring to the fender so that may be part of the problem.
Bill
Old 05-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (Bill Dearborn)

And, are you absolutely certain it was raised correctly, the guy knew what he was doing? They don't act like this stock.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:41 AM
C5Hud
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (Bill Dearborn)

Thanks for the response. To be clear - my mechanic did perform the 4 wheel allignment after the raising. In response to your question why he raised it in the front more? I just told him to raise it back to where it was and he was able to raise it more in the front. Does that make sense? How do I check to see if it has been balanced properly? Also, how do I measure proper ride height?
Old 05-15-2002, 01:56 AM
AUandAG
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before lowering, my '01 with Bilsteins was 27 5/8 front and 28 7/8 rear. I think you're now sitting higher than stock.

Jim
Old 05-15-2002, 02:12 AM
C5Hud
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (AUandAG)

AUandAG,

Thank you. What did you measure - from the ground to the fender at Top Dead Center?
Old 05-15-2002, 02:15 AM
AUandAG
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

:yesnod:
Old 05-15-2002, 05:00 AM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (AUandAG)

Sounds higher than stock bring the whole car 1/2" lower than stock get a good comp alignment from a compitent shop and go for at least 1" extra negative camber all around she'll handle like a doll.Dave S.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:02 PM
C5Hud
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (davidmax)

Thanks Guys!

Dave in response to your 1" negative camber all around suggestion. How much faster do you think my new PilotSports will wear? 10%? 30%?

Also, don't some people just do the negative camber on either the front or back only or do they always do it to both?

Regards,
Chad
Old 05-24-2002, 06:17 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Can't speak to -.1* but I have -.75* up front and -.5* out back and she feels great.

Can't get more neg camber in the back or I'll hit the upper control arm with my 12" wheel edge.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Red C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help... (MelloYellow)

Aren't the Bilstein shocks a little shorter? You may need to switch the shocks as well unless you lower it down a little bit.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:33 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Sounds to me like maybe he forgot to completely re-install one or more of the swaybar links?

Other posters are right -- stock C5's don't act like that.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help...

Quick Reply: Handling very scary after raising car back up to stock level.. Please help...