Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
artintexas

Default Does radiator additive as super cool work?

I have a 2000 corvette which sometimes the temperqture runs to 210 in summer time traffic. Does anyone have experience with a radiator additive as super cool. Is it harmful to engine?
artintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artintexas View Post
I have a 2000 corvette which sometimes the temperqture runs to 210 in summer time traffic. Does anyone have experience with a radiator additive as super cool. Is it harmful to engine?
Not harmful to the engine. It doesn't help much if you run the conventional 50/50 anti-freeze/water mix. A degree or to at most with that mix. Read the label. They give you what to expect. Best results is in straight water but that is NOT adviseable unless the car is race only.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
hotwheels57
CF Senior Member

I'm not familiar with that specific product, but it's probably along the lines of a "water surfactant". REDLINE "Water Wetter" is a common water surfactant. If you're not familiar with that terminology, do a little research using those keywords.

FWIW, 210 degrees is not uncommon in summer traffic. Your secondary fan doesn't even come on until 226 degrees if I remember correctly. The LSx motors are engineered to run at higher temperatures. These are not the sbc that Grampa drove.
hotwheels57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
dougbfresh
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artintexas View Post
You do not have a problem.
dougbfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
baxsom
CF Senior Member

210 is perfectly normal. Straight water is wonderful for keeping down temps but it is not good for the pump. Part of the coolants job is to lubricate the pump and cut down on corrosion. That is where the Water Wetter comes into play. When I raced motorcyles, you could not use coolant in the bike because it woudl cause the track to get slippery in the event of a crash. The water wetter plus deionized water is all that was allowed. An added benefit was there would be maybe a 10 degree difference in temps as well.
baxsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
CHJ In Virginia
CF Senior Member

Our Vettes are bottom breathers. They suck up a huge amount of crap from the road that will eventuially clog up a major portion of the condensor fins blocking air flow to the radiator. Before you mess with addatives, jack up the front of the car and clean out the intake area. You can use a vacum with a long crevice tool to get to the top portions. The best way to clean is to use compressed air and blow it out from behind using an angle tool, but that takes some disassembly. Search, there are several threads on the process.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
FKING1
CF Senior Member

If this temp is a bother you can have the fans programmed to come on sooner than the stock temperature program. I did this.
FKING1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Does radiator additive as super cool work?

Tags
additive, additives, cool, coolant, engine, motor, radiator, snowmobile, super, supercool