C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help.....rocker arm issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Red98VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help.....rocker arm issue

Ok my car was making some chatter so against my better judgement I let someone other than a professional corvette mechanic work on it. Below is what happened. I would appreciate any and all help.

The mechanic diagnosed the sound as a bent pushrod. The mechanic pulled the drivers side valve cover and took out several rockers replaced the push rods and put the rockers back on.

After I left I noticed some vibration or something new coming through the drivetrain. Under heavy accel I also notice a deffinate hard miss a couple times. I ,at once, had a sick feeling that something was done wrong.

I came home and hit the net to find out what the proceedure was for doing this. From what I read the guy was suppose to turn the engine for each rocker. He did not do this. All he did was take them off, replace the push rods and put them back on.

Can someone please give me the exact proceedure for doing this as I am not taking my car back to him.

Thanks guys.

oh 1998 coupe, stock rockers and all internals.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

the service manual says that you put the engine at TDC and do specific cylinder intake and exhaust valves and then turn the engine 1 turn and do the rest.
however many many people go with just putting the pushrod in and torquing the bolt to the required 22 ft/lbs and have no issues. is the DIC throwing any codes. I would guess that he didnt get all of the spark plugs wires on all the way causing the miss.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The manual is specific on procedure, which I can post later if you need it. The first question is, what length pushrods did he install? Did he install GM replacement or something else that might be a different length. He may not have gotten the spark plug boots back on correctly or there may be a couple of other things wrong. I would start by removing each spark plug boot one at a time on the side he worked on and then re-install until you hear a "click". The other issue may be that if the spark plug wires were on there a while they are difficult to remove without damaging them. You may have a bad wire.

Are you getting any codes or do you have a blinking check engine light?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Red98VA
Instructor

When I was at WOT and the missing or jerking occurred I immediately let off and there were like 6 codes, but I didn't write them down. When I got home I went back in and they were gone? There wasn't any codes, not even history codes? He matched the new pushrods up onto the old ones and they were identical in length.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Check wires as suggested in the dark. Look for arcing.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Red98VA
Instructor

waiting for it to get dark.....................

So this could actually not have anything to do with the way he performed the repair?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Red98VA
Instructor

ok just checked no flashing from plug wires.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Red98VA
Instructor

anyone? thanks for the help guys
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

did you make sure that the spark plug wires were all on correctly? they have to click onto the coils and the the plug. depending on how long it has been since the past plug wire change (read oem wires maybe) there is a chance that they were damaged when they were pulled off. if he used pushrods the same length as what came out there is a slim chance he did damage but again, if you search here you will find that countless people have done it the exact same way and not had an issue. with installing the rods. from what everyone says here the biggest thing is you have to do it slowly so you get an accurate reading. my bet he is either damaged a wire, didnt click a wire on all the way. the fact that you said it had codes and then they mysteriously went away is weird. they shouldnt go away until you delete them yourself.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Red98VA
Instructor

i agree about the codes, i have never had that happen.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

If there were no history codes and I assume the motor isn't making any noise (loose rocker/wrong pushrod length, etc.) then if you repeat what you did before does the car still falter? If so, and it is at higher RPM did it do it prior to the work?

When is the last time the fuel filter was changed? When is the last time plug wires were changed?

I had a similar problem with a Pontiac (intermittant miss under load) and I swore I had other issues but in the end it was the plug wires.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Red98VA
Instructor

not really sure what a loose rocker sounds like. sorry. I would assume that if I put my ear to the valve cover I would hear chatter, which I do not.

It is rather hard to tell as the engine does make quite a bit of noise..It has always been clicky or ticky coming from the injector area.

I guess I am going to buy new plug wires and just see if that helps. And no I have tried to replicate the initial problem and it hasn't happened. But I may not be getting on it as hard as I am a bit scared to mess something up. This is my DD.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help.....rocker arm issue

Quick Reply: Please help.....rocker arm issue