C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an auto trans? Watch out for this gremlin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Here you go!

Shifter off (daytime)

Shifter on (daytime)

Shifter on (nighttime)

Interior on (nighttime)

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-05-2018)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

That looks so much better than just changing the bulb...gotta do this. Thanks for putting the final touches on this gremlin.

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 01-18-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
That looks so much better than just changing the bulb...gotta do this. Thanks for putting the final touches on this gremlin.
No problem. If there's any other questions about the setup I'll try and answer them as best I can.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by flaagan
No problem. If there's any other questions about the setup I'll try and answer them as best I can.
Great...this needs to go into the DIY section...I'll check to see if it's already there, if not, I'll enter it.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 PM
hockeyspokes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peebody
It is straight plug and play. Remove and replace.
Which LED iten/part # ?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by hockeyspokes
Which LED iten/part # ?
I think JW here on the forum has them.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C5FORFUN2
Years in service, poor design???
Mine is a 2001 daily driver with just under 116K and it has no problem with that. My brothers '98 has 212K and obviously more years of service and has never had a problem with that part either. Possibly you have a problem unique to yours??? Never seen that before on a C5.
2002 daily driver, just hit over a 100K last week and never had this problem. Buddy has a 99 with over 200K with no problem. But, having said that, thank you for sharing, because now that I've read this it will happen to me!

Now the oil pressure sensor is a different story........
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Same here. When I pulled hard

Originally Posted by David Shiel
I saw all the ways to get a grip on it, but............
when I pull hard on the bulb, it looks like the socket it is in deforms. Is that possible? Could I break the socket and be SOL? Or can I pull on it as firmly as required to pull the bulb? Now i can take a simple

Quit laughing !! Every time I set out to fix something not broke, I break it !!!

Just FYI, the red piece looks just fine on mine, but then only 18K.

No need to disassemble console. Had the bulb exposed in a few minutes by using the suggested small screw driver and proceding carefully. Great input .
on the bulb, it would not budge and the socket seemed to be coming apart. Guess I'll just leave the thing alone, as the red indicator seems real solid at this point. I also can take a simple project and turn it into a result akin to what a wrecking crew would produce

One thing I thought of was carefully hitting the bulb socket area with some lubricant or contact cleaner, but not sure what to use.

Last edited by David Shiel; 01-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyspokes
Which LED item/part # ?
I've been trying to figure out the same. It seems that most people who have done this ended needing to use a dremel or a small round file to widen the bulb space in the plastic light guide because the LED they used was too tall or wide. I would like to avoid that if possible. These are the dimensions of a 194 bulb:

I would say that this LED should fit without any problem, although I don't know if its light output/pattern would be OK:

The Widest, 194 168 W5W 2825 Ever Made!
Outfitted with the latest Super Wide High-Flux low profile Leds
Designed especially for gauges, & applications requiring a super-wide large uniform field of bright light
Only 10mm diameter x 26mm overall
It is available in white, blue, red, amber and green and it's $5.99 here (scroll down until you find it).

Or perhaps this one:

5Led Wedge Matrix Bulb
10mm dia. x 25mm overall
Outfitted with 4X 3mm Leds+One High Flux Forward Facing Led. Regulator protects from Over-Voltage. Rectified for ambipolarity.
Voltage: 12-18v
Beam Angle: 270 degrees
Polarity Bias: No
Also available in several colors and it's $5.99 too.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GCG
I've been trying to figure out the same. It seems that most people who have done this ended needing to use a dremel or a small round file to widen the bulb space in the plastic light guide because the LED they used was too tall or wide. I would like to avoid that if possible. These are the dimensions of a 194 bulb:

I would say that this LED should fit without any problem, although I don't know if its light output/pattern would be OK:

It is available in white, blue, red, amber and green and it's $5.99 here (scroll down until you find it).

Or perhaps this one:

Also available in several colors and it's $5.99 too.

What do you guys think?

Great find....at that price it is worth attempting....if it doesn't fit it can be used for the license plate or under dash lighting.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
celarriviere
Intermediate

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/attachments/c5-tech/47691235d1329875038-c5-orange-shift-indicator-assembly-instructions-c5-shift-indicator-build-instructions..doc[/url]

Try this.. I built this a while back, still going strong!!!
CEL
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM
wheelswheeler
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems as yet on my 2K but getting ready to replace radio and fix dual climate display problem. So wonder if I decide to put in LED light where to get it? Any help here appreciated much.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Check Post #69
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
wheelswheeler
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks GCG will do!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
wheelswheeler
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

OK so I checked post #69 and the question is; is the LED one OK and is getting the old bulb out of it's socket that difficult as I am reading and if so what's the magic trick for removing?

Thanks again all!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by jdkskyking
Thats a lot of plastic in there
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
LTVetteVert00
Racer

Originally Posted by 99mallett
See the little orange doo dad that points to the gear? I broke mine a few years ago while putting on a new shift boot. They aren't available, either.
I wasn't going to buy a $200+ shifter assembly to replace a 50 cent piece of plastic. So now, I have to look forward to my shifter erupting in flames now, huh. Oh well, it doesn't matter if there's a bulb in it since I can't see which gear it's in anyway....
Broke the gear indicator on my Y2K model. Not paying GM 200+ for entire shifter! I shift by feel too.

Get notified of new replies

To Got an auto trans? Watch out for this gremlin...

Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LTVetteVert00
Broke the gear indicator on my Y2K model. Not paying GM 200+ for entire shifter! I shift by feel too.
I tried that for a while and it drove me nuts....especially at night. I have a spare boot (got it on ebay) with the PRNDL intact for the future....who knows, it might break, even with the improved bulb.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
fishbust
Racer

Last edited by fishbust; 03-14-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by fishbust
Ok, so I am upgrading my stock stereo to accept ipod via kit from Double D mods, so I am also changing my auto shift boot to 2 tone while I am in there and same for E brake boot and since my shifter bulb was toasted and read this thread and what I came up with and just ordered is a 194 LED with Globe, 11mm x 26mm, should fit and also has a 270 degree beam angle, which should be good to illuminate properly. Cool or warm white was my color choice.

It is the 12th bulb down on this page....

http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

I will post back here on how well it works or doesn't work after I finish my project.
I can tell by looking at it...it will fit. Hope you ordered more than one!just kidding....pics when you git er dun please...

Quick Reply: Got an auto trans? Watch out for this gremlin...