C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a GOOD alternative to Headlight insulators/tab stops/bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ryrob
Alright fellas, I'm fed up. Turned my lights on to leave work and everything worked fine. Got to the gym and after working out I went to flip the headlights up - nothing (on either side). Had to get out and turn both manual ***** a half turn. And of course, everything opened just fine. I'm at the point of wanting to sell this car due to this headlight issue (no I don't want the fixed headlight option). Here are my only 2 ideas left:

1. Try different gears, other than the hardened aluminum

2. Replace both headlight actuator motors. This would cost me about $460 but if it's a sure fix I'll gladly pay it at this point.

Heavily leaning toward #2, what are anyone's thoughts?
As BOTH lights are now being effected, that well could be a multifunction switch issue. To varify that is the problem you would have to monitor the raise voltage with a meter.

Examine the circuit and monitor CONNECTOR C1 on PIN A for the head light ON signal when you turn the head lights ON/Modules UP.

BC
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 AM
ryrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
As BOTH lights are now being effected, that well could be a multifunction switch issue. To varify that is the problem you would have to monitor the raise voltage with a meter.

Examine the circuit and monitor CONNECTOR C1 on PIN A for the head light ON signal when you turn the head lights ON/Modules UP.

BC

Thanks Bill! This could be the answer - unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with this kind of thing. The above diagram is pretty foreign to me. Is this a deal that you could walk me through to check, or am I going to have to take it in to the shop? I wish I knew more but am willing and able to learn...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Beg/borrow or Get a Digital VOLT OHM/AMP meter (one that you can actually use and read. We will be reviewing the schematic and getting voltage measurements on specific pins in the connectors.

NOTE (some meters require an engineering degree to use!)

Anyway, get a meter, and we can test some of the voltages. PM me when you ready to discuss this over the phone and do some probing.

PM SENT..

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-16-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM
ryrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Beg/borrow or Get a Digital VOLT OHM/AMP meter (one that you can actually use and read. We will be reviewing the schematic and getting voltage measurements on specific pins in the connectors.

NOTE (some meters require an engineering degree to use!)

Anyway, get a meter, and we can test some of the voltages. PM me when you ready to discuss this over the phone and do some probing.

PM SENT..

Bill

Thanks so much! I've got a couple friends with ohm/amp meters who I will borrow from. I will give you a call as soon as I have a little time to get under the hood...

p.s. - last night just the driver's side was getting stuck and not coming up. A few cycles of the headlight switch on/off and it eventually popped up and joined the passenger side in the up position. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM
cvn
Heel & Toe

Any updates on this???

I have been dealing with this exact problem but just on the passenger side. PIA to have to get out and spin the motor.

Let us know where you have found please!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
ryrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by cvn
Any updates on this???

I have been dealing with this exact problem but just on the passenger side. PIA to have to get out and spin the motor.

Let us know where you have found please!

It's definitely a mechanical issue for me - I have found no evidence that it is an electrical/wiring issue.

I'm currently using braided PVC tubing over the 'down' stop bumpers to provide a little extra thickness to the stops and stop the motor/headlight a little sooner on the way down. This works great until the pounding eventually wears the tubing out and I have to stick another piece in there. I'm averaging about 2-3 months per piece. This was a suggestion by another forum member and it seems to be the best solution I've found, aside from replacing both headlight assemblies ($$$$).
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Mera
Intermediate

I have finally decided to try and make better reproduction bump stops. I hope to make reproductions made that are very close to the originals. I am making progress and hope to have them in stock by spring.

Rodney Dickman
www.rodneydickman.com

Last edited by Mera; 01-24-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
GMZ51
2nd Gear

Default Headlight Insulators 97-04 C5

I too bought the insulators from Ekler's. They are brittle and break very easily. I have read where a guy made his own from the plastic on a paint brush. May take some time to do this but he said it works just fine.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:38 PM
65ELCMO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Rodney now has them for $2.75 and they are better than the original GM product:

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=309
Rodney sells a pack of 4 and 8 how many do I need to repair both sides?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 PM
GMZ51
2nd Gear

Default 65elcmo

The only one I needed to replace was the one up front where the bar on the motor hits the insulator. The problem I had was when you turn your headlights off, the left front would go right back up. I didn't need to replace any other ones. If the other ones work fine, don't replace them. Hope this helps. I'm having a friend who owns a machine shop working to make one out of aluminum to see how it works.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:54 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I replaced all my insulators with the ones from Rodney and my headlights are working perfectly. They are cheap enough to replace them all.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:58 AM
65ELCMO
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
I replaced all my insulators with the ones from Rodney and my headlights are working perfectly. They are cheap enough to replace them all.
How many are there?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I had the problem of my driver's side headlight not opening and after going through all the cheapo temporary fixes of reversing the bumpers or using some other hose/plastic thingamagig, I bought a bunch of Rodney's bumper stops a year and a half ago and have never again had another problem with the headlights.
This thread is 4 years old. Was there ever a resolution to it or did the original poster disappear?
I had a suggestion after reading through 3 pages- what is wrong with you? - Stop driving at night!

Last edited by mrlmd; 02-26-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 AM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 65ELCMO
How many are there?
Four on each headlight.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:20 AM
San Angelo Bill
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight issues C5

Originally Posted by frsr06
Four on each headlight.
Only 2 are functional on each light, the rear uppers are spares. Plastic degrades over time so to replace on both headligts reqires four, spares = four so eight total.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (10-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Need a GOOD alternative to Headlight insulators/tab stops/bumpers