C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Washer Fluid -- Are You Kidding Me With The Search Results?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
LO PHAT
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low Washer Fluid -- Are You Kidding Me With The Search Results?

I keep getting the "low washer fluid" message on the DIC even though the washer fluid tank is always full. I am tired of having to hit the reset button everytime I drive my car, and I want to fix the problem correctly (as in I'm not going to just unplug the sensor or use a paper clip). I suspected that the orientation of the sensor might be off, so I used the forum's search feature to research the issue.

Wow! Are you kidding me?! There are a lot of threads about this. There is also a ton of conflicting information within all of those threads!

Here are some examples:

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
This happened to me as well, and after trying EVERYTHING I could think of I spent most of a Ben Franklin and bought the switch. This solved mine, but here is what I learned along the way.

Are you certain that the old switch was bad, and even more importantly, is the new switch good?

Second, orientation is critical here. I found that the switch worked the opposite of what I first thought. Now looking at it, it does make sense. When properly installed. the switch will be horizontal when the reservoir is at the correct level. Think of it as this; point your finger to the right, horizontal to the ground. Then point from the nickle downward. This is the LOW position (or closed circuit).
Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I believe it goes to where the float is either straight across or down.
Originally Posted by ajg1915
Mine was up side down.

Easiest way to check is to pull it out and flip up the float end and see if the light goes off.
Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
It is a very simple switch in design. Make sure that yours is in "right side upward" to insure it is bad.

How to: the switch looks like a finger. In its correct installment it will resemble your finger pointed outward with your palm down. In other words it will bend to point downward to horizontal.
Originally Posted by Vette X 3
Actually you likely need to rotate the sensor 180 degrees. If it is in upside down it will set the error even when the reservoir is full. It is a float that needs to be in contact with the other half of the switch when the tank is full.
Originally Posted by HollywoodFRC
The fluid level sensor (white cylindrical object at the back of the washer tank) has a grove on it that is supposed to line up with the small lip on the washer tank sensor hole.
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Head
I'm a little late getting you a reply but looks like I'm first. Look at the back of your tank by the clutch res. You'll see a white plug. The flat side goes down, round side up. That's your float and it'll sometimes get inverted if you messing around in that area.
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Head
I had this happen after I pulled the tank for cleaning. Forum member told me I probably had the sensor upside down. The connection clip goes down, opposite of what I would have thought. Turned it over problem solved.
Originally Posted by BlueDragon
That little float thingy can spin on you. Make sure that little flat on the plug/sensor is facing down. If you pull it out (watch out all the fluid will follow) you will see what I mean. It comes out really easy, and can sping upside down just as easy!
jer
Originally Posted by BlueDragon
Just double checked mine and the white plastic sensor is keyed to the fluid tank. There is a flat on that that should be UP to key to the tank!!!
Jer
Originally Posted by Munch
Anyone know the spec for the sending unit in the washer fluid tank, mine seems to be working but I get the low fluid message.

This pic I will call closed which would be LOW washer fluid and I read .000 Ohms

This pic I'll call open and reads 1. Ohms

Anyone know if this is in spec or whatever? Also, there is a notch in the top where it goes in to the fluid tank so I know it's not upside down.

Thanks

Last edited by LO PHAT; 03-26-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM
LO PHAT
Pro

To continue...

Even though my car's sensor doesn't appear to be working, I have to agree with those who stated that the sensor should be positioned like this:

The flat spot is indeed "keyed" to the washer fluid tank.

Can someone please explain to me how everyone who put the sensor opposite of this ("finger pointing down") is claiming that it works?

Last edited by LO PHAT; 03-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So,
Have you are some one else , lifted or removed your WS/tank recently?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 AM
LO PHAT
Pro

Originally Posted by bumble-z
So,
Have you are some one else , lifted or removed your WS/tank recently?
Yes. I had it out of the car a few months ago because there was a leak where the washer fluid line connects to the pump. I replaced the factory rubber connector with a small piece of properly sized fuel line to fix the problem.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

A few years ago, (While installing the top side of the front coil overs) I had my tank off or lifted up & some how turned the connection (nearest the fire) wall 180 degrees.
Don't know how I managed that, but I did.

Had the same symptoms as you described.
Once I turned it 180 degrees (back) again, it's been working fine again.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 AM
LO PHAT
Pro

I just measured the resistance of my car's sensor:

When the float is horizontal: 6.5 to 7.1 ohms
When the float is up (or down): OL (over limit)

IF
1) these measurements are within spec, and
2) it is correct that unplugging the sensor stops the "low washer fluid" message from appearing (as this should also be a situation with an OL ohm measurement)
THEN
it would seem to support the notion that the sensor must be oriented such that the float is on top and moves up (not horizontal) when the tank is full

This makes sense to me, but at the same time it makes some of the advice I read in other threads even more confusing. Wouldn't installing the sensor with the float pointed down or using a paper clip to bypass the sensor actually trigger the "low washer fluid" message?

My head is starting to hurt....

Last edited by LO PHAT; 03-26-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

My car is still sleeping out in the garage, along with my 3 set Vette service manuals.

If I remember correctly.
The sensor that is nearest & pointing towards the firewall, has wires coming from it.
If you cannot see this (unit,sensor???) orientation.
Remove the two (10mm ???nuts) & take a better look at that area.
Remove the the wires/connector, look at the sensor & turn it.
You will see a slot or lug on either the sensor or side of the tank.
When it is setting in the correct position, it should be easily seen to where it should/or should have been...according to the lugs/raised or recessed section.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Theres only one way to install the sensor. The indentation on the grommet orients the sensor to the proper position.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
LO PHAT
Pro

Originally Posted by bumble-z
My car is still sleeping out in the garage, along with my 3 set Vette service manuals.

If I remember correctly.
The sensor that is nearest & pointing towards the firewall, has wires coming from it.
If you cannot see this (unit,sensor???) orientation.
Remove the two (10mm ???nuts) & take a better look at that area.
Remove the the wires/connector, look at the sensor & turn it.
You will see a slot or lug on either the sensor or side of the tank.
When it is setting in the correct position, it should be easily seen to where it should/or should have been...according to the lugs/raised or recessed section.
Yep. I already have my car's washer tank out again, and I agree with you. The flat spot in the sensor must be pointed upward to "key" or "lock" against a raised, horizontal line molded into the washer fluid tank.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM
LO PHAT
Pro

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Theres only one way to install the sensor. The indentation on the grommet orients the sensor to the proper position.
I agree with you as well. The flat spot on the grommet (if that is what you mean by indentation) lines up with the raised, horizontal line molded into the washer fluid tank. The sensor then has that same flat spot that must be oriented upward to "lock" against the washer fluid tank.

So I ask this question to all of you reading this thread. Looking at the quotes I pasted into my first post, you can see that a lot of people are installing the sensor the wrong way. How are they claiming that it works in what would be an incorrect, upside down orientation?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't answer how it works but I did go look at mine. The electrical plug has the locking tab facing the ground. So as long as that is facing down and the sensor is good it should work.
GL
Chris
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LO PHAT
I agree with you as well. The flat spot on the grommet (if that is what you mean by indentation) lines up with the raised, horizontal line molded into the washer fluid tank. The sensor then has that same flat spot that must be oriented upward to "lock" against the washer fluid tank.

So I ask this question to all of you reading this thread. Looking at the quotes I pasted into my first post, you can see that a lot of people are installing the sensor the wrong way. How are they claiming that it works in what would be an incorrect, upside down orientation?

Do you happen to have photos of the correct orientation & fix?
I've got the same problem - and having a pain in the butt of a time finding valid info.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

There was a change in the coolant tank sensor where it switched which way the contacts were to indicate low coolant (shorted = low vs open = low) sometime part way through the production. Maybe the 2001 model year. It wouldn't surprize me that the operation of this sensor was reversed at the same time.

Your float is switching on and off so it should work on the car. Plug the float in and test it and find out which way up it needs to be to work. You could also try shorting the connector with a jumper vs leaving the connector open to see which way triggers a low coolant indication.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
LO PHAT
Pro

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
There was a change in the coolant tank sensor where it switched which way the contacts were to indicate low coolant (shorted = low vs open = low) sometime part way through the production. Maybe the 2001 model year. It wouldn't surprize me that the operation of this sensor was reversed at the same time.
If this is true, it would explain a lot!

Your float is switching on and off so it should work on the car. Plug the float in and test it and find out which way up it needs to be to work. You could also try shorting the connector with a jumper vs leaving the connector open to see which way triggers a low coolant indication.
I need to experiment more. My car's sensor does seem to be working based on the resistance measurements I got, and I know that I had it installed correctly in the washer fluid tank. The float is also perfectly free with no binding. I can actually rotate the sensor more than 45 degrees in either direction and the float still works like it should (as verified with a cup of water).

Why I keep getting the "low washer fluid" message on the DIC is beyond me.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM
LO PHAT
Pro

Originally Posted by timmmmay
Do you happen to have photos of the correct orientation & fix?
I've got the same problem - and having a pain in the butt of a time finding valid info.

Thanks,
Tim
I guess I need to first ask what year your Corvette is since it has been suggested that the sensor design might have changed somewhere around the 2001 model year.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by LO PHAT

Why are you surprised that you may get erroneous information on the internet or this forum? One has to keep in mind that EVERYTHING on this and any other web source is only an opinion, which may or not be correct. When these opinions are backed up by official sources such as factory service manuals and publications then that is the best it gets. Everything else has to be considered purely speculative.

It's up to you to sort out the noise. To take it to an extreme, would you make a life or death decision based on something you read on a forum? Me neither.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
LO PHAT
Pro

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Why are you surprised that you may get erroneous information on the internet or this forum? One has to keep in mind that EVERYTHING on this and any other web source is only an opinion, which may or not be correct. When these opinions are backed up by official sources such as factory service manuals and publications then that is the best it gets. Everything else has to be considered purely speculative.

It's up to you to sort out the noise. To take it to an extreme, would you make a life or death decision based on something you read on a forum? Me neither.

Errr ... OK ... ummmm ... yeah ... I don't mean to sound rude, but ............ DUH!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I looked through the manuals for the tank replacement. Up to 2001 the manuals shows to remove and re-install the float and the picture shows it installed hanging down. 2002+ don't mention anything about re-using the float or have any pictures.

My guess would be that despite it appearing the float lines up to the tank installed hinging up that it really installs hinging down.

When are you going to test it and let us know?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM
LO PHAT
Pro

I looked through the manuals for the tank replacement. Up to 2001 the manuals shows to remove and re-install the float and the picture shows it installed hanging down. 2002+ don't mention anything about re-using the float or have any pictures.

My guess would be that despite it appearing the float lines up to the tank installed hinging up that it really installs hinging down.
Only in the world of GM...

When are you going to test it and let us know?
I pulled everything completely apart again. I cleaned up the float's magnet with bar soap and a toothbrush and then double checked that the resistance readings were still the same as they were before. I put everything back together exactly the same way that it has always been (with the float and flat spot facing up) and filled the washer fluid tank with distilled water.

I've run several errands with my car over the past two days since doing all of that. So far the "low washer fluid" message hasn't returned.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Washer Fluid -- Are You Kidding Me With The Search Results?

Quick Reply: Low Washer Fluid -- Are You Kidding Me With The Search Results?