C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Transmission Brace

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM
rnelson11
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pfadt Transmission Brace

How hard is this to install? Does it replace something else?

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/100
Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

A better question for you, why do you want it? Yes, it replaces the transaxle mount.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D
A better question for you, why do you want it? Yes, it replaces the transaxle mount.
I've been told these braces are additional insurance for your differential. I know mine shattered the casing without one, and when I upgrade my diff., then it's going back together with one, though I'm using the ECS one that's made from aluminum.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

I've played with the idea of making a new mount for my differential. A mount that balances the whole rear end of the tube on a single sharp point. A gimball of some kind perhaps?. One that lets the tube roll on its axis all it wants. It would still hold it in the center, though.

But who has time to do something that wouldnt actually change anything?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
rnelson11
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I want one because it is suppose to minimize wheel hop and reduce stress on the drive train.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rnelson11
I want one because it is suppose to minimize wheel hop and reduce stress on the drive train.
What modification have you made to your car so far and what is your planned use? Model year and trans type would help as well.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zeevette
I've been told these braces are additional insurance for your differential. I know mine shattered the casing without one, and when I upgrade my diff., then it's going back together with one, though I'm using the ECS one that's made from aluminum.
zeevette, I believe you made a good choice with the ECS transaxle brace. However, the one in question that the original poster links does nothing to improve the transaxle interface. It replaces the stock rear mount.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM
rnelson11
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

It looks like you'd have to take the whole thing out for the ECS and I really didn't want to do that. It looks like zeevette already has his out.

Mine is a 2004 coupe with a MN6. I have a CIA and catback with headers on the way. I don't plan to race but if the opertunity comes up for a burnout I don't want it to hop or break something.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rnelson11
It looks like you'd have to take the whole thing out for the ECS and I really didn't want to do that. It looks like zeevette already has his out.

Mine is a 2004 coupe with a MN6. I have a CIA and catback with headers on the way. I don't plan to race but if the opertunity comes up for a burnout I don't want it to hop or break something.
PM sent.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Here are the install instructions:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...ans-mounts.pdf

Looks like you need to drop the cradle, not the trans & diff, you support those.

I already have the ECS trans brace & like Mr. Zee I need to drop my drive line & will probably go with this brace as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:56 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I have one on my car. I did not install but when I asked the shop about the install he said they were able to do by lowering the cradle down some and that you did not have to take it out completely.

With this brace the car felt more solid. Maybe its in my head I dont know but I am happy with it. I did get a new vibration that starts at about 2200 under light acceleration. At wide open throttle its not there. I think I need to have my torque tube rebuilt. My car has over 100k miles on and that is the last piece of my drive line I have not rebuilt/upgraded.

I also want to do new engine mounts and the other trans/diff brace when money allows.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

zeevette, I believe you made a good choice with the ECS transaxle brace. However, the one in question that the original poster links does nothing to improve the transaxle interface. It replaces the stock rear mount.

You're right; I just clicked on his link and saw that he was talking about the pinion snubber type brace, not the one I was thinking about. Pfadt does make the brace that ties together the diff and trans, and it looks like the ECS one, but is made from steel, I believe.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:46 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Pfadt brace does help eliminate wheel how and I few like it handled better going around curves. It is a pain to install but not too difficult with the right tools such as the correct length deep dish socket. Its kinda hard to lower the cradle without it. You only need to lower the cradle about 1 inch and you should be able to get it in there.
Oh another thing is it probably 1/3rd the weight of the stock piece.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
BaadGoat2006
Instructor

I have the DTE brace ready to go on my car and would like to inquire about adding this brace to my car as well. I have substantial wheel hop in this cold weather and would like to see if this would help.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm near ready to drop the drive line so I'm in the grudge looking @ the stock mount & the Pfadt brace posted.

Nice! I can really see how the diff could shake badly & amplify The brace would stabilize & spread the load.

I just wonder regarding vibration being transmitted, I'm planning motor mounts & I think this was just added to list to things to do while apart.

The OP owes me the price of the brace
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I installed both the Pfadt trans brace and the ECS brace as part of my build. I have no wheel hop or vibration issues and the car feels rock solid/planted when accelerating/shifting...highly recommended for higher hp builds..

Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CTD
I'm near ready to drop the drive line so I'm in the grudge looking @ the stock mount & the Pfadt brace posted.

Nice! I can really see how the diff could shake badly & amplify The brace would stabilize & spread the load.

I just wonder regarding vibration being transmitted, I'm planning motor mounts & I think this was just added to list to things to do while apart.

The OP owes me the price of the brace
I noticed a slight resonance at a very specific rpm right after I installed it if I remember correctly but I dont notice anything anymore or I could have just gotten used to it. I think the resonance occurred at 1300 rpm if Im not mistaken though, also I did notice that on top of the Slp loudmouth exhaust. I now have longtubes and zo6 ti's and dont notice anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Transmission Brace

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by m6 c5
The Pfadt brace does help eliminate wheel how and I few like it handled better going around curves. It is a pain to install but not too difficult with the right tools such as the correct length deep dish socket. Its kinda hard to lower the cradle without it. You only need to lower the cradle about 1 inch and you should be able to get it in there.
Oh another thing is it probably 1/3rd the weight of the stock piece.
Care to share what the correct length deep dish socket is so I can buy it?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RC000E
Care to share what the correct length deep dish socket is so I can buy it?
If I knew I would tell you but it has been almost a year since I installed this. I think it was something like 1 1/16 or something like that, although it was probably metric. All I know is I spent a long time using a close ended wrench on each of the four nuts which can only be turned a few degrees.
If I get a chance Ill get the car up in the air to let you know.

And that should be size deep dish, not sure why I put length....
Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
BaadGoat2006
Instructor

high 240s in duration, .650ish lift and borla stingers. I do not think i will notice much more vibration or resonance. lol

Quick Reply: Pfadt Transmission Brace