C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Chaos! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 PM
joe buick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is 300 miles away. Monday i'm going to drive up there and car trailer it back.

I tried the "blown" coil on a different cylinder and it didn't work. When I get it back, I'll be able to fully trace the wires back to the firewall then to the computer. Thanks for the schematics, that will help.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM
cbell3186
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey JoeBuick,

Did you ever see a resolution to this issue? I think my 99 FRC is doing the same thing, intermittent misfires, unburned fuel out of the tail pipes over time etc. any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:25 PM
joe buick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prior owner installed MSD coils and wires on the LS6. One of the wires went bad, took the coil out, and popped the fuse.

What I think happened is the ignition wire came loose, arced, and burned it up. It happened over time so when it started missing, I would slide the wire back onto the coil and eventually the arcing between the coil and wire burned it up.

It's simple, just measure the resistance on the ignition wire. I can't remember what the range is but it was obvious when I measured. Also check the fuse under the hood. Even with the fuse blown, the car would run, sporadically.

Good luck with your fix. --joe

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Chaos! Need Help!