C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube carnage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM
big hoss 98C5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would Like to thank Rick for all his hard work on my car to get it right. He did a great job slamming it, changing all four shocks to new Z06 shocks, and fixing my torque tube. The car has since received a full detail that took my whole sat and full strip and polish of my 19-20 505's.I think Rick has pics of the car sitting in his shop stance is sick. Thank you again Rick!-Vern

Last edited by big hoss 98C5; 11-19-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by big hoss 98C5
I would Like to thank Rick for all his hard work on my car to get it right. He did a great job slamming it, changing all four shocks to new Z06 shocks, and fixing my torque tube. The car has since received a full detail that took my whole sat and full strip and polish of my 19-20 505's.I think Rick has pics of the car sitting in his shop stance is sick. Thank you again Rick!-Vern
It was good working with you also. Here is the slammed pics.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

In the first post you mention that if a car has vibration in the shifter, this is a good sign that the torque tube couplers need to be replaced... soon. My car has recently developed a vibration around 70 mph and up. I actually noticed it after a recent trip to the dragstrip. It may simply be wheel balance, which I will eliminate first. But my question is, what trouble shooting techniques could help determine torque tube vibration vs wheel balance or CV joint vibration?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by chevy406
In the first post you mention that if a car has vibration in the shifter, this is a good sign that the torque tube couplers need to be replaced... soon. My car has recently developed a vibration around 70 mph and up. I actually noticed it after a recent trip to the dragstrip. It may simply be wheel balance, which I will eliminate first. But my question is, what trouble shooting techniques could help determine torque tube vibration vs wheel balance or CV joint vibration?
The wheels/tires can be balanced, CV joints can be inspected but don't usually cause vibration unless it's coming apart. The TT couplers doesn't really have a sign/vibration until its pretty much too late. I recommend taking the driveshaft out of the TT when you have it out and inspect it. If it's never replaced, it might be a good idea to replaced them. They do deteriorate over time more than the mileage.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Poly Question

Rick:
Have you had any experience with any of the poly couplers failing yet or is it too early in their life-cycle? They are a relatively "new" product but they have now been on the market for a couple years and maybe have had time to accumulate mileage/wear/tear. As you know, there are several different companies offering them for sale. Any thoughts as to durability, etc?

Tnx

P.S. Your shop is waaay too clean. The sign of a sick mind.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Rick:
Have you had any experience with any of the poly couplers failing yet or is it too early in their life-cycle? They are a relatively "new" product but they have now been on the market for a couple years and maybe have had time to accumulate mileage/wear/tear. As you know, there are several different companies offering them for sale. Any thoughts as to durability, etc?

Tnx

P.S. Your shop is waaay too clean. The sign of a sick mind.
All the DSS poly couplers I have installed haven't had any issues. I haven't personally removed to inspect after miles were put on but they are very nice pieces.

Thanks for the compliment! It's one of those things that I take pride in. I'm as **** as they come and number of my customers won't let anybody else touch their car because of it. LOL.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

First off the torque tube doesn’t move so it can not cause vibration due to imbalance. However, the propshaft that rotates in the torque tube can cause vibration, but it is not common. If there is something wrong with the propshaft you should get the same vibration by revving the engine up to the same rpm as when cursing at 70 mph with the clutch pedal out and the trans in neutral. If you don’t have the vibration while doing this, it is something other than the propshaft or couplers. You might what to check your half shafts.

Rick, nice shop!!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Eric D
First off the torque tube doesn’t move so it can not cause vibration due to imbalance. However, the propshaft that rotates in the torque tube can cause vibration, but it is not common. If there is something wrong with the propshaft you should get the same vibration by revving the engine up to the same rpm as when cursing at 70 mph with the clutch pedal out and the trans in neutral. If you don’t have the vibration while doing this, it is something other than the propshaft or couplers. You might what to check your half shafts.

Rick, nice shop!!
Thanks!!!

I agree that driveshaft inside the TT doesn't all of a sudden go out of balance but if the rubber couplers are falling apart, it will cause vibration issues. Also, free spinning the driveshaft (in neutral) and loading (driving at 70 mph) will have different effect on vibration IMHO.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56
Thanks!!!

I agree that driveshaft inside the TT doesn't all of a sudden go out of balance but if the rubber couplers are falling apart, it will cause vibration issues. Also, free spinning the driveshaft (in neutral) and loading (driving at 70 mph) will have different effect on vibration IMHO.
Imbalance is imbalance. It doesn't care about load. That's why an engine with an out of balance flywheel will shake load or unloaded, same thing with an out of balance tire. It doesn't matter if you are accelerating or not (load), if it is out of balance it will shake. With tires it feels the worst when the rpm matches the suspension resonance, but it has little to do with load.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D
First off the torque tube doesn’t move so it can not cause vibration due to imbalance...

Well, technically the torque tube being fixed to both the bellhousing and the transmission does in fact move, along with every other part that is attached to the car. In regard to loaded vs unloaded vibration, if one of the members is flexing it will behave differently under a load. Think about tuning a guitar or piano.

Thanks for your input Rick.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

All the DSS poly couplers I have installed haven't had any issues. I haven't personally removed to inspect after miles were put on but they are very nice pieces.

Thanks for the compliment! It's one of those things that I take pride in. I'm as **** as they come and number of my customers won't let anybody else touch their car because of it. LOL.
My car should be a pretty good test of the poly bushings...

BTW Rick: You're the only one who has driven the 427 beside Shawn, Ed and I. I only go to the best!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course I come across this thread hours after Rick casually mentions to me...."have you thought of replacing your bushings while you're in there??"

Kind of hard to ignore this sort of a warning isn't it.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

The car was at full power and BAM!!!! clunk clunk clunk.
Man... that brings back shadows of my last sexual experience!

I did not even think to have my Doctor check my Torque Tube.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Well, technically the torque tube being fixed to both the bellhousing and the transmission does in fact move, along with every other part that is attached to the car. In regard to loaded vs unloaded vibration, if one of the members is flexing it will behave differently under a load. Think about tuning a guitar or piano.

Thanks for your input Rick.

Originally Posted by WKMCD
My car should be a pretty good test of the poly bushings...

BTW Rick: You're the only one who has driven the 427 beside Shawn, Ed and I. I only go to the best!
Only car that I drove that scared me!!!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:31 PM
hak
Instructor

Have you used the Prothane couplers on any Vetts...I am wondering how they compare to the DSS couplers.

Howard
Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by hak
Have you used the Prothane couplers on any Vetts...I am wondering how they compare to the DSS couplers.

Howard
I personally have not installed any but from what other members have stated, they work well.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
hak
Instructor

Do I need 10mm or 12mm couplers for a 2002 C5?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hak
Do I need 10mm or 12mm couplers for a 2002 C5?
12mm

Quick Reply: Torque tube carnage!