C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VaraRam cold air duct question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:13 PM
trainor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VaraRam cold air duct question.

I've decided to go with the VaraRam system for my 03. Did my research and really only found 1 negative rating. My question is for the people that put this on, are ya happy with the performance? What my real question is about the VaraRam Power Duct they sell with it. Has anybody put this on at the same time and do you think its a plus to add it to the intake system. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

VRB2 on my car for three years now. You are gonna love the real SOTP gains you will get. Take you time and be patient on the install. A buddy to help makes a difference. 3-4 hours.

I do not have the power duct so no help here from me.

You will probably experience some engine surging for the first 100-200 highway speed miles. This is normal as your car's computer is learning how to handle the extra air flow and related pressures.

I am sure someone else will chime in on the duct!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the VRB2 with Power Duct on my car (04 Coupe). Also have XSPower catted longtube headers and ECS mail order tune. Feels much stronger, but have no before and after dyno numbers to verify.

Am I happy with mine? Heck yes!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I installed it on my 98,but removed it after my computer fail to relearn the extra air input. I didn't want to spend $500 for a tune. After all the Vararam is only effective past 50 mph and then it's just a few H.P. Was not worth it for me. Rahter spend my money on other thing.
If you plan or already have other mods on your car that would complement this intake,then it may be worth it.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 PM
VETTEGUY1977
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine put down 328/335 rwhp on a dynojet dyno with a vararam, power duct and an SLP axle back with no tune. Granted it was 67 degrees and the air was very dry. Either way I was happy with those results.
I never had any surging or anything like that. I actually took the car on a 500+ mile trip (each way) to Bowling Green KY right after installing it. That trip the car gave me 31mpg average including the "spirited" driving I did while down there.
It was a pain to install and a few choice words flew around my garage that afternoon. Would I do it again? Hell yes!
Dennis (c5bearsfan) @ doubledmods.com hooked me up with a good deal on the whole set up and I couldn't be happier.
I figured it was a good mod to do to get me through till I can do my heads/cam/intake/headers/tune next spring and would be a good supportive mod to those as well.
My $.02 for what its worth.
Good luck!

Edit; by the way mine is a 2000 6 speed if it makes a difference.

Last edited by VETTEGUY1977; 11-06-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 AM
loneagle
6th Gear

Default Vararam install and performance

Originally Posted by trainor
I've decided to go with the VaraRam system for my 03. Did my research and really only found 1 negative rating. My question is for the people that put this on, are ya happy with the performance? What my real question is about the VaraRam Power Duct they sell with it. Has anybody put this on at the same time and do you think its a plus to add it to the intake system. Thanks in advance.
I installed it on my '02 eight years ago very happy with performance you can really feel the power difference at any speed but on the drag strip it pulls like hell the faster you go. Works well in the rain so don't worry about hydro-lock unless you submerge the car above the front bumper but that's just common sense. I added the power duct but i did it at the same time I installed the unit. It would help if you had someone to help topside. Be patient takes 3-4 hours follow the instructions let the computor do its learn mode and you will be satisfied with the out come, Good Luck.

Last edited by loneagle; 11-07-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
trainor
Racer

Originally Posted by loneagle
I installed it on my '02 eight years ago very happy with performance you can really feel the power difference at any speed but on the drag strip it pulls like hell the faster you go. Works well in the rain so don't worry about hydro-lock unless you submerge the car above the front bumper but that's just common sense. I added the power duct but i did it at the same time I installed the unit. It would help if you had someone to help topside. Be patient takes 3-4 hours follow the instructions let the computor do its learn mode and you will be satisfied with the out come, Good Luck.
I live in Calif. and am wondering if it is a legal mod for calif. emissions. Does anybody know about this. I might sell the car one day. Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trainor
I live in Calif. and am wondering if it is a legal mod for calif. emissions. Does anybody know about this. I might sell the car one day. Thanks
It is not a leagal modification as it does not have a CARB sticker on it, but from what I hear it depends largely on your inspector.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Iwent from stock to a Blackwing (bought really cheap) that had no effect on my ET's at all.I installed a Vararam and instantly dropped 3/10's at the strip.A year later I installed the power duct and dropped almost a 1/10 more,so 4/10's drop in ET is a very good bang for the buck!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
loneagle
6th Gear

I've never had a problem with smog I also live in Ca. Been to different smog stations never had a problem or question.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I run both. I went with the intake at first and installed the duct later. I noticed better throttle response with it. It also looks better with the duct IMO.

You won't find a better intake for the C5!

http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...&categoryId=27
Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETTEGUY1977
Mine put down 328/335 rwhp on a dynojet dyno with a vararam, power duct and an SLP axle back with no tune. Granted it was 67 degrees and the air was very dry. Either way I was happy with those results.
I never had any surging or anything like that. I actually took the car on a 500+ mile trip (each way) to Bowling Green KY right after installing it. That trip the car gave me 31mpg average including the "spirited" driving I did while down there.
It was a pain to install and a few choice words flew around my garage that afternoon. Would I do it again? Hell yes!
Dennis (c5bearsfan) @ doubledmods.com hooked me up with a good deal on the whole set up and I couldn't be happier.
I figured it was a good mod to do to get me through till I can do my heads/cam/intake/headers/tune next spring and would be a good supportive mod to those as well.
My $.02 for what its worth.
Good luck!

Edit; by the way mine is a 2000 6 speed if it makes a difference.
VaraRam don't do much for HP until you doing at least 50 mph. I think you benefit more from the exhaust swap than the varaRam at the Dyno.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
VaraRam don't do much for HP until you doing at least 50 mph. I think you benefit more from the exhaust swap than the varaRam at the Dyno.
Ehh...the car is drawing in colder air at the very least. I'd also imagine the Vararam has less resistance to flow overall than the stock setup.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
robert123
Drifting

I installed mine last spiring. 3hr job for me. Not too bad. You DO have to muscle on some pieces to make it fit. Great bang for the buck.Mine costed 240.00 shipped and there IS a SOTP difference!!! I do not have a power duct but heard from many that it does not help. Headers are next for me. My 2.73 gears need all the help they can get.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Trios
Ehh...the car is drawing in colder air at the very least. I'd also imagine the Vararam has less resistance to flow overall than the stock setup.
It gets you a whole 2 extra hp? You have to clean your filter twice as often.Remember you are now getting cold air and everything else rammed into your intake filter. What I'm saying is that using the varaRam by itself is basically useless. I know it make some feel like they have a track car right after they installed them. There are numerous thread on here,that would support what I'm saying. Now, if you replaced your TBI,Intake manifold,Install header,Xpipe,Some decent mufflers and maybe a cam you then got something,but just the varaRam by itself is not worth it. Just my option. I rather save my cash and install a better exhaust and just open a couple hole into the stock filter housing and drill a few holes into the fog light housing. I'll be making my own system for my 99 FRC play car using the stock filter box. Will cost me less and will preform better than the varaRam.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert123
I installed mine last spiring. 3hr job for me. Not too bad. You DO have to muscle on some pieces to make it fit. Great bang for the buck.Mine costed 240.00 shipped and there IS a SOTP difference!!! I do not have a power duct but heard from many that it does not help. Headers are next for me. My 2.73 gears need all the help they can get.
I would do the gears first.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It gets you a whole 2 extra hp? You have to clean your filter twice as often.Remember you are now getting cold air and everything else rammed into your intake filter. What I'm saying is that using the varaRam by itself is basically useless. I know it make some feel like they have a track car right after they installed them. There are numerous thread on here,that would support what I'm saying. Now, if you replaced your TBI,Intake manifold,Install header,Xpipe,Some decent mufflers and maybe a cam you then got something,but just the varaRam by itself is not worth it. Just my option. I rather save my cash and install a better exhaust and just open a couple hole into the stock filter housing and drill a few holes into the fog light housing. I'll be making my own system for my 99 FRC play car using the stock filter box. Will cost me less and will preform better than the varaRam.

If you and I lined up at a good strip, all mods equal, except "holes" vs. VRB2, You are going down by five cars 3 outta 5 passes, allowing for driver error. The VRB2 comes into play at the big end. The dyno can't measure effects of forced cold air at 60-110 plus. No matter the filter you clean it when it is dirty. You throw yours away, I reinstall mine.

I know a C5 Vert, Coupe, (mine) and C5 Z06 that all cut 3/10ths or better with just this mod. Sorry, just a personally observed fact. Thunder Valley Raceway, Noble Oklahoma on the same night!

Get notified of new replies

To VaraRam cold air duct question.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
If you and I lined up at a good strip, all mods equal, except "holes" vs. VRB2, You are going down by five cars 3 outta 5 passes, allowing for driver error. The VRB2 comes into play at the big end. The dyno can't measure effects of forced cold air at 60-110 plus. No matter the filter you clean it when it is dirty. You throw yours away, I reinstall mine.

I know a C5 Vert, Coupe, (mine) and C5 Z06 that all cut 3/10ths or better with just this mod. Sorry, just a personally observed fact. Thunder Valley Raceway, Noble Oklahoma on the same night!
Are you saying that if you and I have two base C5 and you have the VaraRam and I don't,that you would beat me by five car length just because of the varaRam b2?

Last edited by Dale002; 11-09-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

I think thats what he's saying. I went from a Blackwing to a Vararam and the difference is pretty dramatic for a bolt on part. Other than headers I can't think of another bolt on mod (sans a supercharger) that will give better TRACK results than a VR.
Are you saying that if you and I have to base C5 and you have the VaraRam and I don't,that you would beat me by five car length jusy because of the varaRam?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hardcore4sure
I think thats what he's saying. I went from a Blackwing to a Vararam and the difference is pretty dramatic for a bolt on part. Other than headers I can't think of another bolt on mod (sans a supercharger) that will give better TRACK results than a VR.
Why don't every body have one?

Quick Reply: VaraRam cold air duct question.