C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Irony
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help - Clutch

I have a 2001 with an
• LS6 engine
• RPM level IV transmission
• C6 Z06 short throw shifter
• Z06 clutch and other mods

On my way home yesterday I found that the clutch pedal traveled higher that it normally did. Parked it overnight and this morning when I got in the clutch travels right down to the floor without any resistance and I cannot get the shifter out of 1st. However the car will start. I finally managed to wiggle the shifter into neutral. I cannot get into any gear.

HELP!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Irony
I have a 2001 with an
• LS6 engine
• RPM level IV transmission
• C6 Z06 short throw shifter
• Z06 clutch and other mods

On my way home yesterday I found that the clutch pedal traveled higher that it normally did. Parked it overnight and this morning when I got in the clutch travels right down to the floor without any resistance and I cannot get the shifter out of 1st. However the car will start. I finally managed to wiggle the shifter into neutral. I cannot get into any gear.

HELP!!!!
You should be able to move that shifter easily with car off.....clutch or no clutch. Is there fluid in the master? Have you been underneath to inspect for leaks?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Irony
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
You should be able to move that shifter easily with car off.....clutch or no clutch. Is there fluid in the master? Have you been underneath to inspect for leaks?
Yes there is fluid in the master.
I can only move it back and forth in neutral.
I don't have a lift but didn't see any leaks
Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the car sitting level when you are trying to move the shifter with the engine off?
With the engine off try rocking the car slightly while you put it into gear.
If that works then you can ignore the transmission and focus on the clutch hydraulics. My guess is that your master cylinder has failed. It is the easiest component in the system to change, so that would be a good place to start. But before you order a new one, crawl under the car and look for any sign of fluid leakage from the slave cylinder, line or quick disconnect. It wouldn't hurt to also drop the bellhousing dust cover and check for any broken parts from the clutch.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
cptinjak
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the clutch pedal pump up at all? If it drops to the floor, pick it back up and pump as many times as necessary to get some pedal firmness back. If this works, take the bell housing off and have someone watch the slave.

If you cant build any pedal pressure, and there are no leaks, i agree that the master is probably toast.

Jack
Old 10-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Irony
Instructor

Took it to a shop; it's the slave that needs replacing.
$1100 WTF

While it up there any suggestion on what else I may want to replace or mod
Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll do a slave replacement for 1/3 of that. If you already have a fairly new clutch and it is holding up to your power level, there isn't any need to replace it at this time. Just have them make sure the slave didn't leak fluid on the clutch disk.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Irony
Instructor

Originally Posted by chevy406
I'll do a slave replacement for 1/3 of that. If you already have a fairly new clutch and it is holding up to your power level, there isn't any need to replace it at this time. Just have them make sure the slave didn't leak fluid on the clutch disk.
Well you are a bit too far from DE or I would tow it down to you. I am forced to pay the 8 hours book rate for a job that should not take that long
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Irony
Well you are a bit too far from DE or I would tow it down to you. I am forced to pay the 8 hours book rate for a job that should not take that long
Oh no. It takes that long. That's why most folks negotiate to have the clutch, slave and pilot bearing replaced at the same time. It's the labor in this job not the parts. The slave is only $100.00 or so.

When they built these cars they hung a slave cylinder from the ceiling and then built the car around it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Oh no. It takes that long. That's why most folks negotiate to have the clutch, slave and pilot bearing replaced at the same time. It's the labor in this job not the parts. The slave is only $100.00 or so.

When they built these cars they hung a slave cylinder from the ceiling and then built the car around it.
That's Funny! and having done a clutch twice in my garage,on jackstands,I think it's true...

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Clutch

Quick Reply: Help - Clutch