C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of car too low. How to raise it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
toomanymodz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front of car too low. How to raise it?

I just bought a 97 and the front is just over 3 inches off the ground. I cannot drive onto any driveway that has any kind of incline. It's just too low. This is my first vette and I have no idea how to raise the front. I'd like to raise it, but no more than 1/2 inch higher. Ideas??
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Jack up the front end and place car on stands. Remove wheels and look at the end of the spring. You will see an adjuster bolt running from spring to the A arm. Take appropriate number of turns (count # of turns ) to get the lift you want. 5 full turns should equal about 1/2". Do the same to the other side of car. Reassemble and drive for a few miles to settle the suspension. Check dimension, if not high enough repeat. It is simple.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's lowered on stock bolts then it's as easy as loading the suspension and turning a bolt: see here: http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbi...5_Lowering.htm

Can you post a picture of your car sitting on a level surface? Do you know if your suspension is still stock?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 AM
TheWildcat
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

where are you located? its not hard to raise back up if somoene didnt take the ajustment bolts all the way out..John
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM
toomanymodz
Intermediate

I'm about 45 miles north of Tampa. I just bought the car last week and have little to no information about what mods were done. The brakes were upgraded, and plenty of mods done under the hood including a Kenne-Bell setup. I'll see if I can pull a wheel off this afternoon. I have some general pics in my Profile.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

If you're lowered to the max on the stock bolts, you'd have a lot more than just 3" clearance. Check your front spring for cracks/splinters as they are known to break (mine was when I bought it).

You might have a set of lowering bolts up front, but I don't think even those will get you that low. Bad spring. Bad, bad spring.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
toomanymodz
Intermediate

I'll be sure to look at the springs closely. The car does have a vibration above 55 MPH. It feels like the wheels are out of balance.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

My comment on not having much clearance was under the assumption that you are talking about the stock front fascia having only 3" of clearance. If you have an aftermarket bumper and/or splitter, then that would explain the minimal clearance. If this is the case, then your spring probably isn't the issue.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
toomanymodz
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I'll do it this afternoon, sounds simple enough. I'd post a pic, but it appears as though I don't have access.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toomanymodz
Thanks for the replies. I'll do it this afternoon, sounds simple enough. I'd post a pic, but it appears as though I don't have access.
When you turn the adj. bolt you have to use a small jack to lift the end of the spring so the adj. bushing is not resting on the A- arm, or it will not turn. You turn it clockwise to raise [so less threads are showing above the spring. ] If its just the air dam rubbing don`t worry about it, thats normal.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
toomanymodz
Intermediate

I removed a front wheel and what I see is a little confusing. I see the adjuster bolt, but only one or two threads are showing up top. Under the spring there are many threads showing. It seems as if it's adjusted almost as high as it can go.

UPDATE:
I removed the other side and now I see the issue. The rubber bushing is squished on the one side and that is why it's threaded all the way down. Looks like I need to replace it.

Last edited by toomanymodz; 09-20-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure you've figured this out but when pulling into any drives or going over and steep humps it helps to drive over at as much angle as you can, one front wheel first, then the other.

It's the only way I can get out of one of the popular BBQ places here in Evansville without bottoming out and I'm running stock heights!

HTH
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 PM
mark2004
5th Gear

On this topic of raising the front end.My car has had it's factory adjustable bolts replace with new ones, it appears with new urethane bushings. Are these bolts adjustable.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Jack up the front end and place car on stands. Remove wheels and look at the end of the spring. You will see an adjuster bolt running from spring to the A arm. Take appropriate number of turns (count # of turns ) to get the lift you want. 5 full turns should equal about 1/2". Do the same to the other side of car. Reassemble and drive for a few miles to settle the suspension. Check dimension, if not high enough repeat. It is simple.
Great avatar CHJ
Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me chime in. I have a 97 that I bought about 14 months ago. I thought the previous owner had slammed it to the ground. It would scrape on every speed bump and my driveway.
Well I bought the C6 ZO6 shocks and after the install the car is now about a inch higher.

The factory shocks are gas charged and over time (15 years) they lose the pressure. The new shocks brought it back up. If you want it higher buy the C6 ZO6 ($245 for all 4). Then if it's to high mess with the springs. Odds are it has never been lowered , but the factory shocks have lost pressure.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

One thing nobody mentioned. After you determine whether the car has been lowered front and rear or not, and you find out if you need to raise it or not, a couple of points. Is it the front air dam under the car that is scraping? It's designed to scrape and fold back if necessary, so that is no issue. You'll just have to get used to the noise, it's normal. Secondly, unless you have coilover shocks, conventional shocks do not determine ride height, only springs do. If you do need to still raise the front, you must make sure that the front is no higher than the rear. The car is supposed to have a rake with the front at least 1/2" lower than the rear for proper aerodynamics or the car will have decreased stability at highway speeds.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
Secondly, unless you have coilover shocks, conventional shocks do not determine ride height, only springs do.
I agree with this on most cars, however I had the same experience as SPEED750 on my '99 coupe. When I bought my car, it was low and scraped often. I gained a very noticeable amount of ride height when I swapped my blown F45 shocks for C6 Z51. The lift remains after the suspension settled. The only time I scrape now is when I do something stupid.

Get notified of new replies

To Front of car too low. How to raise it?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:09 AM
JBVETT
Advanced

Default C6 shock

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
I agree with this on most cars, however I had the same experience as SPEED750 on my '99 coupe. When I bought my car, it was low and scraped often. I gained a very noticeable amount of ride height when I swapped my blown F45 shocks for C6 Z51. The lift remains after the suspension settled. The only time I scrape now is when I do something stupid.
Interesting shock info, will the C6 Z51 shocks bolt on without any modifications?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, any C6 shocks bolt on, Z06, Z51, etc.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It's been over 2 years. I would hope he's got his problem figured out by now....

Quick Reply: Front of car too low. How to raise it?