C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Convertible 6 spd Start Issues- PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*** UPDATE

I had the starter installed and car cranks up. However the Service Steering Column Lock kept coming on display. Whenever I would put the car in gear (1st or reverse) and try and accelerate it would just shut off. The tech's at Meineke were dumbfounded. No codes were coming up/or service engine lights. I dont get it... The tech at Meineke says the PCM needs to be reprogrammed at the Chevy dealer with Tech2 (according to his research). I had the steering column lock and relay replaced this past June. So I got the car towed to the local dealer.

Has anyone else ever had this issue?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

100%

BC
Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't let the dealer touch anything! GM has tried to address this problem several times and failed miserably. Not to mention they will charge you some serious $$$$ to mess with it.

Seriously... Go get it back tomorrow. Your PCM is fine.

You can probably fix this problem very easily and with very little cost. Listen to 8Vette7's advice. He's the resident expert on this.

You might want to check out the sticky's at the top of the tech section if you're going to keep this car a while. They've save a lot of us a lot of money. Here's the one on the column lock: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html
Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Hey 8vette7,

The steering column was NOT locked. Just kept saying "service steering column lock" on the display. The fuel shut off kept happening and the car would stall. The steering column Lock and Relay were both changed on June 6th of this year. The battery (optima red top) was purchased in August this year.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Yes, my column did lock when I turned the car off and took the key out of the ignition. So i think the CLB is a smart idea to prevent the motor from failing again since I had it replaced this summer.

Anyone have any clue where I can get the tuning done in the Washington DC area for the fuel shut off speed to be raised much higher? Or is this something that can be done via a programmer I can purchase?

I had the car towed to the dealer yesterday afternoon. Those guys are so arrogant and generally not helpful. They said they wont touch the car til Monday since they only have 1 Corvette tech. Therefore, I can't check to see if the spliced purple wire and relay modification were done correctly. The previous owner had the recall done. I still had to replace the steering column lock motor and relay...

When I checked the leak was pretty massive on the drivers side. passenger side was dry initially. The car got extremely humid and condensation was everywhere. I did not check as high up as the BCM, but their was a little moisture on the passenger side carpet.

I can go pick up the car but it will shut off if I try moving it. Is there a way to override that so I can get it home? I don't want to pay for another tow.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 139 Likes on 130 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Sorry i cant help ,just sending you good wishes i hate when stuff like this happens.
good luck and i hope you get everything straightened out
very nice, indeed
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Yea, going forward I will always consult the forum first. I've always enjoyed thumbing through the threads. There is a veritable wealth of knowledge here! And you guys don't make me feel stupid for asking questions. GM and the Chevy dealer I took my car to could really learn the meaning of customer "support" from the forum.

I had no idea about the reserve amp rating. The only thing mentioned to me at time of purchase was "its the best". lol. sigh.

I definitely plan on keeping this car for a while, God willing. So I will gut the interior to locate the leak on driver side. I checked all the udders and drains, all clear. So I want to ensure I don't have this issue again.

Since the dealer installed a new column lock motor and relay in June, I am hoping it's not an issue again. The battery may have been drained while the car was left at Meineke as they probably left the door/hood open as they installed the new starter.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Thanks! I hope so too

Originally Posted by Chuck A
Sorry i cant help ,just sending you good wishes i hate when stuff like this happens.
good luck and i hope you get everything straightened out
very nice, indeed
Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Toppdon
Intermediate

Hey everyone. I just picked up my car from the dealer. They said the column lock relay failed for some reason so they replaced it. I hope this is the end of it!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toppdon
Hey everyone. I just picked up my car from the dealer. They said the column lock relay failed for some reason so they replaced it. I hope this is the end of it!
Glad it's fixed. Now get a CLB from Corvettes of Houston so this doesn't happen to you again... $50 bucks is cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: 2000 Convertible 6 spd Start Issues- PLEASE HELP!