C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Speedometer/Cluster replacement... odometer info transferred?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Corvette Speedometer/Cluster replacement... odometer info transferred?

If I replace my Corvette Speedometer/Cluster Z06 HUD, does the odometer information get "transferred" to the new unit? In my case, my current odometer, speedometer, and other gauges are fine. The change is to address a cosmetic issue.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

The odometer "memory" is stored in a module in the gauge cluster. You can actually swap the odometer module between the two gauge clusters to keep your existing odometer reading.
Here is what the module looks like

and here is a shot of taking it out.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Pop the white back cover off the gauge cluster:

Unscrew the circuit board and roll it back to access the 3 flat harness connectors:

Release the clips and unplug the 3 connectors to remove the odometer/DIC module:
The following users liked this post:
BlueAngelVet (11-28-2018)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Holy Cow... Chevy 406, thank you for such a helpful reply! I really appreciate it.

I assume when I purchase the cluster, it is one assembly and I can't get it minus the Odometer/DIC module, true?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

It will typically all be included in one assembly. I bought a used Z06 gauge cluster and HUD assembly. I liked the 6,500 redline and Z06 gauge face better so I decided to use it in my '99 along with the HUD install. But I wasn't about to loose all the miles I have racked up on my car, so I started digging into the cluster until I had the odometer out. The hardest part is dealing with the small screws and not breaking the plastic tabs.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chevy406
It will typically all be included in one assembly. I bought a used Z06 gauge cluster and HUD assembly. I liked the 6,500 redline and Z06 gauge face better so I decided to use it in my '99 along with the HUD install. But I wasn't about to loose all the miles I have racked up on my car, so I started digging into the cluster until I had the odometer out. The hardest part is dealing with the small screws and not breaking the plastic tabs.
Thanks a lot for all the help. You rock

I let you know how it all turns out.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

I am so in debt to the help from this forum, I'll never be able to break even. But I'll do my best to forward anything that I've picked up along the past 6 years. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:10 PM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chevy406 thank you for your contribution and the pictures !

I understand you answered specific question how to transfer mileage from HUD console /instrument cluster to another HUD console /instrument cluster. This also applies if you do it from None-HUD to None-HUD.

However, most of the Instrument cluster swaps are when people having 1997 to early 1999 Corvettes upgrade them from None-HUD to HUD console /instrument cluster (late 1999 to 2004).

Unfortunately this is the same circuit board (DIC – Display Instrument Circuit) that contains memory storing the mileage and the one enabling HUD connection via additional connector in late models.

Please note that older 1997 to early 1999 Corvette Instrument Cluster did not have a connector on this board and this was exactly what made them HUD incapable and that is why people (like myself) had to buy used Instrument consoles from late 1999 to 2004 Corvette models.

That means either living with incorrect mileage (and calculating the difference) or giving it to some “Speedo” or “Speedometer” company local or on Internet that would adjust the mileage.

I tried to contact my local company TacomaSpeedometer.net directly and vial e-mail, I have not received any response already for about a week. The guy at Discount Tires told me that TacomaSpeedometer.net have a long backlog to even wait for an appointment for many weeks and then it took them several weeks to return his car back to him.

There are also many companies advertising on Internet both in US & Canada that you can ship the DIC and they offer adjusting the correct mileage. Please note that GM does warn that putting entire Instrument cluster on its face for more than 15 min can permanently damage liquid filled gauges therefore sending just the DIC Circuit board would seem the cheapest and the safest way to ship it.

Please see my pictures from my old Instrument Cluster and notice a lack of HUD cable connector.

On Chevy406 picture you can see additional white connector where in mine there is only white line contour for it on the circuit board.

Whole Instrument Cluster from the top.

Zoom on the missing white HUD connector (slot on the left) in Corvette models from 1997 till early 1999 making them none-HUD capable
Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 AM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please see my picture from my new Instrument Cluster and notice a white HUD cable connector on the left.

HUD Capable Cluster. White HUD connector on the left.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

Here is my further update and contribution to the forum:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

I have found great, inexpensive and fast service to correct the Odometer in Corvette Instrument Cluster when you swap it with another one due to damage or HUD upgrade!

While I still haven’t got any response from “Tacoma Speedometer” I found another local company in Puyallup WA that also does all variety of Odometer / Speedometer / Consoles / Instrument Panels Clusters repair and Odometer reading corrections.

They are called “electrospeedo.com”

They serve entire US and you can ship the Instrument Cluster to them.

The service costs $150 + tax + shipments.

They usually turn around and do the job in 24h-48h which is amazing!

I dropped the cluster yesterday afternoon and it was ready today afternoon for pick up or shipment back. I decided to pick it up myself. I have the Cluster back in 24h!

From what I understand Steve at “electrospeedo.com” has several decades of experience working on cars with last 13 years exclusively doing Speedometers / Odometers / Instrument Clusters etc. etc.

What do you need to have ready in order to have service done and be law compliant?

You can download, fill in and sign the Mileage Declaration from“electrospeedo.com” website and basically select one of 4 options:

1. Provide both Instrument clusters or

2. If original cluster is not provided, please include one of the following as proof of odometer accuracy:

a) copy of State Odometer Disclosure, or

b) photograph of original odometer and mileage reading, or

c) notarization of this Odometer Mileage Declaration.

In my case I did no longer have old cluster but I had pictures taken from both on the date of replacement. This and signed declaration was all that was needed.

What is it all about GM stating that Instrument Cluster should not be on its face for more than 15 min?

Steve has been shipping thousands of Instrument consoles all over the country and never had any issues doing this business over last 13 years exclusively.

He authorized me to share his feedback in this forum that I got over the e-mail from him:

As far as shipping or delivering the cluster to us that is up to you. We ship clusters across the country every day without issue. If you wrap it in bubble wrap and use a box that does not allow it to bounce around it should be fine. The UPS store does a great job of packing for people who do not usually ship things. The warning from GM about damage is if the silicone damping fluid were to leak out of the gauge movements, they become faster reacting and may wiggle a bit before settling in. It has to be very hot out for this to happen and in our climate that is not the case. Keep in mind that GM ships them too!”

Steve also added that on a very hot day if you park your car uphill you are at higher risk of having silicone fluid leaking than when you ship it and pack it properly.

I hope someone will find this update useful, save time, trouble or headache.

I have learned a lot from You Other Users of Corvette Forum. Now is a time to give back and share what I have learned.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There is ONE small IC Chip on the main board that contains the mileage... That IC can be transplanted between main boards. Find someone that can do 2M soldering work and replace the IC with yours. You will need a air soldering station and some flux and alcohol. Add the flux to the board, heat the IC, remove it, clean the pads, resolder it to the pads.
Boulty1961 (03-09-2021)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:49 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I have found a facility here in Eastern NC that now has the capability to reprogram a cluster without removing it from the car (for those that have already swapped out their cluster) with verification of the mileage. Apparently some new software has recently become available.

Here in North Carolina the mileage is reported to CARFAX by the State (or someone there?) during the annual inspection and it can show up as a mileage error on a carfax report if you change out the cluster to one with lower mileage.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There is ONE small IC Chip on the main board that contains the mileage... That IC can be transplanted between main boards...
The odometer data is stored in an 8-pin EEPROM that's surface-mounted at the center of the IPC's main board. This IC is labeled U13 and it can be transferred.

Last edited by GCG; 12-03-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:30 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAngelVet
...However, most of the Instrument cluster swaps are when people having 1997 to early 1999 Corvettes upgrade them from None-HUD to HUD console /instrument cluster (late 1999 to 2004).

Unfortunately this is the same circuit board (DIC – Display Instrument Circuit) that contains memory storing the mileage and the one enabling HUD connection via additional connector in late models.

Please note that older 1997 to early 1999 Corvette Instrument Cluster did not have a connector on this board and this was exactly what made them HUD incapable and that is why people (like myself) had to buy used Instrument consoles from late 1999 to 2004 Corvette models...
Let me just clarify, in case it can be useful to others, that this is not completely accurate.

Some 98 and 99, even though lacking the connector, are HUD capable IPCs as long as they have in place the surface-mounted components leading to the solder pads where the connector should be mounted. The only thing that needs to be done to them is to add the missing connector (preferred method) or solder the wires directly. It's been successfully done using both methods.
  • Connector added to 98 IPC (Success is reported in Post 2)
  • Connector added to 99 IPC
I believe this other one was the very first time this was done, back in 2005. He was the one who paved the way for others

Last edited by GCG; 12-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.
BlueAngelVet (12-04-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 04:02 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

I will chime on on this, my mom's tahoe had 245,000 miles before the cluster became dead. After we purchased a new one from the dealer, it. Ended up having 192,000 since that was the last reported time it was at the dealer.

I did tell them the milage but thwy choose to go what they had om record.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:06 PM
808_c5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought a replacement cluster, I used a company called odo-pro to reprogram my mileage onto the replace t cluster. Great, quick service. I was very happy. Odo-pro.com
Old 01-01-2019, 09:44 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Let me just clarify, in case it can be useful to others, that this is not completely accurate.

Some 98 and 99, even though lacking the connector, are HUD capable IPCs as long as they have in place the surface-mounted components leading to the solder pads where the connector should be mounted. The only thing that needs to be done to them is to add the missing connector (preferred method) or solder the wires directly. It's been successfully done using both methods.
  • Connector added to 98 IPC (Success is reported in Post 2)
  • Connector added to 99 IPC

The important keyword here "Some". It appears none of the 97 and 98 model year cars can be HUD retrofitted correctly unless you change the IPC motherboard to a 99 or newer model. The head's up display work on 98 IPC's but don't support page button functionality. More info can be found HERE. 99+ clusters need to be used for 97 and 98 model cars. This is dependent on 99 and newer motherboard firmware. NOTE: The new IPC motherboard needs to match your speedometer units (mph/kph) in order to work correctly also.

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 01-01-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Speedometer/Cluster replacement... odometer info transferred?

Quick Reply: Corvette Speedometer/Cluster replacement... odometer info transferred?