C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
dewaynemichael
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

i noticed this morning that my oil preesure gauge went to 80 when i started the car and after 10 min drive was still at 80 is this normal and will this effect the car to drive it like this,and so any ideas on what it might be its a 2002 c5 with about 101.00 miles just had oil change about a month ago,please help,thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Hello Dewayne. There are several threads on this very topic and a couple different options on how to repair. Very common issue with our cars (sadly). Conduct a forum search on "oil pressure sending unit" and you will get some "light reading" on the subject. Good luck. -Glenn
Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Go to Google, type in "C5 oil pressure too high", or "C2 oil pressure reads 130" and you will see many options on how to change your sensor, even relocating it so that it can easily be changed in the future. The Google search will refer you to Corvette Forum posts. It's unusual that you have been a member this long and haven't seen all the previous discussions, there must be a thousand.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 PM
craig-o
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, you're in for a treat if you fix this yourself, or a fairly costly repair if you pay someone to do it. You need to move (not necessarily remove) the intake manifold to get to the sender. My father and I (neither with any formal mechanical training, but capable DIYers) did this on his car earlier this spring and it took us about 2hrs. If you do routine maintenance yourself (fluid changes, brake pad replacements, etc) you can surely do this yourself.

Moving the manifold seems daunting, but it's just turning a wrench. As mentioned by others, do a search and you'll find detailed instructions on this forum. Corvette Fever also published a DIY article on this quite some time ago; http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...l/viewall.html will show you insructions and detailed pictures for every step of the process. About the only tool you're probably going to need to purchase is a big socket to fit the new oil pressure sender; so buy the new one and get a non-impact socket to fit (the side-wall of a socket for an impact wrench won't have adequate clearance.) Corvette Fever rates this a "2-wrench" job on their difficulty scale, or "Beginner - basic tools."

As long as you (or someone) is in there, you should consider replacing the passenger-side A.I.R. check-valve as well; with an 11-year-old car with 100k+ miles, you're due for this part if you haven't already replaced it. This is another common repair which also requires moving the intake manifold. Do a search for P1416 on this forum. A genuine GM part will run you about $30, and an aftermarket about $15; but the real cost is getting to it.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Craig

Its NEVER a good idea to just slide the intake manifold forward!!!

If you ever remove yours and see all the DIRT, SAND and trash that finds its way in between each cylinder intake opening, you will be amazed and shocked..

You run the risk of getting that junk in the intake port AND between the O ring seal and head.

O Ring Seal:

DIRT AND SAND:

Slide that one back and see if the intake gaskets seal!

Get notified of new replies

To oil pressure gauge

Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge