C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

may need a balancer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Limitedv6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may need a balancer

Where is the best price and quality on balancers mine may need replaced. I may go with a under drive one as long as they don't cause overheating and charging issues. What has everyone seen the best result's from Thank's
Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 PM
xomega
Racer

100+ stocker/oem for about 100 plus 10 for a new bolt. 22 for a new front seal. the aftermarkets go up to 400 dollars or so. do some shopping. also, depending on the price of the front seal from the dealer. the same oem seal from advance auto is 22 dollars. just purchased one today. compared it the the factory seal, both had same part number and stamped "national seal"
Old 09-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Limitedv6
Instructor

Thanks for the reply I think that is the route I will go. I have never been a fan of the under drive pulley's anyway thanks again.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a Powerbond PB1117SS from MD (Google "PB1117SS" and it's early on the list), great price and free shipping. That balancer is SFI rated and has a large snap ring that captures the pulley portion should the rubber ever separate.

The OEM balancer offers no protection from the pulley separating and walking forward or rearward causing major damage (I read several stories of chewed up timing covers). The Powerbond balancers come highly reccomended by several on this board. Mine is O.E. diameter and is a very nice piece, all STEEL construction (not like the O.E. cast part) and painted black with timing marks (not natural finish like most of the pics I've seen). I just installed it last week and it went on beautifully. For just a few bucks more than an O.E. part it's a no brainer IMO.

I believe PB also makes underdrive models as well, but I didn't want to go that route... many report no problems with UD pulleys, others have issues with cooling and charging. I'm not taking the chance for <5 RWHP. Also, if there's even the slightest chance of installing a supercharger in the future you'll be pulling off the UD and replacing it with a stock diameter part.

Good advice on changing the seal while you're in there... it's a fairly big job so you might as well. My car has 120k miles and the seal wasn't leaking, but you never know.
The following users liked this post:
ckreider33 (04-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To may need a balancer

Quick Reply: may need a balancer