C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car's Shifter Moves Easily Without Shifting Transmission..??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Storm2313
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car's Shifter Moves Easily Without Shifting Transmission..??

Well I get in the car to go to the gym, and the auto transmission shifter went real loose and can too easily be moved forward or back as if it were shifting the car, but the car's transmission never engages out of park.

How do I get the car out of the garage to have it serviced when it won't shift out of park, and what sounds like the problem?

Believe me any help is truely appreciated.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-failure.html

Take the shifter out and see what happened. If you can temporarily repair it enough to get into gear drive it to a shop, otherwise call the flatbed...

GL
Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Storm2313
Racer

After reading the link you provided it's amazing we don't have a picture of the procedure or just the process of replacing the bushing.

Seems like quite a few people have had the same issue.

Honestly I don't know how to remove the console. Never had a reason to remove it.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Storm2313
Racer

It would be great to be able to at least shift her out of park to take her out of the garage.

I wish someone could explain if that's possible without the regular shifter.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
GoBallsDeep!
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Look underneath and see if it came loose at the tranny. It is possible to shift. I may have pics. I have repaired the bushings at both ends..tranny and shifter.

**Edit** found my thread..

I was at the carwash today and when I went to leave, I shifted into D and the shifter was loose feeling(like it was connected to nothing). Since I already had this problem before (it the linkage to the tranny that time). I just called my brother and asked to bring my roll jack. He got there, I jacked up the rear and found the lever on the tranny, started it and made sure I moved the lever to D, had him put on the brake, slid out, jacked down and took off home. I did notice that this time it was not the tranny linkage.... I figured shifter.

After taking my console and shifter out, I noticed this:

after futher inspection, I found this:

The bushing was dry rotted and cracked

Went to Autozone and found these..

Dug out the rotted bushing..

New bushing going in. I used vice grips..

Bushing in...

If you need any help lmk.

Last edited by GoBallsDeep!; 08-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Storm2313
Racer

First off your screen name is great..lol...

I've never removed the console before so I'm sure i can if someone explained preferably with pics how to do it.

When you look under the car, am I looking for anything in particular by the transmission?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I rather be honest with you rather than guess.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Storm2313
First off your screen name is great..lol...

I've never removed the console before so I'm sure i can if someone explained preferably with pics how to do it.

When you look under the car, am I looking for anything in particular by the transmission?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I rather be honest with you rather than guess.
Here's a good writeup on removing the dash and shift boot: http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...t_install.html

As to what to look for at the transmission... I have a 6MT so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to remove your X-Pipe and tunnel plate to get to the transmission cable. I guess you might be able to see the connection at the transmission without doing that; it'll be on the front of it (closest to front of car) I think towards the top and should look very similar to the connection at the shifter.

Also, since you said you're new to this car, you might not know that the transmission is in the back bolted to the differential.

GL
Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 AM
GoBallsDeep!
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Here is how to remove console..
http://c5forum.com/diy/hurstdiy.php
Then, 4 bolts to remove shifter. Carefully pull it up and you will notice if it is hooked up or not.

Also, in the rear, there is a lever on the passenger side of the A4 that the cable connects to. If you jack up the rear and look at the trans, it should be easy to see if the cable is attached or not. I changed my rear bushing without removing anything.

Last edited by GoBallsDeep!; 08-19-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Here's a good writeup on removing the dash and shift boot: http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...t_install.html

As to what to look for at the transmission... I have a 6MT so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to remove your X-Pipe and tunnel plate to get to the transmission cable. I guess you might be able to see the connection at the transmission without doing that; it'll be on the front of it (closest to front of car) I think towards the top and should look very similar to the connection at the shifter.

Also, since you said you're new to this car, you might not know that the transmission is in the back bolted to the differential.

GL
I'm having the same problem. Wanna give a shout out to cdkcorvette7 for posting the link to removing the console, worked like a charm!

Now I need to figure out how where the linkage is disconnected at. It is connected on the tranny, I was able to jack the car up, put it in neutral, start it, then get back under the car and put it in drive (I did this with my buddy holding the brake) and nowthe car is back in my garage....
Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
whiteboy444
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Found where it was disconnected. Under the shifter, I had another nut to remove but had a black cable running over it. I pryed the cable outta the bracket it was in, removed the shifter, and then low and behold, there was the linkage just laying there. Off to Advanced Auto for the bushing kit. Much thanks to GoinBallsDeep for posting the pics. Without those, I woulda been lost on how to fix it or what to even look for!

Get notified of new replies

To Car's Shifter Moves Easily Without Shifting Transmission..??

Quick Reply: Car's Shifter Moves Easily Without Shifting Transmission..??