C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Front Caliper in Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

[QUOTE=melvingregory;1579668305]
Originally Posted by alxltd1

Parts used:

C5 front Calipers - no mods
NAPA Part # 83212A Disc Brake Hardware Kit
GM Caliper rebuild kit
C5 front brackets - modified for clearance.
C6 Z51 rear rotors - no mods
NAPA Part#38253 Brake hoses - 18 1/2" in length verus 16" stock
, OEM should work, but I didn't like the stress put the lines at the frame mount point. Plus, I wanted to replace hardware with new anyway being this car is a 1998 with 80,000+ miles on it.

My wheels are OEM C6Z06 off a 2008 Z06
front: 18 inch x 9.5 inch P275/35ZR18
rear: 19 inch x 12 inch P325/30ZR19

Performance? Braking appears somewhat better, but I didn't do the mod for performance per say, as I don't track or race the car so I would let those that do make the statements about that aspect of the conversion. Logic would say it should be better. I am not getting any errors on the DIC. I have probably put 10 - 15 miles on the car since Thursday night. I will be going on a run this sunday with others in the club and that will put about a 100 or so miles on the car.
Thanks for all the information. My question on performance was more in regard to any degradation or any issues. I am doing this more for the looks, but there were early discussions with concerns about having larger or equal size calipers and rotors in the rear. Let us know how the cruise goes on Sunday. PS did you have to use any spacers on the C6Z wheels?

Last edited by alxltd1; 01-07-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
melvingregory
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=alxltd1;1579669590]
Originally Posted by melvingregory

Thanks for all the information. My question on performance was more in regard to any degradation or any issues. I am doing this more for the looks, but there were early discussions with concerns about having larger or equal size calipers and rotors in the rear. Let us know how the cruise goes on Sunday. PS did you have to use any spacers on the C6Z wheels?
No spacers on the wheels. Some say they will rub, and mine are close. Only suprise I had was with the front rims/tires. I had the front driver's side tire lightly rub inside the front fender well when I turned right. That's the problem with mass produced cars. I talked with engineers at the Bowling Green plant down the road and they explained that there are allowances in assembly. My car is 5/16" out of being square. Overall It aligns properly and drives well. The front cradle is where the difference is noted because of the rubbing. If I had stayed with factory size wheels would have never noticed it. I ended up dropping the front about an inch and changing the sway bars/shocks to C6 Z06 hardware to stop the rubbing.

Having stated that, I understand why some owners have to use spacers in the rear. If the body is slightly off the tub could rub.
Like I said it's close.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Wow, this is one of the best mods I have come across in months/years.

With all the information presented, I wonder if any aftermarket company will perfect this "upgrade" and put it together as a package deal, to include all necessary items (longer brake lines, rotors, brake caliper bracket shaved, availability to keep E-Brake, etc etc etc.)

I myself would go for a perfected system because I don't trust myself to get it right, and finding out on the street (or track) is not an option. I prefer safety too. Hahahaha
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 838 Likes on 548 Posts

any idea on where to get the longer brake lines in braided steel?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM
melvingregory
Racer

Originally Posted by _zebra
any idea on where to get the longer brake lines in braided steel?
It shouldn't be any problem, the brake lines are standard fittings banjo & female M10 X 10 18" in length. I will be replacing mine later on with a stainless set.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM
melvingregory
Racer

Originally Posted by Aprilia1
I may have missed this in other posts, but you also need to remove about 2mm off of the Z51 rear rotor from the outside edge. Any brake shop with a rotor lathe can perform this easily.A1
Thanks for the info again,
Today was nice so I cleaned on the car and while I had the wheels off to clean, I pulled the calipers off to inspect the brackets and see if any rubbing was going. The drivers side is fine. The passenger side caliper showed some signs of rubbing! So I took my dremal out and removed some the caliper where it seemed to be touching. But, only the passenger side. My goal is to get the clearance without having to trim the rotors. Because I would prefer to keep the maintenance down to just replacing parts as they wear out. And that would be the rotor and pads. There is plently of excess material on the both the brackets and calipers where the rotor hits so I should be alright. The material I removed off the brackets was enough, the new shields are fine and not rubbing. I will pull the rear wheels Monday evening and inspect them again after our road trip tomorrow.

Last edited by melvingregory; 01-07-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Excellent thread - subscribed!

I might just do this - all I need is C5 front calipers, I have all the C6 Z51 stuff already and my left over C5 front brackets already!

"BUT" one question again, will they clear 17" wheels? - because I have 17" wheels with slicks on them for the drag track!

Currently my combo is 19x11 rear and 18x9.5 front - just worried about the 17" C5 Z06 drag wheels clear the combo!

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
melvingregory
Racer

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

I might just do this - all I need is C5 front calipers, I have all the C6 Z51 stuff already and my left over C5 front brackets already!

"BUT" one question again, will they clear 17" wheels? - because I have 17" wheels with slicks on them for the drag track!

Currently my combo is 19x11 rear and 18x9.5 front - just worried about the 17" C5 Z06 drag wheels clear the combo!

Thanks,Matt
Hmm.. maybe try setting one the 17"'s on the front hub to see if they clear.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

Thanks,Matt

Check out post #70 of this thread. He made it work with 17's.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Caesar68
Check out post #70 of this thread. He made it work with 17's.
Thank you! That is what I needed - I have C6 Z51 rotors and brackets upfront right now

So I couldn't just go out and slap it on for a test fit

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Im getting really sick of you all setting the standards low. Seriously guys!!!

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Im just kidding of course, just thought Id add some sarcasm
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
baddboyz03
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

ttt
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM
melvingregory
Racer

Report from 100+ road trip. There appears to be no issues with the setup. We went on a run this sunday with some members of our local club. Pulled the wheels and checked the pads, rotor, calipers and shields. Pads are seating fine, braking was good. No panic stops or hard braking was done yet. I like to let brake pads and rotors to break in for a few miles before pushing if then. I am satisfied with the appearance and the only thing I will do with brake setup is locate some stainless lines for the rear. Again, I was going for appearance not so much performance.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Report from 100+ road trip. There appears to be no issues with the setup. We went on a run this sunday with some members of our local club. Pulled the wheels and checked the pads, rotor, calipers and shields. Pads are seating fine, braking was good. No panic stops or hard braking was done yet. I like to let brake pads and rotors to break in for a few miles before pushing if then. I am satisfied with the appearance and the only thing I will do with brake setup is locate some stainless lines for the rear. Again, I was going for appearance not so much performance.

melvingregory,

Did you do any further driving. How are they holding up so far?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 838 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Im getting really sick of you all setting the standards low. Seriously guys!!!

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Im just kidding of course, just thought Id add some sarcasm
now i gotta know what you're running up front!!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM
melvingregory
Racer

Originally Posted by Caesar68
melvingregory,

Did you do any further driving. How are they holding up so far?
No issues, the setup is fine. With the mild winter we are having I've gotten the car out a few times, roadtrip to Nashville the last of January for a indoor car show (Nashville Autofest). Lots of positive comments on the setup. And I have driven to work and such a few days.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Well I have collected all the parts for this conversion except for the longer brake lines which are on order at my local NAPA parts store. The calipers and brackets are at the powder coater being done in electron blue, sort of a ZR1 theme. After the rear is installed I will have to pull the fronts to have the calipers and brackets done in blue. Right now they are gloss black with the lettering in silver. Waiting to see if I will like the blue, my coupe is black. One last question: regarding the clearance issues because of the larger C6 Z51 rear rotor. Was the clearance a problem strictly because of the larger diameter of the rotor (13 vs 12.8) or was there also an issue with the thickness of the C6 Z51 rear rotor?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Front Caliper in Rear

Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM
melvingregory
Racer

Well I have collected all the parts for this conversion except for the longer brake lines which are on order at my local NAPA parts store. The calipers and brackets are at the powder coater being done in electron blue, sort of a ZR1 theme. After the rear is installed I will have to pull the fronts to have the calipers and brackets done in blue. Right now they are gloss black with the lettering in silver. Waiting to see if I will like the blue, my coupe is black. One last question: regarding the clearance issues because of the larger C6 Z51 rear rotor. Was the clearance a problem strictly because of the larger diameter of the rotor (13 vs 12.8) or was there also an issue with the thickness of the C6 Z51 rear rotor?
Hi, There wasn't any issue with the width/thickness of the rotors, just a minor rub on the bracket and calipers. Very slight, just had to file off a little bit on the calipers. If you have to do that, it would be on the underside out of sight. As I stated earlier in the post I wanted to make the adjustments on the brackets and calipers so that later on if I needed to replace the rotor and pads I could do it with off the shelf parts and not worry about having to mod the rotor.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Hi, There wasn't any issue with the width/thickness of the rotors, just a minor rub on the bracket and calipers. Very slight, just had to file off a little bit on the calipers. If you have to do that, it would be on the underside out of sight. As I stated earlier in the post I wanted to make the adjustments on the brackets and calipers so that later on if I needed to replace the rotor and pads I could do it with off the shelf parts and not worry about having to mod the rotor.
Thanks. Also got your PM. I will post pictures when complete.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
da1foxx
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear rotors

Thanks. Also got your PM. I will post pictures when complete.
you can also use 1994 mustang front calipers single piston , but larger , i have the brackets and you can use the large 2008 z06 rotors , on the rear , i had this setup on my 1999 vette for over a year before i changed all the brakes to 2008 z06 front and rear.. wheels are 18 front 19 rear. pics if you want

Quick Reply: C5 Front Caliper in Rear