C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump - Quick Disconnect - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:19 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
Without a shadow of a doubt it is definitely the tool. I know this because I had wrestled with it for 3 hours minimu
With no luck. I was able to get the 5/16 line of no problem but the 3/8 lines would not move. I bought every 3/8 tool at napa this morning, including a nice anodized piece. When I got home I tried the anodized one first...within 10 seconds tops I was able to remove both remaining lines.... They just popped right off. It's definitely the tool and NOT the technique.

From all my previous wrenching on one of the lines I damaged the metal clip on one of the lines. Where can I pick one of those up? Autozone and o'reilly don't have it.
Glad u got it done. Doubt if you'll be able to repair/replace just that clip. Contact Gene at gmpartshouse for a new one.

FWIW and for others reading this thread don't go searching for a magic tool for this. I've disconnected these lines with some really cheap azz disconnect tools several times.

It's very simple in concept just not so much so in execution; slide something into the fitting that will press in on the spring loaded retaining clips and wiggle the line so it'll release. It doesn't matter if the piece you slide into the fitting to depress the clips is made of plastic, steel or gold as long as it is sturdy enough to hold the clips in and is the right size.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Glad u got it done. Doubt if you'll be able to repair/replace just that clip. Contact Gene at gmpartshouse for a new one.

FWIW and for others reading this thread don't go searching for a magic tool for this. I've disconnected these lines with some really cheap azz disconnect tools several times.

It's very simple in concept just not so much so in execution; slide something into the fitting that will press in on the spring loaded retaining clips and wiggle the line so it'll release. It doesn't matter if the piece you slide into the fitting to depress the clips is made of plastic, steel or gold as long as it is sturdy enough to hold the clips in and is the right size.

I agree that its possible to disconnect these lines with cheap tools. I've done my fuel rail lines with cheap tools, but it took a lot of effort. However, with this tool, it was effortless. I slid the tool in and the connector just popped right off. I have a total of eight 3/8 quick disconnect tools. I've just thrown away 7 of them. It took me over $100 to find a tool that actually works, the rest are garbage and deserving of their new home.

The tool you want:

Evercraft 3/8" Fuel Line Disconnect Tool 776-9085

Don't waste your time with anything else.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump - Quick Disconnect - HELP