C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propeller Shaft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
enos44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Propeller Shaft Problem

While I was changing the couplers on my prop shaft, I noticed the input shaft of the prop shaft is pretty worn at the nose where it rides in the pilot bushing. I looked on the C5 parts book and it says there is no part number for the input shaft for the 97-99 MM6. My car is a 99 FRC. They do list part number 88894030 for the 2000 model and part number 88894028 for the 01-04.

I really don't see the need to buy the complete assembly just for the input shaft, but I've read that the other years input shafts are different because of the prop shaft change in 2000. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

How messed up is it? You may know this, but if not, the input shaft goes into a pilot bearing, not a bushing. If it is really messed up you might want to replace the pilot bearing too. If it just has light wear marks I would just reuse. One other option, have metal added by welding and then have it machined down to the proper dimensions.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
chevylad
Pro

There's guys out there selling the older style shaft to upgrade to the newer style.

If your timing was better you could have my old one is coming out to be replaced by one from the driveshaft shop, but it's not happening until after it starts to cool off around here.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
enos44
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric D
How messed up is it? You may know this, but if not, the input shaft goes into a pilot bearing, not a bushing. If it is really messed up you might want to replace the pilot bearing too. If it just has light wear marks I would just reuse. One other option, have metal added by welding and then have it machined down to the proper dimensions.
You're right, I meant bearing. It is pretty scarred up. I can take some pictures later today after work. I did replace the pilot bearing two years ago when I replaced my clutch so I think it should still be ok. I might see if the local machine shop can get it back to the right diameter. You wouldn't happen to know what that is by any chance? Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by enos44
You're right, I meant bearing. It is pretty scarred up. I can take some pictures later today after work. I did replace the pilot bearing two years ago when I replaced my clutch so I think it should still be ok. I might see if the local machine shop can get it back to the right diameter. You wouldn't happen to know what that is by any chance? Thanks
Yes I do. .5895 to .5900” for the shaft diameter.

Oh, I'd still check the bearing to make sure it rotates smoothly.

Last edited by Eric D; 08-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
enos44
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric D
Yes I do. .5895 to .5900” for the shaft diameter.

Oh, I'd still check the bearing to make sure it rotates smoothly.
Thanks a lot!

Get notified of new replies

To Propeller Shaft Problem

Quick Reply: Propeller Shaft Problem