C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Neatnic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default A/C Tensioner replacement

Ok, I all of a sudden started getting a loud chipping from the belt area. LS1 2004. 70K.
So I replaced the main serp belt with tensioner and idler pully. Piece of cake. Only problem, still have some chirp. Sounds like poss a/c belt.
--
I am going to buy and replace the a/c belt and tensioner tomorrow.
--
Suggestions on the easiest way to replace in my garage with no lift?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
TEXASCOUPE
Racer

Originally Posted by Neatnic
Ok, I all of a sudden started getting a loud chipping from the belt area. LS1 2004. 70K.
So I replaced the main serp belt with tensioner and idler pully. Piece of cake. Only problem, still have some chirp. Sounds like poss a/c belt.
--
--
I'm waiting for someone to respond to you're post. Have to do the same thing myself.
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (06-22-2020)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Neatnic
--
--
Wouldn't it be less expensive to troubleshoot..instead of replacing EVERYTHING?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Replaced both of mine, belts too turned out to be main idler

Theres just one bolt holding the tensioners and the idler. A little tight but got them from the top. I would look at idlers too. Cheaper at AZ or Advance but I had to put in a washer so it wouldnt bind. AZ idler was a slight bit thicker at the bearing.

Last edited by bighank; 08-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Wouldn't it be less expensive to troubleshoot..instead of replacing EVERYTHING?
no because that makes sense. IF you were to just simply remove the ac belt you might find where the problem is located.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Search is your friend

I dont know how many times Ive posted the procedure for isolating the belt system causing the chirp, squeak, squeal. The most unprofessional and most waste of money way to fix a problem is to just start replacing things. A simple and easy way to find out which belt system is causing issue is to just remove the belt...the outer belt , the drive belt.. if the noise goes away then its a problem within the belt system. In your case removing the drive belt would not have fixed your AC belt system noise and you would not have had to replace anything in the drive belt system.. AS far as the ac belt system. Once the drive belt is removed and the noise is still there, remove the ac belt and you noise goes away proving the problem is in the AC belt system.. You can replace Both tensioner pulley and idler pulley on the ac belt system, no need to replace the tensioner part, just the pulley on the tensioner... and the idler pulley... both pulleys are the same part number and cost about 18 dollars each. A single bolt holds them in place.
MusicCityMan243 (09-15-2021)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Neatnic
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

First, I did not just start replacing parts. I main drive belt was origl and I wanted it replaced after 70K. The tens pulley was making some noise, but there is still about 30% coming from the a/c. I have already started the car with the belts rmoved and the noise is gone.
--
That is why I decided to replace the a/c belt and tens as well. Plus just good pre maint.
--
I was just looking for any tips on the easiest was to replace.
--
No worries, I will jack the baby up for figure it out!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Longtime no see

its an easy swap...pull the serpentine belt and move the tensioner on the AC just like the serpentine tensioner...swap pulleys and reinstall

Last edited by pewter99; 08-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I dont know how many times Ive posted the procedure for isolating the belt system causing the chirp, squeak, squeal. The most unprofessional and most waste of money way to fix a problem is to just start replacing things. A simple and easy way to find out which belt system is causing issue is to just remove the belt...the outer belt , the drive belt.. if the noise goes away then its a problem within the belt system. In your case removing the drive belt would not have fixed your AC belt system noise and you would not have had to replace anything in the drive belt system.. AS far as the ac belt system. Once the drive belt is removed and the noise is still there, remove the ac belt and you noise goes away proving the problem is in the AC belt system.. You can replace Both tensioner pulley and idler pulley on the ac belt system, no need to replace the tensioner part, just the pulley on the tensioner... and the idler pulley... both pulleys are the same part number and cost about 18 dollars each. A single bolt holds them in place.
Could you post the pulley part numbers? I'm about to replace both my belts, and if I need to, replace the tensioner and idler pulleys. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Really easy. It swaps out easy from the top. The area is a little tight though.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 PM
doctorscholz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sympathize with the OP, and thanks to Evil-Twin for his post.

I had squeaks in BOTH the main, and A/C, that came and went at different times. I'm certain, thanks to the remove-belt method... Only the A/C is left to fix...

Now- if anyone has a good procedure for testing what actual part of the system (idler, belt, etc.) is causing the issue, this I would like to hear!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM
dezcapt51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my y2k coupe I removed the ac belt and the chirp disappeared. Got a new pulley and the chirp went away but returned within weeks. Removed the entire tensioner and dicsovered the bolt in the housing was wallowed out. I changed the entire tensioner and now it's quiet. It is a bitch to get to but you can access it from the top. I have fat paws which made it harder just get those tranny lines out of your way. I tied them back with a bungee chord. Good luck
Old 10-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Boodieman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Idler Pulley Part Numbers

Originally Posted by Bills03Coupe
Could you post the pulley part numbers? I'm about to replace both my belts, and if I need to, replace the tensioner and idler pulleys. Thanks!
For the A/C idler and tensioner pulleys (both the same part), the part number at Advanced Auto is 89135 (Dayco I believe), $16.99.

For AutoZone, p/n is 231135 (Duralast).
The following 2 users liked this post by Boodieman:
LeoLivinLife (06-22-2020), MusicCityMan243 (09-15-2021)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The tensioner and idler are fairly easy to reach from the top. Just remove the main belt first and pull them off.

Mine kept squeeking something terrible after replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys. It didn't stop until I loosened the AC compressor and shifted it around a bit on the bolts. Not sure how much it moved but it's been quiet since and that is with the same old belt and about 10k miles.

It's not as likely but it could also be the bearing in the AC clutch.

Peter
C3w4sp (10-27-2015)
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
Really easy. It swaps out easy from the top. The area is a little tight though.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
sjbrothers
Instructor

My 2 cents. I had the same problem with squeak and replaced both idler pulleys. I had 85K miles at the time and I am not the original owner. Squeak remained. I bought some belt dressing spray and found that it helped eliminate the noise for a while. I read where the gator back belts would help so I replaced my belts. It turns out they were from carquest so they had been replaced earlier. Anyway that fixed the squeak.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 525 Likes on 336 Posts

Maybe I have big hands. I had to remove both belts from the top and then R&R the A/C tensioner from underneath with the car on jackstands. No problem using that strategy.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Tensioner replacement

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Twisted99
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I tried this method on my 99 (65k) took off the outer belt, started the car, no squeak. Put it back on, no squeak. A week later, squeak is back.
After reading some other threads about this problem, I think I,m going to chane the belts and see what happens, with 65k and 13 years on them it's not a waste of money
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
palladinogt
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks to Evil Twin, and everyone else who posted here. This thread, and ET's other writeups helped me fix a screeching AC tensioner pulley in my 2000 coupe that was driving me (and my neighbors) crazy.

Thanks all!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
CARMINEVETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same squeek issues you are all discussing. I was quite sure it was the new serpentine belt I replaced (Gates). When I sprayed the belt with wd 40 the squeek disappeared for a short period of time, but returned. I too heard about the Gatorback solution, so I bought one and the squeek is gone. I don't know how long it will last, but others who have replaced their belts with Gatorback have had reasonable success. You might to considered changing the belt to Gatorback if all else fails.

Quick Reply: A/C Tensioner replacement