C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Stalk Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Exocet 98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiper Stalk Problem

Please help, I started my 2002 Z and the window wipers and mist came on and I could not get it to stop. It would be on the stop position but remains on low speed wipe with the misting on, while frantically trying to stop the wipers, the end cap came off the wiper stalk along with a small spring. The stalk cap fell into the area under the plastic cover covering the driver right side seat rail. How do I remove the plastic cover and once I have retrieved the stalk cap, how do I set it back in place ? The wiper stalk end cap could have came off during an extensive cleaning and detailing of the interior and may not have came off while I was trying to turn off the wipers. I looked at the end off the wiper stalk and noticed that the end cap was missing, looked down where it could have fell and saw the spring and the cap under the seat rail cover, my fingers pushed it further under the seat rail plastic cover. SOS!!
Thanks !!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, just fixed this on my car. You will need a new spring. I went through a bunch a guy I work with had saved from various electrical relays. A ball point pen spring may work, the ones I tried were too large in diameter. You only need one spring. It needs to be about twice the diameter of the ones in there now and the same length.
Put the new spring in, carefully put the end button back in. It should stay.
Good luck!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM
bjs100
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Love this forum

Love this forum this just happened to me 5 minutes ago on my new to me 02. First place I look is here and there is the solution ! I hadn't noticed the spring that had fallen out.

Last edited by bjs100; 07-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Stalk Problem

Quick Reply: Wiper Stalk Problem