C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine coolant airlock problem solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine coolant airlock problem solution

I have just finished rreplaceing my water pump and some other stuff, the job went well. I was expecting problems getting the engine coolant filled due a airlock situation other members are having. My buddy came by with this tool, and it will work on any vehical, he said its a must have for foreign cars. It worked perfect on the vette. I saw one on amazon.com for $102, mine is on order. It might help some of you out also.

http://www.johnsonmfg.com/temp/J360CS.htm

It draws a vacuum on the cooling system and pull the coolant even into the heater core. I hope this helps sombody else I'm sold on it.
Steve
Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Per the Shop Manual, the way to purge air from a C5 is to rev engine to 3,000 rpms (and back to idle) until temp comes up to 200 F. Then fill and repeat several times.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Per the Shop Manual, the way to purge air from a C5 is to rev engine to 3,000 rpms (and back to idle) until temp comes up to 200 F. Then fill and repeat several times.
I can't help what the shop manual says, this thing filled my system in about 30 seconds. Once its full you can rev all you want, no more coolant needs to be added, plus no messy coolant spilled all over the engine compartment. This tool probably was not even available when that shop manual was dreamed up who knows.
You might want to read some of the over heating post lately and see if the shop manual procedure actually works.
I "know" this tool works I saw it. I'm just trying to pass along information that helped me, do with it what you will.

Last edited by bracketshark; 06-18-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine coolant airlock problem solution

Quick Reply: Engine coolant airlock problem solution