C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faint consistant noise coming back drivers side area.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faint consistant noise coming back drivers side area.

*UPDATE* on post #20

I have been driving my vette most of the day. about an hour ago I started hearing this faint consistant noise. It's only happening when the car is running. Driving or full stop I hear the same faint sound. I stopped the vette and walked around it. Put my ear on the body to find where is it coming from. It seems the loudest was when I had my ear around the gas cap and the inner door by the back of the driver seat.

IN the video I place my camera in the spots where I heard it the loudest. You should be able to make out a faint consistant sound.

The first place I put my camera was next to the door latch with the door open. Then around the gas cap area.

No DTC codes either

Last edited by Razzputon; 06-02-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:21 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Are you talking about the area where the fuel pump is located? (That's a hint)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Are you talking about the area where the fuel pump is located? (That's a hint)
haha yeah. I have been reading many posts about the fuel pump. Sounds like thats the problem. I posted the sound bite to make sure thats the fuel pump I'm hearing.

Also, Some posts say to have to replaced. Some say that thats the way some pumps are to keep on movin on. My wife and I are supposed to go on a trip tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should still take the vette or garage it and take the 4 Runner *shiver*

Last edited by Razzputon; 05-27-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

It's common, a new fuel pump would probably do the same. Now that you've heard it, you're listening for it.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Razzputon
Pro

It's common, a new fuel pump would probably do the same. Now that you've heard it, you're listening for it.
Well that kinsa why I'm worried. I have had my vette for about 4 months now? I have been like a new parent with this car. Listening to every little noise and doing searches on anything and everything that I think may be an issue. I know for sure I have not heard this sound until today. 99% of the time I drive my vette I have no music on at all. I really like listening to the motor when I drive it. So I'm sure I would have heard it before today.

IF the pump is going bad is it something that could crap out on me at any point? tomorrow or next month? Is it something that will really screw up my vette if I dont get it replace and let it completely fail?

I guess what I'm wondering is if it would be to risky to take it on a 7 hours drive to my wifes parents tomorrow. Silly I know but the wife and I really love taking it out on weekends.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Razzputon
Well that kinsa why I'm worried. I have had my vette for about 4 months now? I have been like a new parent with this car. Listening to every little noise and doing searches on anything and everything that I think may be an issue. I know for sure I have not heard this sound until today. 99% of the time I drive my vette I have no music on at all. I really like listening to the motor when I drive it. So I'm sure I would have heard it before today.

IF the pump is going bad is it something that could crap out on me at any point? tomorrow or next month? Is it something that will really screw up my vette if I dont get it replace and let it completely fail?

I guess what I'm wondering is if it would be to risky to take it on a 7 hours drive to my wifes parents tomorrow. Silly I know but the wife and I really love taking it out on weekends.
Anyone else had any experience with this and can advise? I've never had a pump problem and don't know anyone who has.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:53 AM
rick4grafx
Instructor

I hear mine sometimes, but never like that sound bite, then again, I will bet that you are holding the camera practically on the panel of the car. For whatever reason, sometimes the sound is a little more audible than most of the time, after me being hyper paranoid, I stopped, took a breath and figured out that it is probably me being a worry wort! Lol.

I also am pretty new to this Corvette, bought it in November of last year, and now that I am finally done with washing it twice a day, never listening to the radio, practically wearing out the button on the DIC, checking everything that you can check, and then checking it again, I am close, (not quite there yet), to just enjoying the car, and taking the attitude that "If I keep willing things to go wrong with the car, then they probably will!"

Back to the fuel pump, I think the reason you can here it more sometimes has to do with the fuel level, and perhaps with more air in the tank(s), it might become more audible.

Just a guess, but, if I were you, I would pay AAA the $110.00 a year, then they will tow you up to 100 miles for free.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by rick4grafx
I also am pretty new to this Corvette, bought it in November of last year, and now that I am finally done with washing it twice a day, never listening to the radio, practically wearing out the button on the DIC, checking everything that you can check, and then checking it again, I am close, (not quite there yet), to just enjoying the car, and taking the attitude that "If I keep willing things to go wrong with the car, then they probably will!"
Damn. Thats pretty much me in a nutshell. I just havent had the experience and time enough with my vette to know what to be alarmed about and what not to be worried about.

So I relaxed and took the car for our trip today. I still heard the noise when I got in the car. I stopped at a Shell at 1/2 a tank and filled it up. The sound was gone when I reached our destination. I was at 1/2 tank again. We stayed there for 5-6 hours. When I got back in the car the noise was back. I filled up again and the noise is gone. I didn;t fill it up this timie. I'm going to drive it around tomorrow to see if its back and if it goes away when the car warms up.

Yeah I know I'm still talking about it. At this point I'm just noting the issue and looking into replacing the fuel pump. The noise is annoying as hell. When your standing next to the car you can clearly hear it.

Last edited by Razzputon; 05-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 AM
rick4grafx
Instructor

Default Fuel Pump Sound

I have never heard mine when standing next to the car, but then again, I did put a Corsa exhaust on within the first 2 weeks of owning the car, maybe that has something to do with it. You know these C5's are notorious for fuel sending unit problems, venturi pump on the right tank, etc. Be aware that it is no cheap fix to replace the fuel pump, and then, you could still have problems later with the right side tank venturi pump and sending unit. Apparently it is so common that most C5 owners have experienced it. Before you do anything, run a full 20 oz., bottle (I think), enough to treat 20 gallons of Techron fuel treatment through your system, could be about a $10 fix versus several hundred!

Oh, by the way, it's my understanding that if you were having a fuel pump failure, that you would for sure see a code or two from your DIC, my right side sensor has been acting up, and it throws a code every time. As a matter of fact, I just learned the other day, that if I pull the code and then clear it or reset it, my fuel gauge comes back!

Hope it works out!

Last edited by rick4grafx; 05-29-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: More to add
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Turn the radio on and enjoy the car!

Last edited by happiedazs; 05-29-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by rick4grafx
Before you do anything, run a full 20 oz., bottle (I think), enough to treat 20 gallons of Techron fuel treatment through your system, could be about a $10 fix versus several hundred!
I'm going to do that today. I was actually going to put in a bottle of SeaFoam. I have heard good things about it.

Originally Posted by happiedazs
Turn the radio on and enjoy the car!

Yessir! Thats what I did! I even customized my Radio bezel so I could hide my Satilite Reciever in the ashtray. I also made a toggle switch, from info on these forums, for my power antenna. It's installed where the ashtray lighter used to be.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been hearing the fuel pump on my '98 for 2-1/2 years-I'd start to worry if I couldn't hear it!
If the noise you hear is in fact the fuel pump,you may hear a slight variation in the sound when you step on the brake,or when you're sitting at a stoplight with the turn signal on.
I think the pumps on the earlier c5's were just plain noisy compared to the later models,so the noise you hear may be pretty faint compared to what I'm used to hearing on mine.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by Carcass
I've been hearing the fuel pump on my '98 for 2-1/2 years-I'd start to worry if I couldn't hear it!
If the noise you hear is in fact the fuel pump,you may hear a slight variation in the sound when you step on the brake,or when you're sitting at a stoplight with the turn signal on.
Ya know I read that in some other posts. No Variation at all when braking or using the blinkers.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
steele11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear changes in noise if i push the window up button when the window is up(if that makes sense). At first i thought it was my window motor but it's not. Noise only changes when power is going to another unit, ie turns signals etc... My battery reads what i think is low, below 13, maybe a new battery could make the noise better. Mine is ear piercing at times and i have a borla straight pipe. Oh and I have a '98 vert with 60k.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Well.... I was totally prepared to live with the noise. I got in my car today. Turned the ignition to the "on" position. Now the noise is loud as hell. A screeching sound coming from behind the drivers side for 2 seconds. I assume thats the fuel filter being primed. Once the car has started the hum is a little bit louder now but not a screech. I left my car idleing while I worked on my wheels. My wife came outside and asked immediately what the high pitched sound was.....

At this point I dont care of its going bad or not. I'm going to look at replacing the fuel pump. The noise is annoying beyond words. I like listening to my motor and it's totally trashed that aspect of my drive experience.

Anyone know if I should buy another OEM pump or are there better aftermarket pumps?

Also, just throwing this out there. Anyone up for a DIY fuel replacment? I'll make the drive and buy the parts and probably toss some money out there as well. I would like to be a part of replacing the fuel pump if possible. Maybe save a little $$ in the process.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

It shouldn't be screeching. My earlier response was to your description of a "faint consistant noise". I'd replace it, too.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Razzputon
Pro

It shouldn't be screeching. My earlier response was to your description of a "faint consistant noise". I'd replace it, too.
Agreed. Earlier, thats all it was doing. Seems to be progressively getting worse.

Do you know if there are any aftermarket fuel pump that are considered really good or should I just go with OEM? I would hate to get another OEM and possibly have to deal with the pump noise.

Get notified of new replies

To faint consistant noise coming back drivers side area.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Hopefully someone with personal experience with this will help here. I personally use OEM parts, but I like as stock as possible. I don't want to introduce any new issues with aftermarket parts. Just my preference.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea --- if it's now making that much noise, I'd replace it. But unless you have someone who really knows what they are doing with regard to replacing the pump, I'd just bring it to the dealer and put in an OEM pump --- assuming it really is the pump. Let the dealer diagnose the problem --- just in case it is really something else.
Good Luck
Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Razzputon
Pro

At this point I'm just loggin this thread with updates on my fuel pump issue for reference.

From what I have gathered the last few days is:

When I let the car sit over night it has a screeching sound when I turn the ignition to the 'on' position. Once I start the car it may or may not have the faint hum sound.

I never hear the sound, when started, when the tank is 2/3 to full.

When the tank is 2/3 or lower I may or may not hear the faint hum.

If I do hear the faint hum it goes away after about an hour of driving the car.

I have not had any issues with the fuel gauge.

The following sounds bit is when the car has sat over night and the ignition is turned to the 'on' position.

Quick Reply: faint consistant noise coming back drivers side area.