C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Oil pressure low and fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:19 PM
bkhitchens
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Oil pressure low and fluctuating

I have a 98 with a little over 80k. I have had it around 9 months. When I bought it the oil pressure gauge was pegged. I finally got around to replacing the sensor today. The car ran fine the whole time, and still does.

After replacing the sensor the gauge is giving a lot of different readings. It mainly shows very low pressure at idle, sometimes around zero and the warning shows. At cruising speed it goes up a little to around 15-20. While cruising it went up to over 60 and neared 80, it then went back down to around 40 and I thought it was working fine. After sitting a while I started it back up and it was showing low and staying right around the 0-20 level depending on rpm, which were around 1000. At one light the gauge went up to around 40 for a minute and then back down to the low readings.

I bought the sender on ebay. I think it is a no-name and has the aluminum body. I am thinking it is defective as the car runs great and always has. Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

that is odd. You may have a defective sensor. I'd get the one that has the brass colored bottom. It sure sounds strange that it is all over the place like that
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM
bkhitchens
4th Gear

Default Conclusion

I replaced the "OEM" sensor that I purchased on Ebay with the one that NAPA sells. My gauge reads around 50psi on startup and over 40 the rest of the time. It definitely was the sensor. Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

yeah mine reads upper 60's on cold startup sometimes low 70's but that's because i have a ported and shimmed oil pump

Get notified of new replies

To 98 Oil pressure low and fluctuating

Quick Reply: 98 Oil pressure low and fluctuating