C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Transmission leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:30 AM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Transmission leaks

I have a low mileage 98 convertible 6 speed. I bought a lift earlier this year. When I lifted my vette and inspected the bottom I have fluid leaks at the front and rear transmission housing. The leaks are gasket not seal leaks. any ideas? I have owned the car since 99 it has never been abused in any way. On average I drive it less than 1500 miles a year.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Wipe down the area and monitor. Check the fluid level in the trans and rearend. Sounds like s seep more than a leak.

Post a picture if you can.

BC
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar
I have a low mileage 98 convertible 6 speed. I bought a lift earlier this year. When I lifted my vette and inspected the bottom I have fluid leaks at the front and rear transmission housing. The leaks are gasket not seal leaks. any ideas? I have owned the car since 99 it has never been abused in any way. On average I drive it less than 1500 miles a year.
The 98 doesn't use gaskets on the transmission. I would suspect the front input shaft seal if the car hasn't been driven much. The seal will get hard and could be the source but as Bill has mentioned, clean the area and check to see if it's the front or rear of the trans.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Evidentially Junior members cant attach photos. So here is a link to the photos.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/...ission%20leak/
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

From your photos, yep, looks like a tranny front seal leak. Is it a big leak or just a MINOR seep???

If it were me, I would check the tranny fluid level, refill if required. Clean and monitor. See what comes back. A minor leak will take years to effect the level enough to worry about!

If you just get a oiley spot on the bottom of the tranny / torque tube bell, I would worry about it.

IF, it makes a mess on the flor and it bothers you that much, a seal change would be necessary.

BC
Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
From your photos, yep, looks like a tranny front seal leak. Is it a big leak or just a MINOR seep???

If it were me, I would check the tranny fluid level, refill if required. Clean and monitor. See what comes back. A minor leak will take years to effect the level enough to worry about!

If you just get a oiley spot on the bottom of the tranny / torque tube bell, I would worry about it.

IF, it makes a mess on the flor and it bothers you that much, a seal change would be necessary.

BC
Is there any special tools that I need to pull the transmission and replace the front and rear seal?
As for the leak it is a couple drops a week, It would probable take 3 or fours years to lose a pint.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a slow seep ( rather than a leak leaving a puddle on the garage floor) - just watch and don't burn any calories worrying about.

These cars will seep at the transmission and at the rear end. In my case, more noticeably when I first got the car over 3 years ago. Driving the car is good for it's health.

You can spend a lot of money fixing these seeps only to have them return.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Transmission leaks

Quick Reply: Rear Transmission leaks