C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 AM
jdbush23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washer fluid leaking

Everytime i really get on the gas and go thru the gears WOT, i am getting windshield washer fluid all over the wiper vally, down the side of the rt side of the car, on the windshield. If i just drive normal nothing. Is the a check valve in the tank that may be bad. Any advise would be great, tired of blue water all over my car everytime i drive.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Jim in Mich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's coming out the lid. You can't fill it to the top without it splashing out under acceleration. Should stop after enough has spilled out or you can suck out the extra.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

It comes out the washer outlets when you accelerate suddenly. I've had three C5's and they all did it. If you search enough, you can find a part number of a check valve made by Ford that will fit in the line from the washer reservoir. I'm not sure how that lets your washers continue to work, but I read about it on the forum a couple of years ago. I think the simplest fix would be to only keep a small amount of washer fluid in the tank.

Addition: I searched "washer fluid leak" on the C5 General forum and found hundreds of threads about this. Here's the word from GM

Windshield Washer Nozzle Leaks on Windshield - appearance bleed check clearance damage fluid leak valve wet water window #PI00990 - (Apr 14, 2003)
Windshield Washer Nozzle Leaks On Windshield - appearance bleed check clearance damage fluid leak wet water valve window

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:
Windshield washer fluid drips onto windshield when accelerating or at highway speeds.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Install check valve PN 22102237 in the washer fluid hose before the tee to both nozzles with the arrow on the valve pointing in the direction of fluid flow. Verify operation of pump.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 05-07-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 AM
jdbush23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, i am going to find a check valve and hope that works.

Get notified of new replies

To Washer fluid leaking

Quick Reply: Washer fluid leaking