C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 11:54 PM
VetteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!!

Can someone please provide a brief description of the anti-theft technology incorporated in the keys of C5 vettes? Also, is there anyone that has info regarding how these vettes are being stolen? I'm working on some anti-theft ideas and it seems the police department does not keep these records.

Thanks, Ross
Old 04-19-2002, 12:45 AM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (VetteLT4)

There's loads of articles about this subject on the web and it's not actually that tricky anyway. This should get your started and your own searches should provide the rest.
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...antitheft.html
Old 04-19-2002, 01:03 AM
VetteLT4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (chocoholic)

"Similar to PASS-key is the PASSlock theft-deterrent system. With PASSlock, when you turn the ignition lock, a sensor in the lock sends a resistance code to the on-board computer. If the code isn't correct, the computer shuts off the fuel to the vehicle's engine. PASSlock doesn't require a coded resistor pellet in the key."

This doesn't make any sense to me. It says it sends a resistance code....but there is no resister in the key. Is this an RFID tag system.....and they are using the term resister loosely?
Old 04-19-2002, 01:18 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Similar to PASS-key is the PASSlock theft-deterrent system. With PASSlock, when you turn the ignition lock, a sensor in the lock sends a resistance code to the on-board computer. If the code isn't correct, the computer shuts off the fuel to the vehicle's engine. PASSlock doesn't require a coded resistor pellet in the key."

This doesn't make any sense to me. It says it sends a resistance code....but there is no resister in the key. Is this an RFID tag system.....and they are using the term resister loosely?
Passlock protects agains hot wiring. You must have a correctly cut key to sucessfully start the car.

Pass-key requires the correct resistence pellet in addition to the correctly cut key, to give extra protection.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:26 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (wwashing)

I tell you from my experience. When I bought my Vette they made an extra key for me. Well just last weekend I grabbed the extra key, because I left my others keys in the Vette while I was washing it :crazy: and I accidentally locked it.

Well since I had the extra key I put it in the ignition and turned the key. The car would not start, everything powered on, but when I turned the ignition everything dimmed on the lights like the battery was drained.

So I grabbed my key that I always used, it would not start at all. I was like :mad :cuss . I figured this was the anti-theft device working on the car. I left the car alone for 5 minutes came back and the car started with my original key, not the copied key.

I believe the dealer made a bad key for me and didn't program it to my computer on the car. It is so smart the computer that it even won't let you start the car with the original key after you stick a bad chipped key. Try to figure that out, maybe that can lead to some discovery for you.

Cheers!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 02:19 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

If a professional car thief wants your car, there is NOTHING you can do about it. The best thing you can do is to use a visible deterent, like a good quality "Club"(I know they can defeat it) AND get a GPS type tracking system. They hide a small GPS transmitter in your car and then when you report it stolen, they activate it and know exactly where it is. They call the police and hopefully, without a pursuit/crash, they recover it. Check out http://www.trackmenow.com
Old 04-19-2002, 03:14 PM
1990bevile
Racer

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (Powerhungry)

another simple idea is just to wire an additional switch (with copper low resistance wire) in and hide the location of the switch. I think lojack is going to gps also, but not sure.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:54 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Nah, the corvette "security system" is all just smoke and mirrors.

First of all, there are only 12 types of pellets. Also any key making shop has these in stock. Third you can measure the resistance of the pellet to get its type.

All this results in the fact that a prof. thieft will steal your car in under 2 minutes flat.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:36 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (PeterK)

I thought I read somwhere on this forum of a member's vette stolen from a theft ring operating with a service guy from a dealership cutting keys from the VIN.

A simple way to protect your vette is to block the VIN from being shown by slipping a piece of paper over it to cover it up. Another way is to install a kill switch like another has already mentioned.

But, if you are trying to save your vette from a professional thieve, good luck.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If a professional car thief wants your car, there is NOTHING you can do about it. The best thing you can do is to use a visible deterent, like a good quality "Club"(I know they can defeat it) AND get a GPS type tracking system. They hide a small GPS transmitter in your car and then when you report it stolen, they activate it and know exactly where it is. They call the police and hopefully, without a pursuit/crash, they recover it. Check out http://www.trackmenow.com
Do most professional thieves graduate from MIT? What makes everyone think that these "thieves" are that much smarter than the average electrical engineer. Newsflash: The average thief is a not a Mensa member, I can guarantee you that. Be smart about your alarm system and you will NOT have any problems.

BTW, use a car cover - outta sight, outta mind!
Old 04-19-2002, 05:42 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (Dave68)

Do most professional thieves graduate from MIT? What makes everyone think that these "thieves" are that much smarter than the average electrical engineer. Newsflash: The average thief is a not a Mensa member, I can guarantee you that. Be smart about your alarm system and you will NOT have any problems.
I guess I should have said "experienced" car thief. They may not be very smart, but they are good and fast. FWIW, I'm a cop in So Cal and have seen all types. :cheers:
Old 04-19-2002, 08:03 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Where would a kill switch be wired in? What type switch and where did you put it? Anyone use the LoJack system?
Old 04-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (HIGHRPM)

I just park all my cars in other states. That seems to handle it. Out of sight, out of mind. Parking cars inside the NCM is a good plan if you want people to keep an eye on it. Short of that, LoJack is my response of choice.

Snowman
Old 04-19-2002, 08:56 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (Snowman)

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a kill switch?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:26 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

No but they make a very good living stealing cars and thus tend to be smart, and well educated in these areas.

Also, a truck with AAA sign towing a vette will not cause anyone to call police.

In all honestly, if somebody wants to steal my car - more power to them - just make sure that me or my insurace company doesn't see it ever again.

BTW, use a car cover - outta sight, outta mind!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I guess I should have said "experienced" car thief. They may not be very smart, but they are good and fast. FWIW, I'm a cop in So Cal and have seen all types. :cheers:
It's too bad your "beat" isn't further up north - I could use a "sympathetic" police officer every now and then!

I do know some electrical engineers who could make a system that would be VERY difficult to crack. One guy is an MIT graduate. Many years ago, I was given a tour of an auto alarm company by none other than Darrell Issa, now congressman Issa, who himself is an electrical engineer. I was very impressed not only by his business knowlegde, but also of his alarm configurations. At the time, I had one of his old Steal Stoppers in my 68. It required both a 4-digit code and the key to the car to energize the coil. I brought my 68 vert to Darrell's company to see if someone there could troubleshoot the alarm (It was 6 years old and long past the warranty period). After one of the salesguys was having trouble finding the faulty component, Darrell came out, asked what the symptoms were and within 30 seconds, found the problem - a loose pin in the alarm black box.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:39 AM
VetteLT4
Le Mans Master

All you guys that are talking about the resister pellets in the keys.....I thought those went out with the C4s....I thought the C5s had RFID tags?

Get notified of new replies

To STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!!

Old 04-21-2002, 05:49 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We've got lots of answers to the "technology" part of the original question, but no one has commented on how C5's are actually being stolen. The two or three stories I have heard where the owner knew what happened, involved a flatbed. Does anyone know the actual statistics?
Also, does anyone have statistics on what PERCENTAGE of different cars are being stolen. The newspapers continually shout about the Toyota Camry being stolen frequently- DUHHH!!!! . That's because there's a zillion of them out there.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

They still resister, there are actually 14 values, each wrong try shuts te computer off for 4 minutes. The PasskeyII is actually a magnet in the ignitin lock plug, the part that turns, there is a magnetic switch or sensor on the lock housing that detects it and it's motion when starting the car. If the plug is removed the computer "sees" it and shuts down for about 15 minutes I think (forgot). The newest system not used yet is the Transponder that is in the key head, Buick uses it on Park Aves and a few others use it, the key usually has PK3 on it near the head. It hs a computer code on it that reflects or is energizedwhen the ignition is powered, the computer looks for the correct reflected code to start. Some states now require proof of ownership a the parts counter for keys from dealer by vin. Try talking to a decent well established alarm installer for some solid ideas.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:15 PM
RadarBlue
Instructor

Default Re: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!! (Gearhead Jim)

I think you've guys have hit on the two methods to steal a vette. A flatbed, IMHO the most likey method, or having a key. In order to drive one off you have to defeat the column lock, the starter cutoff, and the fuel cutoff. All of which are controlled by the PCM and/or the BCM.

The idea of grabing some wires from under the dash or hood and "hot wiring" it is just Hollywood. I was looking at wire diagrams of 1993 Olds 98, which is almost ancient technology compared to the Corvette. To hot wire it requires getting at the Pass-Key Module which is buried up in the dash, and grounding several pins to enable fuel and starter systems. Still have to get past the column lock (which admittedly is nothing). I'd like to see somebody steal this is 60 seconds. Please. :)

Also, there are 15 different pellets (for the Corvette as well). As fas as I know, there is no published list corellating the resistence value to the pellet number. If the dealer doesn't know the pellet number, he has to try all 15 values to see which one the BCM will accept. If he has a key, he has a tool/meter that just gives him a number, 1-15.

I think the only time the VIN helps in getting a key made, is when you go to the original delivering dealer because the mechanical cut codes and resistor codes are on the original invoice. But this is a good argument for removing dealer emblems.

Bottom line, I think Chevy's anti-theft system is pretty good. I doubt that any add-on security system is going to be a significant improvement, and after all, this what insurance is for.

John

Quick Reply: STOLEN CORVETTES??? NEED HELP!!!