C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RSchleder
Darryl- unless I misunderstand how the bi-pass works, it actually does as the name implies--bi-passes the hazard switch. So, even if you have a new hazard switch, it's actually the bi-pass cable install that's controlling your turn signals, not the hazard switch. Regards, Ron
Well Ron, not to beat this subject too much but after I installed the bypass first, the turn signals worked as before, sometimes. It did this for two weeks until I bought the hazard switch. After I installed the hazard switch, I didn't have any more issues, that's all I know.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darryl, I am really confused with your post directly above. The 20 minutes I stated was to takeout 4-5 screws, remove the bottom panel below the dash, install the bi-pass cable and button it back up----not install the hazard switch. Your experience is exactly why I chose not to replace the hazard switch, along with my concern about the hazard switch failing again in a few years. You have made my point perfectly on why the Bi-pass cable makes SENSE!!! Thank you
Hi Ron - well it's been a couple of days now & with your temporary cure the signals have worked perfect except for that one time - I wrote Jonathon - he's out of the Bi-Pass but has them on order - He ask me to check back with him in a week - thanks again - Tom
Old 04-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Jeff Isom
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal intermittant failure - no hazard switch

Brand new to this forum. I just got my car and I'm experiencing what sounds like the same intermittant turn signal problems described in this thread. The wrinkle is, I don't even have a hazard switch. It appears to have been removed, so I assume the by-pass was already accomplished previously - since they do work sometimes. Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, your very welcome, glad to be some help. It wouldn't hurt to "exercise" the hazard switch a couple of times a week by pushing it 10-15 times until you get your bi-pass installed. Good luck, Ron

Jeff- so you actually have a hole in the center of the dash where the hazard switch used to be?

Last edited by RSchleder; 04-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Jeff Isom
5th Gear

Correct. Just a hole in the dash where the Hazard button should be.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, I'd suggest you try to find a set of install instructions for the bi-pass cable and remove the lower panel below the steering wheel. Check to see if you have the bi-pass cable installed or has something else been "jury rigged" into your car. Not sure what you should expect if the connections to the original OEM hazard switch have been totally removed. After you check to find out what is actually wired into your turn signal system, pull your codes and give Bill Curry a PM. He's basically a electrical guru ( although not the only one here) for C5's and is a terrific source of help and information.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Jeff Isom
5th Gear

Sounds like a good plan. Any idea where I can get the bi-pass instructions without buying the kit? Also, are there instructions somewhere in the tech section that will walk me through "pulling the codes?" Last thing - since it appears I'm going to need them - any suggestions on obtaining some good service manuals? I checked on-line and they range from like $15 for DVDs to $150 for the books. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
seoulbrooks
Instructor

Try this DIY if you can not get the by-pass. Works great.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569256474-post64.html
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

The turn signal bypass has instructions in the package.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Jeff Isom
5th Gear

Thanks for the help, everyone. Much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulbrooks
Try this DIY if you can not get the by-pass. Works great.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569256474-post64.html
This is the fix i used on our '02. Works perfect.

Bob
Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Tom--excellent, glad it's working or you. If you decide to install the bi-pass cable, you need to remove the lower panel, right below the steering wheel to get at the wiring ( 4 or 5 screws). No biggie and IMHO, much, much easier than replacing the hazard switch.

PS- the console does not need to come out, only the 1 panel mentioned above.
Ron - the quick fix is still working perfect - no issues - i might hold off on the bi-pass?
Thanks again

tom
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
GiggityGiggity
Racer

Tom, all problems gone? I have the same issue with my C5, just started last week, I think the bi pass is the way to go for ease and time. Worth a couple bux extra imo. To be clear, I'd like to try this fix on my C5 also, is this the part we are discussing, the by pass cable? http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Well Ron, not to beat this subject too much but after I installed the bypass first, the turn signals worked as before, sometimes. It did this for two weeks until I bought the hazard switch. After I installed the hazard switch, I didn't have any more issues, that's all I know.
Well then the bypass was either broken or not installed correctly.

Peter
Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Well then the bypass was either broken or not installed correctly.

Peter
Well no to both. Seeing that you don't know what your talking about. And unless you were sitting on my lap ,you probably don't.

Quick Reply: Turn signal help