C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant Air Intake? Anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
leet13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Volant Air Intake? Anyone have one?

http://marylandspeed.com/volant-cold...7c-p-1227.html

I like the idea that is has the air bridge attached and I guess all I would need to do is get a silicone coupler for it to get rid of the rubber accordion looking thing that is there now.

Is the Volant (pic above) a decent flowing air intake? Anything good/bad about it?

I have either the volant in mind or the Blackwing with coupler (flow pac) and I would like to order an air bridge with that as well. I saw that Vararam sold an air bridge which says it will fit other kits such as the Blackwing...

I realize that I will also need to either get new fog light inserts to allow more air into the engine bay... or possibly make some cuts into what i have now since i am going to get fog light screens anyway.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Outlawwed Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have this setup on my z06.
Only complaint i have is the recharge kit. it comes in a bottle, the oil is thick, and just have to douse it on. next time i recharge I am going to try pouring the oil in a spray bottle, because the way it comes, you will make an extreme mess, and waist alot of the recharge oil. I may even just get a K&N recharge kit for it.

other than that, it is a fine set up. big brige,, duel huge cones, and looks realy nice. no way is the air restricted on this thing!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM
leet13
Instructor

It looks like it would flow well compared to a few intakes I have seen that looked to be in a t shape with the air filters on each end...

Can you hear any kind of air being sucked in if you press the gas?

Hope its not too thick to be sprayed from a spray bottle!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Outlawwed Z06
Advanced

No, If i did hear air, i would have already replaced it
Old 04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

This "system" is just a Y/T tube, with two K&N filters. Exact thing available on fleabay for around $30. For my first "CAI" I just bought a large conical/oval shaped K&N from their custom line with a 4" inlet. That attached directly to the MAF, and was superior (IMO) to a drop-in type, for about $45. Back to the twin-cone issue; there have been many reports of air turbulence causing codes from those using that type of design.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Outlawwed Z06
Advanced

theese cones are rather large, I havnt seen a K&N setup with same size cones for any less, and I havnt recived any codes from using this setup.
also comes with the bridge, not going to get that for $30

but shop around, you may find somthing you like better. I am satisfied with mine, other than the recharging issue.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
leet13
Instructor

Thank you for the info.
Saw a vid on youtube and it sounded like it was sucking in air when he pressed the gas (not an air leak as you were referring too)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Outlawwed Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by leet13
Thank you for the info.
Saw a vid on youtube and it sounded like it was sucking in air when he pressed the gas (not an air leak as you were referring too)
i wasnt refering to a leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Volant Air Intake? Anyone have one?

Quick Reply: Volant Air Intake? Anyone have one?