C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Convertible Top

I've had my white 1998 a few weeks and think I've messed up something. I pushed the hatch release button (that stores the top) behind the driver's seat, while the top was secured in the up position.
I don't remember seeing a piece of cloth covering that entire curved section behind both seats, until now. I haven't driven it but a couple of times, but somehow it just looks different. Could someone with a convertible look at theirs while the top is up, and let me know if this cloth covering the curved areas behind the seats is normal. I think the waterfall and the curves behind the seats is the best part of the interior.
When I pushed that button it made a grinding noise and I knew immediately that I should have waited until I had lifted the top first.

Last edited by Donnasophia; 04-18-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Razzputon
Pro

well I havent ever tried to open it with the top up but I can tell you that there is a piece of cloth that covers the back area when the top is up.

Have you put the top down since you heard the grinding noise?
Can you elaborate on the grinding noise? how long did it last?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Razzputon
well I havent ever tried to open it with the top up but I can tell you that there is a piece of cloth that covers the back area when the top is up.

Have you put the top down since you heard the grinding noise?
Can you elaborate on the grinding noise? how long did it last?
Thanks, at least I know I didn't break something. Yes, I've put the top down since I hit that button that caused the noise. It is some kind of motor running for several seconds (I don't have a power top)

Last edited by Donnasophia; 04-18-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
DangerBrian
Instructor

I have recetly bought a 2001 convertible and I can tell you what is "normal" for mine. I obviously unlatch the top from the windshield pillar then pull it back which in turn releases tension on the back part of the top which the pulls upward allowing access to the waterfall cover. I reach in a hit the button which "pops" the cover open allowing for the top the then be folded back and stored under cover as you already know. I also have noticed though that if my windows are up, when I pop the waterfall cover it automatically lowers both windows. The car obviously assumes you are going somewhere with the top down and wants you to enjoy the ride So what you may be hearing is the window motor??? Just my 2 cents....
Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
buckg2
Instructor

Did your knee maybe hit the power seat button at the same time?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DangerBrian
I have recetly bought a 2001 convertible and I can tell you what is "normal" for mine. I obviously unlatch the top from the windshield pillar then pull it back which in turn releases tension on the back part of the top which the pulls upward allowing access to the waterfall cover. I reach in a hit the button which "pops" the cover open allowing for the top the then be folded back and stored under cover as you already know. I also have noticed though that if my windows are up, when I pop the waterfall cover it automatically lowers both windows. The car obviously assumes you are going somewhere with the top down and wants you to enjoy the ride So what you may be hearing is the window motor??? Just my 2 cents....
Thanks, It must be the power window motor. I have been putting the top down (in the garage, without driving it) to wax the waterfall and shine the dash etc.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by buckg2
Did your knee maybe hit the power seat button at the same time?
No, didn't do that.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,319 Posts

The cloth is always there with the top up, you probably just didn't notice. The only motor running when you push the button should be both power windows going down. Unless the cover unlock button was "cycling" because the cover wasn't able to pop up and that's what you heard.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The cloth is always there with the top up, you probably just didn't notice. The only motor running when you push the button should be both power windows going down. Unless the cover unlock button was "cycling" because the cover wasn't able to pop up and that's what you heard.
I usually notice details, guess I was just too busy admiring the look of my new car. Not too crazy about that cloth covering up something that looks so great. Gonna keep it anyway.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by Donnasophia
I usually notice details, guess I was just too busy admiring the look of my new car. Not too crazy about that cloth covering up something that looks so great. Gonna keep it anyway.
Ya know I was thinking the same thing. I wouldnt mind knowing the logic behind that piece of cloth. Not only would it look better on my car but when I have the windows down and the top up it flaps in the wind.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

On a side note, that cloth also helps protect the rear glass when the top is down.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Razzputon
when I have the windows down and the top up it flaps in the wind.
....and I was thinking, what the heck did I do to cause this flappage.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Donnasophia
Heel & Toe

On a side note, that cloth also helps protect the rear glass when the top is down.
I'm sure it does. I don't think my T-Bird has ever had any flapping and the soft top also has a rear glass window. However, it is more difficult to take the hard top off.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
trbomike
Instructor

hate resurrection old posts, but i just bought a 00 vert and the cloth flapping in the wind is driving me nuts.. whats the solution?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by trbomike
hate resurrection old posts, but i just bought a 00 vert and the cloth flapping in the wind is driving me nuts.. whats the solution?
Start a new thread asking for advice on your own question.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's its primary purpose.
When you press "the button" you are not actuating any sort of motor - its a lock release just like when you press "the button" to release the trunk. If you hear a motor running it has nothing to do with the hatch relase.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:49 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

See what happens when you revive a year old thread that has long since been answered.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnasophia
Thanks, at least I know I didn't break something. Yes, I've put the top down since I hit that button that caused the noise. It is some kind of motor running for several seconds (I don't have a power top)

The noise you hear is the sound of the windows going down. Pushing the button under the waterfall activates the window down motors.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Convertible Top

Quick Reply: C5 Convertible Top