C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To repair EBCM avoiding costly repairs through ABSfixer or Fleabay

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The vibration potting used in the 2001-2004 EBTCM is a SOFT RTV compound that can easily be picked out and away from the components.

Name:  C5EBTCMdisassembled6.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  C5EBTCMdisassembled9.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  169.5 KB

BE CAREFUL around that aluminum dish looking thing below the solenoids. Thats where the MICROPROCESSOR lives and it has a coating of real sticky viscous compound covering the board.

Name:  C5EBTCMdisassembled4.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  101.4 KB

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
I actually stock some popular tubes as we repair vintage and current audio equipment....I am 48 and wasn't repairing tv's in the "tube caddy" days.

As far as the potting material goes, that stuff is nearly impossible to remove. It would all have to go so that you could get to the solder and component sides of the board. I tried to repair a Harley regulator that was encased.....I didn't get too far. Maybe heating in an oven may break it down? If the board can be removed, there is a chance they can be fixed.
I am a tube audio lover. Build all my own stuff. And you never know what might be lurking in the back of a TV repair shop.

I work for Tektronix. You may have heard of us. We pot some assemblies and have the need to remove it from time to time to do failure analysis. So depending on what the goo in the old units is, we may have a way to remove it..Just going to see what it is. you never know.

Ron
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I am a tube audio lover. Build all my own stuff. And you never know what might be lurking in the back of a TV repair shop.

I work for Tektronix. You may have heard of us. We pot some assemblies and have the need to remove it from time to time to do failure analysis. So depending on what the goo in the old units is, we may have a way to remove it..Just going to see what it is. you never know.

Ron
Actually Ron, I have a couple of Tek scopes in the shop.

This could be interesting as there are tons of people needing these repaired. If that material would come off clean, it may open up a whole market....
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
qwiktim
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After staring at abs, traction control, and active handling lights for 9 months in my 2003 Z06, I found this thread today and re-soldered my ebcm module.............

Fixed!

Thanks so much!

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  70.6 KB
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Well I got mine out, but that darn seal is impossible for me. I got a screw driver in, but broke it and then I chipped a piece off the cover. So I stopped went to a mirror and I thought "yep your starting to look like bubba" so I sent it to ABS fixer. Proud that I got it out, but not so proud that I sent it out.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
twomedicine1
3rd Gear

Default Great article

I was pleased to find this fix on the Forum Great job with the description and photos. This make a pain in the a** and spendy job a breeze. I was ready to buy a new part till I researched this thread. Thank you. Such an easy fix for a huge problem.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts

Great post
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Fixed!!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 PM
getkong
Instructor

fixed mine over the weekend. was originally planning to send it to absfixer, but once i saw it was just resoldering some posts, i figured i could do it myself. most of the time was spent breaking the seal and getting the back cover off.

i used a screw in the hole after removing the silicone, and then a screwdriver and hammer to wedge the cover apart.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Will this fix a no communication issue with the EBCM?

The battery on mine died and no its throwing no comm code.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
ChristianAnarchist
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HighlanderX
Will this fix a no communication issue with the EBCM?

The battery on mine died and no its throwing no comm code.
I am in a similar situation. I went away for a month and disconnected the battery so it wouldn't go dead and when I returned and connected the battery, NOCOMM and a couple of other codes... I've been watching this thread and planning to try the repair and see if it works.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM
ChristianAnarchist
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

Ron
I worked for Tek for 10 years from 1969. Tek was huge back then. Worked in about 5 different buildings finishing in the model shop...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:59 AM
RidgecrestC5
Instructor

Default Fixed

Found this fix for ECBM tried it now problem is solve, Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now to find a fix for 1997 to 2001
Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
I took my EBMC apart this weekend. The hardest part was opening it up.
It is sealed with silicone and took me about 2 hrs to finally get it to break the seal. Looking at the circuit board (with a magnifying glass)I saw four cracked solder joints.
I re soldered all of them and reinstalled everything. I put about 100 miles on it this weekend with on light coming on and I did one really hard stop to activate the ABS and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the great info!
What would we do without the Corvette Forum and the helpful people on it?
That's nearly identical to what mine looked like. I'm now at 9 months plus since I did this repair and it still works perfectly. This is a GREAT find and fix. I just wish it was as easy for the guys outside of the Z06 year range.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 AM
yellowshark454
Intermediate

Hi guys, hoping someone can help me on this. I am trying to open up my faulty EBCM unit. It seems that the unit is corroded together and has deteriorated over time (MY 2001). I think if I try any harder the casing is going to break - some bits have already slightly come apart.

I suspect that if I send it to ABS fixer he will have no better luck than me in separating the unit. . I just suspect that if I send it to ABS fixer the casing will brake and I will have wasted more time and money.

Note that I live in the UK so I have to add airmail and time to the equation

In preparation for biting the bullet and admitting that I have to buy a new unit, I have found the part on Rock Auto.com which is listed as ACDelco part # 12216561 at a price to me shipped of just over 600GBP.

The shipped cost to me of the part via GM is 1300+ GBP so clearly the part advertised by Rock Auto is attractive!!

Does anyone know of the part is kosher, either as used by GM or a credible alternative?

Cheers Pete

Get notified of new replies

To How-To repair EBCM avoiding costly repairs through ABSfixer or Fleabay

Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowshark454
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me on this. I am trying to open up my faulty EBCM unit. It seems that the unit is corroded together and has deteriorated over time (MY 2001). I think if I try any harder the casing is going to break - some bits have already slightly come apart.

I suspect that if I send it to ABS fixer he will have no better luck than me in separating the unit. . I just suspect that if I send it to ABS fixer the casing will brake and I will have wasted more time and money.

In preparation for biting the bullet and admitting that I have to buy a new unit, I have found the part on Rock Auto.com which is listed as ACDelco part # 12216561 at a price to me shipped of just over 600GBP.

The shipped cost to me of the part via GM is 1300+ GBP so clearly the part advertised by Rock Auto is attractive!!

Does anyone know of the part is kosher, either as used by GM or a credible alternative?

Cheers Pete
I think the 2001 is still the non-repairable one due to the issues you are experiencing. Dont' remember for sure which year it stops 2000 or 2001
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by yellowshark454

Cheers Pete
Pete

Your 2001 is repairable! Meaning it just like the 2002-04. The unit is being held in with silicone RTV like substance. You just have to apply slow steady constant parting forces. Heres a picture of the RTV that gets injected into the module :

Name:  C5EBTCMdisassembled9.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  169.5 KB

Once you get a wedge in between the case and the module plate, just keep installing wider and wider wedges.

NOTE! If you damage the face of the case or the case sealing surface, you will need to make some sort of repairs that will allow the unit to be water tight. Take some pictures of the damaged case and we can help you come up with a repair method.

Ive seen a few people who failed to seal up the case and the case filled with water. It wasn't pretty and it was expensive!!!

Bill
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

The other thing to remember is that ABS Fixer has repaired hundreds, if not thousands of these units. I'd be willing to bet they can safely disassemble one much faster than any of us. That's not to say that no one should do it, themself, but I wouldn't assume that if you can't do it, they can't do it, either.

Quick Reply: How-To repair EBCM avoiding costly repairs through ABSfixer or Fleabay