C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Question...seeking clarification

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Lowering Question...seeking clarification

After discussing the currtant stance of my FRC with the previous owner I was informed that the way that he lowered it to the currant "stance" was to purchase longer bolts for the rear and to "remove the bolts" from the front. I can see the bolts in the rear and it appears that everything is still connected. I'm concerned about the front though. Once I get the car up in the air and on stands how do I tell which bolt(s) was (were) removed? I've read mixed comments about this way of lowering the C5. How does this affect the handling of my car from stock? I've been looking to do the C6 Z51 swaybars and C6 Z06 shocks upgrades later this summer sometime and want to make sure that the car will still be safe and drivable. Thanks for ANY and all insight that you can provide.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi mre1974 -

The front bolts are located on the outermost ends of the transverse spring. The bolt is a 10mm hex bolt, the hex-head protruding above the spring, and a rubber snubber on the end that protrudes under the spring.

The rubber snubber makes contact with the top of the a-arm.

I have never completely removed the adjuster bolt and I personally would not do that. I have read many accounts on this forum of people doing just that with no serious negative effect.

Decide if the ride-height is acceptable to you, and if not, re-install some front bolts.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 04-23-2011, 04:05 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

You must have close to 0 suspension travel left with the car that way. I bet it rides pretty rough.

Peter
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by mqqn
Hi mre1974 -

The front bolts are located on the outermost ends of the transverse spring. The bolt is a 10mm hex bolt, the hex-head protruding above the spring, and a rubber snubber on the end that protrudes under the spring.

The rubber snubber makes contact with the top of the a-arm.

I have never completely removed the adjuster bolt and I personally would not do that. I have read many accounts on this forum of people doing just that with no serious negative effect.

Decide if the ride-height is acceptable to you, and if not, re-install some front bolts.

best regards -

mqqn

Thanks for the information. When I get a chance I'm going to have to get it up in the air with the wheels off in the front and see if I can find the bolt holes and investigate further. I may have to go to the dealership or see if I can find the bolts online from one of the forum sponcering vendors.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The front bolts aren't available from the dealerships, the bolts are part of the spring and aren't available separately. Hardbar products (Gary Hoffman) sells replacement bolts. There may be other places where you can get them.

In the back you can likely use the bolts you have to get it up high enough.

You will be really surprised how much better it will ride when you get it off of the bump stops.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
Thanks for the information. When I get a chance I'm going to have to get it up in the air with the wheels off in the front and see if I can find the bolt holes and investigate further. I may have to go to the dealership or see if I can find the bolts online from one of the forum sponcering vendors.
IIRC, all you need to do is drive the car forward or backward a little, and turn the wheels full lock as you do so. This should allow you enough of a view to see whether the front bolts are in there or not, without pulling the wheels.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

Any C5 front lowering bolts will work in the spring. They have enough adjustment you can go from the stock ride height to a little lower than the stock bolts would let you.

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Question...seeking clarification

Quick Reply: Lowering Question...seeking clarification