C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should stock C5 automatic fishtail when hitting second and third gears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmaleck
The casting # wont be on the white tag they will be stamped onto the head, usually on the corner closest to front of car on passenger side of head probably will be 241. I'm just wondering because IF someone were to do internal mods I would think they would atleast upgrade the heads to a 243 or better. I suppose not everyone will do this though.
I'll pop the covers tomorrow and check. I miss the double hump days!

Last edited by mtdoragary; 04-03-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
Okay, if you say so. I doubt 3.15 gears allow tire spin from 2nd to 3rd...at WOT you'd be around what 80-85 mph?? I'm a 2.73 car with mods in sig..COW tune..still won't even bark second but for maybe a millisecond. Bald tires or not.

The op is saying this isn't even a "chirp" that the car is actually spinning..I'd like to see a stock C5 spin going into 3rd on dry pavement. not calling BS just saying I'd like to see it on a STOCK car.

Car is modified and/or tuned.

Does your car lope at all? Any possibility of a high stall converter??

It shouldn't be spinning too severely with the traction control on either just so you're aware. Should spin for a brief second then cut power back to gain traction.
No high stall, no lope. VERY hard shifts! It fishtails momentarily and then cuts power. Power comes back on full almost immediately.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by mtdoragary
The shifts are seriously firm and hard. The fishtailing comes with traction control ON I don't want to burn up the tires by spinning one wheel! It's got the G90 and G92 codes. It has Corsa exhaust and a carbon fiber over-the-radiator duct and dual K&N cones in front. That's all I can find. Can't get in touch with previous owners. The 3.15 gears likely explains why I get only 30-21 mpg.
Okay cool! You do have the 3.15's and it really sounds like you tranny has been rebuilt and has a shift kit in it for sure

When I had mine rebuilt, tought it shifted great before, but when it got the shift kit too a huge difference

More than likely it has at least a tune either handheld, mail order or street tune with the tranny having a "Shift Kit" - thus getting the hard quixk and firm shifts

You sound set on the tranny I wish I could look at your PCM tune and look over the tranny tables to see where they are at!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, if you say so. I doubt 3.15 gears allow tire spin from 2nd to 3rd...at WOT you'd be around what 80-85 mph?? I'm a 2.73 car with mods in sig..COW tune..still won't even bark second but for maybe a millisecond. Bald tires or not.

The op is saying this isn't even a "chirp" that the car is actually spinning..I'd like to see a stock C5 spin going into 3rd on dry pavement. not calling BS just saying I'd like to see it on a STOCK car.

It shouldn't be spinning too severely with the traction control on either just so you're aware. Should spin for a brief second then cut power back to gain traction.

....absolutely.
Ed
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Okay cool! You do have the 3.15's and it really sounds like you tranny has been rebuilt and has a shift kit in it for sure

When I had mine rebuilt, tought it shifted great before, but when it got the shift kit too a huge difference

More than likely it has at least a tune either handheld, mail order or street tune with the tranny having a "Shift Kit" - thus getting the hard quixk and firm shifts

You sound set on the tranny I wish I could look at your PCM tune and look over the tranny tables to see where they are at!

Thanks,Matt
Too bad I can't use my VAG-COM on the Vette... I'm happy with it, but curious as to what all was done to it before I bought it....

Last edited by mtdoragary; 04-03-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
....absolutely.
Ed
I don't know what you guys are talking about but mine does it all the time when it hits 3rd gear!

And mine is an A4 too!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

"I just replaced my BFG Traction T/A's with Hankook Ventus V12's. With the BFG's it would slide all over the place through 1st, 2nd and into 3rd. With the Hankook's there is slight sideways action in 1st, and a slight wiggle going into 2nd, but that's it. Mine is a stock 99 except for the mods listed in my sig. Mine is a 6-speed, so I have the 3.42 gears.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it on a dyno....see what it puts down....the end.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Quote:

I don't know what you guys are talking about but mine does it all the time when it hits 3rd gear!

And mine is an A4 too!

Thanks,Matt

Matt,
The only thing stock in your engine and drive train is the radiator cap!
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 04-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't even have to remove the fuel rails covers to see the casting number on the head. Pass side lower front corner has a little flat spot and on that spot will be 3 numbers, I'm betting it will say 243.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Look at the lower front corner, see the 243?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was beginning to think it was just me...

A few months ago I bought a 2000 Convertible , Auto, 3.15 rear, under 20Kmiles. The only aftermarket item is a Corsa Pace Car cat back. Everything else is stock... right down to original brake pad and rotors.
Tires are less than year old EMT... about 400miles on them so far. My dad was previous owner so I know the entire history...

My car also gets out of line when it hits second... the rear kicks hard to the right... enough to give me that thought... "is this friggin thing coming around on me??" I expect it now but the first few rides where very unexpected. It is almost like it "hops" sideways.

I have a 1970 Convertible as well... I am very familiar with grabbing second gear and even third... but that is 4spd Muncie... When I grab second I can feel the tires breaking loose and gliding... but the C5 is more harsh...

I just turned 40 last month... maybe I am just getting old?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Old??? I turn 70 next January! It's good to hear from someone else who actually has real 60's and 70's muscle car experience. It appears that many of the young computer drivers on this site drove nothing but front wheel drive rice burners before getting a Vette. I guess they NEED a computerized nanny to straighten the Vette out when it gets a bit sideways! And what's all this nonsense about "drifting" being something new? I've been throwing the tail out powering through turns for more than fifty years, just like most people who drove rear-wheel-drive beaters on dirt roads while growing up in the old south!
l
Originally Posted by Mr.Gearhead
I was beginning to think it was just me...

A few months ago I bought a 2000 Convertible , Auto, 3.15 rear, under 20Kmiles. The only aftermarket item is a Corsa Pace Car cat back. Everything else is stock... right down to original brake pad and rotors.
Tires are less than year old EMT... about 400miles on them so far. My dad was previous owner so I know the entire history...

My car also gets out of line when it hits second... the rear kicks hard to the right... enough to give me that thought... "is this friggin thing coming around on me??" I expect it now but the first few rides where very unexpected. It is almost like it "hops" sideways.

I have a 1970 Convertible as well... I am very familiar with grabbing second gear and even third... but that is 4spd Muncie... When I grab second I can feel the tires breaking loose and gliding... but the C5 is more harsh...

I just turned 40 last month... maybe I am just getting old?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

For a minute there, I thought my old eyes had given up on me, but then I saw it! Thanks!
Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82

Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Nope; it doesn't have 243!
Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82

Quick Reply: Should stock C5 automatic fishtail when hitting second and third gears?