C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one has mentioned that you should use Dex-Cool in cars, especially Corvettes, that have a pressurized cooling system. For a non pressurized system, it is advisable to check the anti freeze frequently for particulate matter and off-color. Remove it if the particulates or off color occurs. Should not try to keep the Dex-Cool in the cooling system designed for the green stuff for more than 2 years. If your vehicle came with the green stuff, stick with the green stuff. All of my 7 GM vehicles have the color code of the anti freeze on the top of the overflow cap. A GM World Class tech said that Dex-Cool used in the system not designed for it could cause problems. A lot of the earlier model cars, including Corvette, did not have pressurized cooling systems. Just my $0.02 input.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 PM
cracker Bear
Racer

your in luck .. i deal with coolant and cars all day.. without telling you all about nitrates and sillica and organic and well a bunch a stuff that gets hard to explain.. just use dexcool.. and make sure that it says dexcool on it not that it is just compatiable.. the differance is virginity... seriously.. USE DEXCOOL... the other stuff is not good for longevity.. and NEVER use the green stuff... \
Happy motoring\
tha bear
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtnvettes
A lot of the earlier model cars, including Corvette, did not have pressurized cooling systems. Just my $0.02 input.
Whoa, That's not worth 2 cents.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
cracker Bear
Racer

here is 4 cents for ya.. cars in the early 1900s had a good bit of methanol in water as coolant,, (the methanol kept the water from freezing)
Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I love all the great ideas to circumvent the engineering design behind this car. As if this person knew something that was, in reality, a conspiracy by the government and GM. I use to come here to help and educate, Now I come here primarily for the laughs. I thought people knew very little about automotive engineering when I first came here ten years ago, But by todays standards, those people were geniuses compared to the new ones that come here.. We use to always say we had to make it Idiot proof... But what I have seen here over the last few years is the CF incorporates a much higher order of idiot. And Not only that, look at those who will agree with these idiots.. it use to be the blind leading the blind, its now, who is the greatest idiot to prove that Gm knows nothing about building a car, and who will agree with them.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a simple, silly azz topic this just keeps getting better...

There's that ole' saying KISS
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I love all the great ideas to circumvent the engineering design behind this car. As if this person knew something that was, in reality, a conspiracy by the government and GM. I use to come here to help and educate, Now I come here primarily for the laughs. I thought people knew very little about automotive engineering when I first came here ten years ago, But by todays standards, those people were geniuses compared to the new ones that come here.. We use to always say we had to make it Idiot proof... But what I have seen here over the last few years is the CF incorporates a much higher order of idiot. And Not only that, look at those who will agree with these idiots.. it use to be the blind leading the blind, its now, who is the greatest idiot to prove that Gm knows nothing about building a car, and who will agree with them.
You're a class act, E-T, let me tell ya.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
You're a class act, E-T, let me tell ya.
OMG...lookie lookie whos talkin...the stalker
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 AM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yello95
omg...lookie lookie whos talkin...the stalker
??? Wtf ???
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DaBoz
??? Wtf ???
Everytime ET posts...he is right there with a smartazzed comment...get it now?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
If I did not have two corvettes I would maybe believe you on that. After dealing with a C3's brake caliper and rotor run out voodoo and my C5s plastic endlinks and rubber bushings in the seat tracks not to mention the countless problems people have with the oil pressure sending unit, the rear end leaking etc etc I would say that GM screws it up just as much as any other company.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
MrMasterCraft
Intermediate

These are, for the most part, some interesting posts. I've heard numerous times that DEXCOOL eats at newer gasket materials, reduces rubber seal life, etc. etc. etc. Yet, everybody that ever spoke of it, could never provide any solid proof that it did. With lack of solid evidence, and all of my GM vehicles still ticking fairly well, I have yet to change out any DEXCOOL, and I don't see that changing at all. After reading all of this, it just confirmed my belief of everything as false rumors.

With that being said, and not to hi-jack, today is the second time in a row that my car got hot idling at stoplights for over a minute. Got it home, couldn't tell whether or not the fans were kicking on, but I guess I'll let it sit again until this weekend to take a further peek at it. Oh, not to mention, I let it cool off for a few hours, to move it to the side of the garage, and it wouldn't start. Second time that has happened too. Awwwwesome
Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by manley845
Not even the GM Gods get it right all the time.
"On October 23, 2008, the California Superior Court granted final approval to the class action settlement reached with General Motors in the GM/Dex-Cool class action lawsuit. This settlement affects people who purchased or leased a "covered vehicle" anywhere in the United States other than Missouri. A separate settlement has been reached for those who purchased or leased their vehicle in Missouri, which will offer the same benefits.

The settlement, which covers dozens of GM vehicle platforms spanning ten model years, provides $50 to $800 in cash reimbursement for class members who paid for a covered repair by May 30, 2008, and submitted a claim form by October 27, 2008."

http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html
People have to look at that settlement and see it was only related to certain engines and the gaskets used in those engines. Not a single LS engine was affected by that. In most cases with those people it still was a case of performing improper or no maintenance on those vehicles. Even the settlement was more or less a joke.

The Green Stuff has always been a PIA problem ever since I started driving 53 years ago. It has been involved in thousands of cooling system issues since it first came out decades ago. Then you have a new coolant called Dexcool that is so good that the main producer of the Green Stuff copied Dexcool as soon as the patent protection ran out. Dexcool has been running in millions of cars for 15 years and in hundreds of thousands of Corvettes for 14 years with no issues. The numbers are on the Dexcool side not the green coolant side.

Why would anybody want to go to the green stuff which needs to be flushed out every two years while they can have Dex in the system keep it for 5 years and when they drain it out it looks just like it did when it was first put in.

Bill

Quick Reply: coolant