C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive train clanking sound on shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Krispy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive train clanking sound on shutdown?

'02 Z06 with about 40k miles on it and when shutting off the motor there is a clanking/knocking sound coming the rear end of the vehicle. Forum search seems to indicate this may be a normal 'GM issue'?? I'm more worried that it is a precursor to an actual problem, (ie something like; drive shaft coupler, trans-axle mount(s), torque tube mount(s))? If it's a trans-alxe mount, any likely failure points?

The car receives some road course track time each summer although I don't recall if the noise was present when I purchased the vehicle or if its something that just developed over the past year.

Idea's, thoughts, opinions?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Sea Five
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krispy
'02 Z06 with about 40k miles on it and when shutting off the motor there is a clanking/knocking sound coming the rear end of the vehicle. Forum search seems to indicate this may be a normal 'GM issue'?? I'm more worried that it is a precursor to an actual problem, (ie something like; drive shaft coupler, trans-axle mount(s), torque tube mount(s))? If it's a trans-alxe mount, any likely failure points?

The car receives some road course track time each summer although I don't recall if the noise was present when I purchased the vehicle or if its something that just developed over the past year.

Idea's, thoughts, opinions?
sounds normal to me. try this: shut it down with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. does the sound go away or get quieter? its driveline chatter from the rotation of the input shaft/throwout bearing and things. every 6 speed GM ive owned did it. unless we're hearing a different noise that is
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Jay_Rich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea mine does the same thing on shut down, its a 6speed car too, seems normal to me

As long as it isnt some terrible sound haha, mine basically sounds like the motor is just slowing down lol

Jay
Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Owner's manual says to shut it off with the clutch in. It helps a lot.

Dope
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
mustang281man
Instructor

mine also sound that way when i turn it off (6 speed)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes,the "marbles in a coffee can" sound.

As stated earlier,push in the clutch before you turn off the key,you won't hear it anymore.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcass
As stated earlier,push in the clutch before you turn off the key,you won't hear it anymore.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Krispy
Instructor

Appreciated, I'll have to check to see if this helps in a month when the car is back on the road.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Krispy

Forum search seems to indicate this may be a normal 'GM issue'?? I'm more worried that it is a precursor to an actual problem, (ie something like; drive shaft coupler, trans-axle mount(s), torque tube mount(s))? If it's a trans-alxe mount, any likely failure points?
Its normal and doesn't indicate a problem in the drivetrain so it isn't an issue. It is a function of the drive train layout that gives you better weight distribution. Better the way GM did the design than the way Porsche did it with the 928 where they had all sorts of reliability issues.

Bill
Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
fastyellowss
Instructor

Give your tailpipes a lite kick. Mine was making such a noise on shutdown, but its something broken in the mufflers (both). I have them off and when I shake em, they rattle.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive train clanking sound on shutdown?

Quick Reply: Drive train clanking sound on shutdown?