C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 1233 after cam install, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Code 1233 after cam install, a few questions

Service ABS, Service TCS came up right away after installing my cam. DIC code 1233 RF sensor inop or open. I have not had a chance to run the harness, etc. I know it could be the sensor in the hub but I don't believe in coincidences. Those of you know about a cam install realize we had to disconnect the ABS Module, steering column so we could move the rest of the steering system out of the way. We just moved it to the passenger side enough to be able to get at the front of the engine.

Cam, springs all in and everything went fine. After buttoning her all back up we found a wiring connection we couldn't account for. It is a male that looks like it hasn't been plugged into anything for a while, but that doesn't really mean anything.

My main question is this: Does anyone know what the harness from the ABS all the way the the Hub looks like? One piece from Module to hub or is there more than one connection for the RF. I haven't had a chance to get the car back up in the air, but I am pretty sure the connection in the hub was there because I also installed new rotors during the cam install work. Not positive though.

Is the on the hub a female connection?

Sorry for the long thread,,,any advice or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. Wow does she lock up the brakes without the ABS under hard braking!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Service ABS, Service TCS came up right away after installing my cam. DIC code 1233 RF sensor inop or open. I have not had a chance to run the harness, etc. I know it could be the sensor in the hub but I don't believe in coincidences. Those of you know about a cam install realize we had to disconnect the ABS Module, steering column so we could move the rest of the steering system out of the way. We just moved it to the passenger side enough to be able to get at the front of the engine.

Cam, springs all in and everything went fine. After buttoning her all back up we found a wiring connection we couldn't account for. It is a male that looks like it hasn't been plugged into anything for a while, but that doesn't really mean anything.

My main question is this: Does anyone know what the harness from the ABS all the way the the Hub looks like? One piece from Module to hub or is there more than one connection for the RF. I haven't had a chance to get the car back up in the air, but I am pretty sure the connection in the hub was there because I also installed new rotors during the cam install work. Not positive though.

Is the on the hub a female connection?

Sorry for the long thread,,,any advice or ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure I understand all the questions, when you admittedly just worked on the car.....and probably damaged/disconnected the pigtail between the sensor and receptacle on the frame. My guess is, if you just pull the wheel, and have a look, all your questions will be answered. There is an outside chance, that you damaged wiring at the EBCM connector as well. Either way......have a look
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Not sure I understand all the questions, when you admittedly just worked on the car.....and probably damaged/disconnected the pigtail between the sensor and receptacle on the frame. My guess is, if you just pull the wheel, and have a look, all your questions will be answered. There is an outside chance, that you damaged wiring at the EBCM connector as well. Either way......have a look

Thanks for the response,,,my hope was to gather as much info as possible before I start looking! Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Thanks for the response,,,my hope was to gather as much info as possible before I start looking! Thanks for your comments.
Ok. I just had a brainstorm. You can compare the right side....with the left side. Sorry, I should have thought of that sooner.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Ok. I just had a brainstorm. You can compare the right side....with the left side. Sorry, I should have thought of that sooner.

That is one of the things I will do. I was wondering if anyone knew if the harness over to the right wheel had two pieces to get over to the right wheel since the abs module is located closer to the drivers side.

Guess I thought GM might just sneak in another part just for the heck of it.

Another theory I have heard was that the unknown loose connector might be for an outside air temp sensor for an option my car doesn't have and has just been hanging there.

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The wires pass through the harness that goes across the fan shroud. Once you check to see if the rf connector is connected you should check the harness for damage. The transmission harness connects to the forward harness with connector C148 which contains the wheel speed and steering sensor signals. The right front sensor signals go through the transmission harness to connector C108 which is the one that connects to the sensor.

Bill
Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The wires pass through the harness that goes across the fan shroud. Once you check to see if the rf connector is connected you should check the harness for damage. The transmission harness connects to the forward harness with connector C148 which contains the wheel speed and steering sensor signals. The right front sensor signals go through the transmission harness to connector C108 which is the one that connects to the sensor.

Bill

Thanks! I will run all of those paths! Just back home to see your post!

Kent
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

OK, FHR trid real hard to help trace the wires Bill referred to. We jacked the car up and ohmed the wheel hub 1075, same as a new one FHR had, so sensor in hub is OK. Harness from hub to the next connection tested OK, That connection lies on top of the frame inboard of the RF wheel area. From there the harness goes across the radiator frame area and then appears to go into a T with wires from the RF. Did not appear to be damaged along this strech, and then goes rearward. We were not able to see where those wires came back forward to the ABS, etc. module but can see a bunch of wires coming from the rear back to the the module and plugs into it via a multi wire plug. We are gonna need a lift, not just a jack to run the rest of the harness,,,,

Any advice, info, wiring diagram, etc. would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

OK, FHR trid real hard to help trace the wires Bill referred to. We jacked the car up and ohmed the wheel hub 1075, same as a new one FHR had, so sensor in hub is OK. Harness from hub to the next connection tested OK, That connection lies on top of the frame inboard of the RF wheel area. From there the harness goes across the radiator frame area and then appears to go into a T with wires from the RF. Did not appear to be damaged along this strech, and then goes rearward. We were not able to see where those wires came back forward to the ABS, etc. module but can see a bunch of wires coming from the rear back to the the module and plugs into it via a multi wire plug. We are gonna need a lift, not just a jack to run the rest of the harness,,,,

Any advice, info, wiring diagram, etc. would be appreciated.

There is no single picture that shows how it is all wired together and no picture that shows how the signals flow through the various harnesses. I know they go from the wheel speed sensor to the transmission harness, to the in line harness, to where ?? so the flow isn't exactly clear from the Service Manual. I have been piecing together info from the 98 through 04 manuals since the harness routing pretty much stayed the same with all front mounted EBCMs. I have a bunch of pictures from the manual that are basically snapshots of parts of the ABS electrical layout and you will have to piece them together as you go. They do overlay each other to some extent. It probably is better to send them through an email. PM me with your email address.

Bill
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is no single picture that shows how it is all wired together and no picture that shows how the signals flow through the various harnesses. I know they go from the wheel speed sensor to the transmission harness, to the in line harness, to where ?? so the flow isn't exactly clear from the Service Manual. I have been piecing together info from the 98 through 04 manuals since the harness routing pretty much stayed the same with all front mounted EBCMs. I have a bunch of pictures from the manual that are basically snapshots of parts of the ABS electrical layout and you will have to piece them together as you go. They do overlay each other to some extent. It probably is better to send them through an email. PM me with your email address.

Bill

Thanks Bill,,,,you are more proof that this forum and it's member's rock!

pm coming!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This still isnt solved. I was the one that put the cam/parts in this car. I saw the loose connector after reinstalling the radiator. I searched for a good 30 minutes and could not see where it came from. I also did NOT disconnect this when pulling the car apart. I made absolutely sure not to damage anything on the back of the radiator and that was the first place I checked when we were looking to put it back in. I know some of the ABS/Power steering stuff runs back there as well as along the front where the power steering rack is. Nothing is left unplugged there either.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
This still isnt solved. I was the one that put the cam/parts in this car. I saw the loose connector after reinstalling the radiator. I searched for a good 30 minutes and could not see where it came from. I also did NOT disconnect this when pulling the car apart. I made absolutely sure not to damage anything on the back of the radiator and that was the first place I checked when we were looking to put it back in. I know some of the ABS/Power steering stuff runs back there as well as along the front where the power steering rack is. Nothing is left unplugged there either.
Take a picture of the connector and post it. Also make note of the wire colors going into the connector in question. You need to use a meter, and check the resistance value from the plug at the WSS to the EBCM ....wire for wire. It's common for the wires to get damaged, or pulled from the connector(ebcm side), during this type of work .....even if you can't see the damage, it doesn't mean its not.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Thanks guys,

I have pretty much gone as far as I can unil I get the car in the air to fully run and test the rest of the harness. As far as the mistery connection,,,I'll run that down too, but my gut feeling is that it is not involved in this problem.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Thanks guys,

I have pretty much gone as far as I can unil I get the car in the air to fully run and test the rest of the harness. As far as the mistery connection,,,I'll run that down too, but my gut feeling is that it is not involved in this problem.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

You still have not pursued the ideas already suggested........

Ok, unless I'm missing something, I don't see (in this thread), where the wiring has been evaluated from the WSS plug to the EBCM plug. This can be done with the car on the ground.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Thanks for the comments, direction and help! Found the culprit today.

Male pins on wheel sensor connection were not making contact with the female after reconnection. Guess we were to rough on an eleven year old chevy part when we pulled that apart during the cam install operation. All parts and harness tested OK but only a real close inspection of the conection at the hub came thru,,,,gold!!!! ABS and TC working perfectly.

Again, Thanks for the input!

Get notified of new replies

To Code 1233 after cam install, a few questions

Quick Reply: Code 1233 after cam install, a few questions