C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and Pinion rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Rack and Pinion rebuild kit?

Anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the rack and pinion? I have a seal leaking and I'm not going to spend $400 for a rack if I can rebuild this one with new seals.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default steering rack rebuild

Zip corvettes will do a rebuild for $225 with core exchange.

IF you go to turnone, which is what I recommend, the guy is an ex GM steering engineer, he will remanufacture the rack with rack dyno testing, $250 for that.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by brrymnvette
Anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the rack and pinion? I have a seal leaking and I'm not going to spend $400 for a rack if I can rebuild this one with new seals.
So you consider a steering rack "rebuilt", just changing the seals? Do you work for Autozone?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Cratecruncher
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know exactly where it's leaking. Reason I ask is because I had a small but messy leak coming from the unit near the steering pinion. When I replaced my harmonic balancer the hydraulic lines had to be detached. The little neoprene o-rings were hard as a rock and triangle shaped. Buttoned it back together with fresh o-rings and no more leak! Of course, your results may vary.....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher
Do you know exactly where it's leaking. Reason I ask is because I had a small but messy leak coming from the unit near the steering pinion. When I replaced my harmonic balancer the hydraulic lines had to be detached. The little neoprene o-rings were hard as a rock and triangle shaped. Buttoned it back together with fresh o-rings and no more leak! Of course, your results may vary.....
Good tip, that's what mine is doing although not too bad yet.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
So you consider a steering rack "rebuilt", just changing the seals? Do you work for Autozone?
I consider it rebuilt when it's been rebuilt. But good try at being a smart ***.

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher
Yeah, I know exactly where it's leaking. Had it on the rack at our shop already to pinpoint exactly where it was. So, it's either rebuild it or waste money to get a rebuilt one when I'm more than capable of doing it myself. But, that's a good tip though.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 PM
3dwaxmill
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find a seal kit for your rack and pinion?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good time to swap the harmonic balancer out while the rack is out.

Get notified of new replies

To Rack and Pinion rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion rebuild kit?