C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 PM
tom macie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Module

I own an '01 C5 i'm getting notices on the dash that active handling, traction control and abs need servicing took it to the dealership had them pull the codes, and was told the EBCM was bad and needed to be replaced was quoted $1700.00! I found one on the net, its original GM part still in original unopened container with correct part #12216561 for better than half what the dealer wants .... QUESTION: what am i getting into? i was told its going to need to be programmed, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM
GETUONE
Instructor

Location: Mobile,Alabama When someone tells me they've always wanted a Corvette,I say...GETUONE.

I had the same problem with my 2002. The local Chevy dealer wanted $1800.00 to replace it. I bought a new one from the Parts Ladi in Destin,FL. for $700.00 and installed it myself. It's very easy to replace, only six screws hold it on. I did not have to reprogram it. I have not had any lights or codes since.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

www.absfixer.com can fix it for cheap. Common issue, you can pull your own codes from the DIC
Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

The first thing you need to pull the codes yourself using the link below. Then post up the codes here so we can see what the problem my be.

http://web.archive.org/web/200306051...D=26&TopicID=1
Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 PM
GETUONE
Instructor

Location: Mobile,Alabama When someone tells me they've always wanted a Corvette,I say...GETUONE.

There are only certain codes and problems that he can repair. I sent my original EBCM to him and he could not fix it. It would be worth it to contact him with your codes before buying a new one to see if he can fix it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tom macie
I own an '01 C5 i'm getting notices on the dash that active handling, traction control and abs need servicing took it to the dealership had them pull the codes, and was told the EBCM was bad and needed to be replaced was quoted $1700.00! I found one on the net, its original GM part still in original unopened container with correct part #12216561 for better than half what the dealer wants .... QUESTION: what am i getting into? i was told its going to need to be programmed, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
So they put a tech 2 scanner on it & it was not handshaking/communicating ? I would not give them 1700.00 ,I just priced one. @ www.gmpartshouse.com. for a 99-00 w/active brake cntl for 448.32 & it is an oem brand new ebcm so give gene a call & he can hook you up,there is a sequence of key in the on postion cycle of on/off with the key for a ceratin amount of time for the ebcm & the pcm to do a handshake a communication process before u are able to start & drive your car,u can either pm Bill Curlee & see if he can give u that info or someone here may have it,once u get this info u can literally take your car back from the dealer & do this I your garage & will save you lots of money,I will see if I can find the relearn process for you on the ebcm & u can go from there.When I put a new pcm in my car it had to go thru a relearn with the ebcm,I would suspect that putting in a new ebcm would require the same ,maybe I'm wrong someone else may chime in either clairfy this or you may ask the dealer about a relearn process if it requires one for your ebcm

Last edited by fsuforever; 01-29-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 AM
tom macie
Heel & Toe

Wow thanks for the response! That just got Corvette forum a new subscriber. I come from more of a late 60's early 70's mc "old school" im going to have to relearn a few things.
To the point at hand i ran diag display mode and pulled 25 codes all but 1 ended in "H" the code that didn't was from 28-TCS C1214 H C help any?

This is my 1st vette bought it to "play" with but before that i want to make sure the electronics are functioning
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tom macie
Wow thanks for the response! That just got Corvette forum a new subscriber. I come from more of a late 60's early 70's mc "old school" im going to have to relearn a few things.
To the point at hand i ran diag display mode and pulled 25 codes all but 1 ended in "H" the code that didn't was from 28-TCS C1214 H C help any?

This is my 1st vette bought it to "play" with but before that i want to make sure the electronics are functioning
This is the EXACT error absfixer repairs-bad relay inside the ECBM. Check out his site, he has instructions on how to remove the module and ship it to him-you can drive the car while it's out-only takes a couple of days to turn it around and the repair in less than $200 and guaranteed for life.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

just PM'd him my EBCM tutorial on this
Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
GETUONE
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
This is the EXACT error absfixer repairs-bad relay inside the ECBM. Check out his site, he has instructions on how to remove the module and ship it to him-you can drive the car while it's out-only takes a couple of days to turn it around and the repair in less than $200 and guaranteed for life.
You lucked out on this. Brandon at ABSfixer will save you a lot of money! As far as your computer having to "relearn" the EBCM all I did was install it and crank up and go. I didn't have to do anything else as far as I can remember. You will need a torx socket set. On one of the screws a long screwdriver will hit a pulley on the engine and you will need something short to line up straight. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:56 AM
flyingjoey
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the part number for ecbm for 99 without handling .. ? I have just that traction control button.

Last edited by flyingjoey; 06-11-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

This thread is 6 1/2 years old.
Why don't you start a new thread and state what the problem is, along with any trouble codes before you buy a used EBTCM ( you can't buy a new one). I think you mentioned in another thread that you couldn't shut off the traction control. That could be something as simple as a bad ground.

Get notified of new replies

To EBC Module

Quick Reply: EBC Module