C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatory Bose speaker "popping" Whats the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM
DVRider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fatory Bose speaker "popping" Whats the cause?

Have a 04 Coupe and the passenger door speaker makes a popping sound. The sound is always at the same volume no matter how low or loud I have the music volume. The factory head unit is gone and there is a Kenwood flip up monitor in there now. I have been told that Bose speakers use a amplifier to run the speakers and that the front one might have a bad crossover, but this is all guessing on their part. Seems like they are all afraid to touch it. I need help!!!!!!! Please!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Swap the L to R, and R to L, that will let you know if the Spk Assy is bad. If you were local, I have extra ones you could try.

Last edited by byronhunter; 01-28-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Paris Hilton's Dog
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The same type of problem happened to a 1991 Corvette I used to have. In my case, it was caused by failed electrolytic capacitors on the amp circuit boards. I replaced all the electrolytic caps with tantalum caps and everything was fine after that. I understand it was a relatively common problem with several cars (not just Corvettes) from that era.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 AM
The Boy Racer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same exact thing happened to mine. After dickin around with it, I finally caved in and bought a used BOSE speaker off of a totaled car (70$)

I had always just figured it was because my car is tracked and goes through a lot of vibrations.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but doesn't BOSE use a weird resistance or something? (4ohms vs 8ohms)

Good to know (not for you) that it wasn't just me.

Get notified of new replies

To Fatory Bose speaker "popping" Whats the cause?

Quick Reply: Fatory Bose speaker "popping" Whats the cause?