C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can turning the steering without engine running cause steering rack leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can turning the steering without engine running cause steering rack leaks?

Earlier in the week I had an issue with the TPS system giving me problems and while I was stuck in the parking lot I turned the steering hard side to side a few times to get access to the passenger wheel well access panel since I couldn't jack up the car and was trying to not run it until I checked out some things. I was under there today and noticed a steering fluid leak from the driver side dust boot. Could turning things without the pump running have caused pressure to leak past the seals? The reservoir was down just below the cold mark on the dipstick, so it wasn't very low. I just topped things off with some Lucas Oil Stop Leak steering fluid in the event it might help things. I'd rather not have to change the steering rack at the moment and haven't seen seal replacement kits available while I was looking around.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

nope.. i have never heard of turning the wheel with the engine off causing damage to the rack...

time to replace the rack.... or find a shop that can rebuild it for you...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Hopefully the stop leak will slow things up enough then that I can change it after this semester is done when I have money again.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wash it off real good then watch it for leaks, more then likely all you did was push oil out the reservoir cap vent.
Yes it will push oil out there and it will run down onto the left dust boot on the rack.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

No --not if the engine was NOT running----I have heard of the power steering pump or rack to fail when having the belt off and driving it however---
Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Wash it off real good then watch it for leaks, more then likely all you did was push oil out the reservoir cap vent.
Yes it will push oil out there and it will run down onto the left dust boot on the rack.
I did hear a little pressure release when I took the cap off, but by that point the fluid level was low, but I will hope that is the problem

Thanks,
Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Can turning the steering without engine running cause steering rack leaks?

Quick Reply: Can turning the steering without engine running cause steering rack leaks?