C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok need help before she goes in shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok need help before she goes in shop

I have been having an issue. My car is making a noise (whiny and raspy) and onw it is making an old mill saw type sound when I touch the brakes (only for the first second), but if i put it in neutral with clutch out it goes COMPLETELY AWAY right then.

I know i have to take it it but i was wondering if someone could point tme as to what part it probably is so i dont get screwed (throw out bearing maybe?)

thanks for all your help
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A little more specific info might help to narrow down the possible source of the noise.
Does it seem to be coming from the brakes or the clutch/throwout bearing area?
Not a lot of connection between the two (that I can think of.)
Too much info is never a bad thing.

From the information supplied(assuming the brakes have nothing to do with the noise),I'd say,since it goes away with the car in neutral,and the clutch out,that the pilot bearing is toast,and the noises you hear(whiny and raspy) are what's left of the bearing eating up the end of your propshaft.
But I'm just making a guess-it could be the throwout bearing,or something else in the clutch area.
IF it is coming from that "expensive" area inside the bellhousing,it won't be a cheap fix,because anything that has to be done in there involves dropping the drivetrain.

If you give some more details,someone else may chime in with better news,but from what I can GUESS from the info supplied,you're probably looking at about 2k in parts and labor
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks carcass...the noise happens when i hit the brakes but i believe its the shift in momentum causes whatevers wrong to be worse......monday she hits the shop.

Get notified of new replies

To ok need help before she goes in shop

Quick Reply: ok need help before she goes in shop