C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z shocks installed but,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM
kj217
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6Z shocks installed but,,

I have replaced the useless F45 shocks of my 99 coupe with C6Z,, installation was straight forward,, no codes,,
but the car sat way higher than before,, is that expected?
should i lower it on the bolts or wait for a couple of days before i do?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM
JMWarren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you driven it yet? The suspension may just need some time to settle....
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

I think they do sit a little higher with the C6 ZO6 shocks. As said, with some driving, it will settle a little more than what you are seeing now.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It takes some driving or several days of sitting for the suspension to settle back down.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

You do have to drive the car some distance to get the suspension to go back to ride height after the car has been lifted. This happens with any car with a-arms. The a-arms hang at an angle. When lowered to the ground, the tires stick on the ground and the a-arms wedge between the tire and frame at an angle holding the car higher than normal. On some cars, you can actually hear the tires slide in towards the middle of the car as it's lifted.

The F45 shocks have no gas pressure in them. The C6Z06 shocks must take at least 100lbs each to compress the gas charge. I put one end on the floor and leaned on them quite heavily to compress them and tie them down before installing them. Will the car will show a noticable ride height change if the shocks are holding up 400lbs instead of the springs? I'm not sure but I think it might be noticable but it should not be "way higher".

Peter
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

There are two parts to the story. First, they do take about 500 miles or so to settle down. Also, you'll have to consider that even if you replaced your shocks with the stock shocks on your vehicle, it would sit higher simply because they're new, so you'll have to drive it for a little bit and then make adjustments.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Toxiclemonade
Racer

Since we are on the topic, can I replace the shocks on my 2000 with c6z shocks? Car has 126k on the clock so they probably need to be replaced. To be honost I am not sure what suspension my car has, I believe it is the magnetic suspension. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Toxiclemonade
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
A 2000 is not going to have the magnetic suspension (RPO F55). That RPO did not come out until 2003 for the C5.

On the center console do you have a switch (circular) that allow you to select the ride? If so then you have the legendary F45 Selective Real Time Damping option. The RPO number F45 should also be on the list of RPO's on the inside of the glove box door.

If you have the F45 RPO, then you will need to either install resistors or the "simulator Kit" (which is nothing more than packeged resistors) in order to fool the computer before installing shocks that are NOT real time damping. The RTD replacement shocks are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive that the C6Z06 shocks. If you install non-RTD shocks without the resistors/simulators to fool the computer your speed will be limited to something like 85MPH. Do a search on the forum and you will find plenty of reading about the resistors you need to buy and/or the simulator kits available.
Yes I have the F45 suspension then. I will do a search and see what I have to do to replace the shocks. Is this a pretty decent upgrade to go from the f45 to the c6z shocks? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxiclemonade
Yes I have the F45 suspension then. I will do a search and see what I have to do to replace the shocks. Is this a pretty decent upgrade to go from the f45 to the c6z shocks? Thanks.
i have a 99 coupe and swapped out the f45 shocks 3 years ago, i went with c5 z06 shocks .firms up the ride but not harsh . if you can find someone with a tech II programmer they can turn off the f45 suspension and you will not need resistors, but you must disconnect the f45 controller after you have shut it down.
john

Last edited by redazz; 01-16-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
neaz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Toxiclemonade
Probably the best thing you'll ever do for your C5. I did the sims since i just wanted to snap into place and not have to do the extra work doing the resistors individually

Personal note, my car sits a full inch higher with the Z shocks, been 10K since changing them so no doubt I'll need to lower at this point
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 AM
kj217
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it a day and night difference,, one of the best mods i have done to my C5,,
what i have done is that i pulled the control valves from F45 shocks and kept them connected and zip-tied to body frame,,

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z shocks installed but,,

Quick Reply: C6Z shocks installed but,,