C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a question answered ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Z06 4 Me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a question answered ASAP!

Hi Everyone,
I have a question for you tech guys. I went to look at a vette that I am thinking of buying.
It has a ls6 that is bored and stroked to a 440ci. It has a breather filter mounted on the oil filler cap. When the car was sitting there idling a noticeable amount of vapors were coming out of
that filter. Is that normal?
Thanks for you help!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
bucketlist1957
Instructor

Default No

You should not see smoke coming out of the breather! Just my opinion. A lot of high HP motors even require additional vaccum besides the PCV system to keep the crank case pressure nuteral. It could also indicate another more serious problem. The reason I under lined my opinion is there are several people on hear think you don't need PCV and valve cover vents are all that is required.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06 4 Me
Hi Everyone,
I have a question for you tech guys. I went to look at a vette that I am thinking of buying.
It has a ls6 that is bored and stroked to a 440ci. It has a breather filter mounted on the oil filler cap. When the car was sitting there idling a noticeable amount of vapors were coming out of
Thanks for you help!
It's not uncommon for highly modified cars to run tubes from the breathers to the header collector for crankcase ventilation. The downside for street cars is inadequate venturi effect at idle, fumes, smoke and legality.

Long story short, if it's blowing vapor out the breather it's likely just an indication of improper baffling under the breather. The lack of a proper pcv setup can be seen as an indication that other areas were patched over as well. Inspect the rest of the car closely.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 4 Me
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for you help!
No offense, but if you have to ask a question like this, then chances are, you many not be able to evaluate what has been done to a modified engine. See if you can team up with a local forum member, who is knowledgeable in modded C5's, so they can point out potential pitfalls, poor workmanship, etc.....or.....see if the owner will agree to have the car inspected at a corvette shop of your choice.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 AM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No it isn't normal in my opinion either. If there's that much positive crankcase pressure at idle, something ain't right.

I guess I haven't been paying attention. When did people start getting 440CID out of an LS6? Resleeve?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:38 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Run away. . . . run away. . . .
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

It is just an indication that SOME IDIOT has modified the car.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kp1
No it isn't normal in my opinion either. If there's that much positive crankcase pressure at idle, something ain't right.

I guess I haven't been paying attention. When did people start getting 440CID out of an LS6? Resleeve?
Yes resleeved. A 4.125 bore w 4.00 stroke is a 427. so it has been bored probably to the max of the sleeve. A tall deck block can get 500+ ci in what is still a small block engine.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

RUN FOREST!!! RUN!!

Here,,,, READ THIS POST!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...is-normal.html
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnape
Yes resleeved. A 4.125 bore w 4.00 stroke is a 427. so it has been bored probably to the max of the sleeve. A tall deck block can get 500+ ci in what is still a small block engine.

See post #4. You could have a jewel or a turd. The key words are, "who is knowledgeable in modded C5's, so they can point out potential pitfalls, poor workmanship, etc..."
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BigGun
See post #4. You could have a jewel or a turd. The key words are, "who is knowledgeable in modded C5's, so they can point out potential pitfalls, poor workmanship, etc..."
I agree. You either have a damaged/ defective or NON Functioning PCV System OR the ring blow by is FAR GREATER than it is suppose to be which overcomes the PCV system or BOTH.

Get someone that is well versed in LS Engines who has ZERO emotional stake in the car to evaluate and report the source of the issue.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Need a question answered ASAP!

Quick Reply: Need a question answered ASAP!