C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering issues ....need help asap.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
jaredbranhamz06
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering issues ....need help asap.......

just did a cam swap in my 01 z06 and when i did the first startup i got a service engine soon and then serivce active handling and the code is c1287 ....

never had the code prior to the upgrades , and i might of turned the wheel a bit with it unhooked while i was getting the steering rack out of the way , but is there a way i can center the steering up or what i need to do to get rid of the code ?????????
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

If by a bit you mean you turned it one turn then you have to turn it back that one turn. If you can get access to pins 5 and 6 on the sensor while still having them connected adjust the voltage at each pin by turning the steering wheel so it reads 2.5 volts. They will vary with one going higher while the other goes lower. If the difference between the two voltages is increasing then you are turning the wrong way. If it is decreasing keep going. When the reading is 2.5 volts on both pins the sensor should be centered. Make sure you use 10 Meg Ohm input impedance DVMs to make the measurements.

Could also use one meter and connect between the two pins and turn the wheel to drive the voltage reading to 0.

Bill
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
jaredbranhamz06
8th Gear

i'll try that also .....

i checked the gray pin 1 wire and it had the 4.9vdc and then i checked the pin 2 orange/black and it was grounded but it had 10ohm resistance .......
i checked across the pin 1 and 2 and got the 4.9vdc .......so i assume thats right i was just worried about the resistance .....

when i check pin 5 which is the light green wire it shows 2.4 ish to 2.5vdc , but when i check the light blue wire on pin 6 it show like 0.333 vdc and as i turn the wheel either way it comes up but it dont get 2.4 vdc untill the steering wheel is about half way ......

i dont understand what to do .......but once i get the 2.4vdc i can clear the code and leave the wheel right there i get rid of the code and then no more active handling or anything untill i move the wheel then the voltage drops back down ......so i dunno .......
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
jaredbranhamz06
8th Gear

i went and got a new steering wheel postion sensor today ,
and i was wondering if i plug the sensor up and check the pin 5 and 6 if the voltage should be there even though it aint on the steering stem itself ......

or does it have to be installed to work correctly ......

need help asap

because i got the 2.5 vdc on pin 5 but i only get 0.333 vdc on pin 6 when the steering wheel is centered ....i duno weather its the sensor or wiring issue ....

Get notified of new replies

To steering issues ....need help asap.......

Quick Reply: steering issues ....need help asap.......